Save Me ending question .... how did he do it?

Started by Marty McSuperfly, May 30, 2003, 06:15:31 AM

Marty McSuperfly

Right, I'll try and keep this short and to the point, but I might ramble.

I think one of the key reasons the wonderful final scene of Magnolia works so well because of how it is timed perfectly with the music. (JCR's car moves off as the song begins, Melora's look to camera is just at the point the music peaks etc) What I want to know though is theories on how it was done.

I notice in the Making of... documentary that when the scene was filmed there was no music playing on set, so how did PTA time JCR's speech to end at exactly the right point for Melora look up (which itself was in perfect synch with the song)?

Is it really easy to do or did PTA just make it look easy? I've watched that scene in awe dozens of times and still can figure out how he'd time it all so perfectly.

well.. It can be really easy..  even if its not well thought out, which this movie obviously was..

I mean.. not a lot of things are synched up with the words/music except for those that you mentioned...  so he would only need the time from the begining of the song to those points.. and then he knows he only has X ammount of time to show what he needs to before he sets up the last shot.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

neatahwanta

godardian

Quote from: Marty McSuperfly
Is it really easy to do or did PTA just make it look easy? I've watched that scene in awe dozens of times and still can figure out how he'd time it all so perfectly.

Since Reilly's face isn't even onscreen at all for the entire scene, if anything didn't work out in the actual original sound, they could just loop it with him later, and it would still seem quite seamless.

I'm not sure if they actually did that, but if there's any scene where some looping wouldn't make any noticeable difference, it's that.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pedro

Quote from: neatahwanta82, your avatar gives me nightmares.
Ol buddy dwyer!

Sally O'Malley

Quote from: 82I mean.. not a lot of things are synched up with the words/music except for those that you mentioned...  so he would only need the time from the begining of the song to those points.. and then he knows he only has X ammount of time to show what he needs to before he sets up the last shot.
ur not giving him enuff cred, lil more to it than that.

hear the full speech in that moment, but it was written to be thick and arbitrary, so u caught what u needed and got the point, not having to recieve every word spoken...for the film u were only meant catch the broad strokes that give across love;
Quote"......just wanted to come here, come here to say something.......now you.......good, beautiful person........be with me, see......"

pt cued the monolouge perfectly with the song, obviously with all the other actions/beats and amped the audio a tad @ those select lines....my guess would be ADR, why not?
..the 'highlander' was a documentary and the events happend in real time.

Jon

(82, I saw that video a few years ago, yech.)

In the documentry you also see Claudia's mom walking a way, which probably means either he shot knowing how much time he had but wanted to give the actors a nice, real environment, or, he thought he had more time and waned to give the actors a nice, real environment.

P.S. Anyone who wants to be totally grossed out go to //tubgirl.com. But be forewarned. Seriously.

Alethia