Why do some folk hate Magnolia so passionately?

Started by Marty McSuperfly, April 17, 2003, 05:59:15 AM

phil marlowe

the sigur ros penis was actually posted on these boards a couple of weeks ago. the penis was covered by a simple(but well made) italian panini(means; small bread) but sigur couldnt take the pressure, and has deleted every single footage of him on the net.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Sigur RósI'm just joking......please don't touch my dick[/size]

Magnified it bigger since it was x-small.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pipo

Quote from: redlumDont some people hate what they dont understand? Or what they dont want to understand.
I had the same experience and think that's the only "logical" explanation.
I just stopped having discussions with people didn't like it , just like it for me and myself, should be enough.
Hi, Just passed by...

Crash

I have to admit that after i finished watching Magnolia i wanted to open my head and poke at my brain and ask it "Why did you not understand that? Why?". I hated it. And i told my friend Jonny and he just said i was an idiot farfel.  I hated it because i did not understand it. But unlike these idiots who reviewed it (on the rotten tomatoes site) I felt that there was a deeper meaning than just "let's see how weird i can make this movie by raining frogs!" the point wasn't that it rained frogs. the point was that something phenomenal was happening and nobody knew anything about it or how to stop it. and everyone was helpless. it could've been gravity pulling upwards instead of down or something like that.  and yeah pta does add some little bits just for humors sake. like all the 82's in the movie. like right before sydney barringer jumps there is a spray painted 82 on the little wall that he jumps from. and when the it shows the company dinner there is a sign and it says it starts at 8:20. and craig hansen's plane is number 82. and then there's the whole exodus 8:2 (which pta did not have planned out) but we won't get into that. And i agree that the gun falling from the sky was little too much. it was better in the script with dixon throwing the gun out the window. but the part that really blew my head off was when claudia's mom comes busting into her apartment and they embrace and the camera zooms into that little sign on a painting that says "... but it did happen." i threw me into a frenzy but i loved it cuz it that. anyway, the is need for more depth in this world and the knowledge to take lessons from the things around us.
"Drum roll please...I'm gonna be a screenwriter! Like you!"

Banky

Quote from: MrBurgerKingPerhaps in some cases because Kevin Smith doesn't like it, fans of Mr. Smith will not bring themselves to like that movie. They don't do it on purpose, but subconsciously. They rent the movie in some cases wanting to hate it.

thats not true, (it seems like i am one of the only KS fans)i love Magnolia, i dont give a fuck about what he dislikes or likes.  Im a big QT fan but did i give a fuck that he didnt like Matrix reloaded?nope

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

Banky

Something Spanish

I think Mutinyco can assist us in explaining why people don't dig Magnolia. And after his explanation, we can unleash all our frustrations and anger on'em. C'mon, profanity and all. Who's in?

Sleuth

Wow, nobody even had to mention mutinyco for you to suck his balls this time
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

so I was just on a Christian web board, and I'm arguing with this guy who's all for Kevin Smith bashing PTA and Magnolia.

Magnolia is "self-indulgent" and so on.

Ahh, times like these when I'm so very glad I've found a home here. I had forgotten the outside world, where they don't yet recognize the genuis of Magnolia.

So thanks to everyone. I really do love and appreciate this place.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

kassius

Who cares about Kevin Smith?  His movies have never been nominated for an Oscar, and they never will be.  "Clerks" was a great movie for what it was, a silly film but nothing outstanding.  I don't even know why Mr. Smith opens his mouth as if he knows great work?  He's sold out; resorted to making movies with Jennifer Lopez and minor roles in "Dare Devil" to make a quick buck.

I've lost all respect for him.  His films are fun, but he needs to make like a tree and leave... if he dare compares "Mallrats" to "Magnolia", or anything that PTA has made.

Jeremy Blackman

Why does it have to be PTA or Kevin Smith? And how exactly does an Oscar nomination indicate how good a filmmaker is?

I despise Kevin Smith, though.

kassius

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWhy does it have to be PTA or Kevin Smith? And how exactly does an Oscar nomination indicate how good a filmmaker is?

I despise Kevin Smith, though.

I watch Kevin Smith's movies too... and don't hate him.  I watch a lot of silly/stupid movies for a kick.  And although, his films may contain some raw langauge, they are made for a very young audience... especially "Jake and Silent Bob Strike Back" with Seann William Scott and Shannon Elizabeth.  

I laughed, it's good stuff... but give me a break if we are going to compare him to PTA!  

An Oscar nod is not that important, but I honestly don't think a girl visiting her boyfriend at a convience store to talk about snowballing is up there with the drama in the resturant scene with Claudia and Jim.  

If Smith wants to talk fine, but he needs to try his luck at making a real film before he slams people who do such a fine job of making them like PTA has.

Maybe it's just me???

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ckad79but he needs to try his luck at making a real film
Remember when he was saying this was going to be his first really serious film?

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=369&start=180

:lol:

kassius

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: ckad79but he needs to try his luck at making a real film
Remember when he was saying this was going to be his first really serious film?

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=369&start=180

:lol:

He said it will be Ben's best work.  I just hope it's half as good as the "Body to Die for: The Aaron Henry Story, A". HAHA.