Best/Worst Making-Of Documentaries

Started by hedwig, September 25, 2004, 08:48:27 PM

kotte

Best

That Moment
Because it just kept going.
And since PTA is one of my favourite filmmakers.

21 Grams: In fragments
Because it made me cry.
It's basically a pretty standard featurette but it's what Alejandro says. The poetic touch. His feelings about love and life and death are much like mine.
The thought of the eternity we spend after life makes me mad. To never again see the beautiful things that makes up life.
How life is a painful painful journey but at the end a very beautiful one.
When it ended I was crying.

Heart of Darkness
Documentaries when you really get inside the head and mind of a filmmaker are rare...which makes this one so incredible.
Seeing footage of his son who later died is sad.
I'd be willing to send this to anyone who wants via MSN or ICQ. PM me.

Dogville Confessions
Like HOD, you get inside the thinking of the filmmaker. There are a few really unforgettable moments:
- Kidman crying in Von Triers arms.
- Bettany's argument with Von Trier.

Worst

Not sure. Wanna mention thousands featurettes we get on DVDs...but they're just that, featurettes, not documentaries.

Just Withnail

Quote from: NEON MERCURYthis is just being picky but i hate how on spielberghs dvds of late, he breaks down eveything into featurettes  :roll: , why not lump it all together

Isn't there usually a Play All feature?

mogwai

Quote from: kotteHeart of Darkness
Documentaries when you really get inside the head and mind of a filmmaker are rare...which makes this one so incredible.
Seeing footage of his son who later died is sad.
I'd be willing to send this to anyone who wants via MSN or ICQ. PM me.
is this the coppola one? if may use you only for this documentary i'm game. :yabbse-grin:

edison

The one from Northfork is really good

cowboykurtis

the docs on the thx1138 disc are pretty damn good
...your excuses are your own...

Thrindle

The Lost in Translation one sort of sucked because of it's lack of Scarlet.
Classic.

An intimate portrait of the art of background driving by Lance Bangs

Ghostboy

I like that Lance Bangs fellow.

I forgot to mention the doc on 'Do The Right Thing,' which is pretty extensive and fantastic.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I was just about to note the DTRT documentary.

Eternal Sunshine also had a nice doc with it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

kotte

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobEternal Sunshine also had a nice doc with it.

You think?

I thought the featurette pretty much sucked. They said some good stuff in the Conversation though...

meatball

Quote from: kotte21 Grams: In fragments
Because it made me cry.
It's basically a pretty standard featurette but it's what Alejandro says. The poetic touch. His feelings about love and life and death are much like mine.
The thought of the eternity we spend after life makes me mad. To never again see the beautiful things that makes up life.

Region 2 released a special edition of 21 Grams?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: kotte
I thought the featurette pretty much sucked. They said some good stuff in the Conversation though...

That's what I was thinking of, the Doc wasn't horrible, but the converstaion was better.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

kotte

Quote from: meatball
Because it made me cry.

Nah...

Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajoob
Quote from: kotteI thought the featurette pretty much sucked. They said some good stuff in the Conversation though...

That's what I was thinking of, the Doc wasn't horrible, but the converstaion was better.

You get more feeling for Jim Carrey, the person as opposed to the celebrity.

hedwig

Quote from: kotte
Quote from: meatball
Because it made me cry.

Nah...

Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajoob
Quote from: kotteI thought the featurette pretty much sucked. They said some good stuff in the Conversation though...

You get more feeling for Jim Carrey, the person as opposed to the celebrity.

I agree. And they sort-of unlock the mystery of Pecan Pie.

Kind of...

kotte

Yeah...what the hell was that?? It's not like it made it into the movie.

I know it's a short but is it released somewhere?