Terrence Malick

Started by dufresne, April 17, 2003, 01:42:23 AM

edison

UncleJoey

Oh man . . . I can't wait. Malick rules.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

MacGuffin

That would be good in it's own thread in the Grapevine.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

life_boy

I haven't seen The Thin Red Line since the original theater run back in late 1998/ early 1999.  I remember breathtaking John Toll cinematography and I do remember liking the film, but at the time I was a little immature and easily persuaded by conventional end-of-the-year awards and critical praise.  Is it worth seeing again?  Does the later-Malick hold up to multiple viewings like his older stuff seems to?

kotte

I went to see it with a girl. We made out.

She dumped me the next day.

cine

Quote from: kotteI went to see it with a girl. We made out.

She dumped me the next day.
Why? Is it as deplorable as Seinfeld making out with his date during Schindlers List?

Pubrick

Quote from: cinephileWhy? Is it as deplorable as Seinfeld making out with his date during Schindlers List?
i don't think the two events were connected.
under the paving stones.

cine

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: cinephileWhy? Is it as deplorable as Seinfeld making out with his date during Schindlers List?
i don't think the two events were connected.
well they should've been.. I wouldn't let kotte make out with me during a movie like that either.

SHAFTR

Quote from: flagpolespecial
Quote from: SHAFTRI just saw Days of Heaven.  Wow, that film looks good.  My only gripe about the film is sometimes I feel it felt like a 90 minute montage, instead of letting the story take over.  There were very few "scenes".  I know this works with the girl remembering the experience, but I still wanted more.

i think if you feel this way about a malick movie you don't really like malick movies.

No, I do like Malick movies.  I just sometimes wish his films could be more narrative based while maintaining his poetic style.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

Quote from: SHAFTRI just sometimes wish his films could be more narrative based while maintaining his poetic style.
can't films be narrative through their poetic style?

Alethia

Myxo

They can also be narrative through poetic style and boring as hell.

Thin Red Line bored me to tears.

Looking forward to New World though.

Pastor Parsley

Malick is easily one of my favorite directors but I really have to be in a certain mood to sit down and watch any of his films.  Thin Red line is my least favorites partly due to the voice-over.  Some of those shots have a stillness that would be great with a little silence.

Alethia

i love the voice-overs, personally.  i love how non-specific they are.  often you don't know who the fuck is talking.  it's everyones thoughts being expressed.  but of course we all know that.

RegularKarate

The voice overs suck... they almost ruin the movie.

I have heard (can anyone confirm?) that the voice overs were not originally intended to be included in the movie.  That would have made it a million times better.  The film is so visually amazing that the voice overs make it like dancing with a beautiful, classy woman while some drunk, ugly chick tries to pull down your pants for a quick handjob.