Southcliffe

Started by wilder, July 17, 2013, 02:58:45 PM

wilder

A four-part drama of the fallout that affects a small English town that is left rocked and shaken after a series of shootings take place over one day.

Directed by Sean Durkin (Martha Marcy May Marlene)
Written by Tony Grisoni (The Red Riding Trilogy)
Starring Eddie Marsan, Shirley Henderson, Rory Kinnear, Sean Harris, Joe Dempsie, Kaya Scodelario, Nichola Burley, and Anatol Yusef
Premieres August 4, 2013 on Channel 4 UK

wilder

Saw the first couple episodes. Just based on those two hours I think I can say, without exaggeration, that Sean Harris is one of the best actors I've ever seen, reminds me a bit of John Cazale. His presence is so incredibly intense and searing. Hadn't seen him in anything else prior to this except Prometheus, but plan on going through his past work now that I've seen the light.

Watch this for the performances, and especially for his.

Here's an interview with Durkin for this series.

Edit - Wanted to elaborate a bit. Harris' performance completely lacks ego. As internal as he is, he's a bundle of raw nerve endings, and you can see him conscious of and reacting to every bit of minutiae happening around him. Sometimes when even great actors give totally immersive performances, their focus on their own body language and affect etc. detracts a little from their ability to listen to the other actors in their scenes. I haven't seen many other actors listen so completely and intently with as much concentration as this man.

Pubrick

dammit i'm trying to steal this but ep1 is really hard to find, while ep2 is readily available.
under the paving stones.

wilder

wilder

There's a scene in episode one where Sean Harris' character is working at a wealthier man's house, doing something to the chimney. He politely asks to be paid some money he's owed for earlier handiwork he'd done for this guy. The more affluent man attempts to snub him, says "Okay, 75 was it?" and Harris' character counters "100, you said." "Alright, 100, then" the wealthier man agrees. Who knows if this was Durkin's direction or choices made by the actors, but what's really great about the way the scene plays is that the wealthier man is lying, yet exhibits no shame, and Sean Harris' character, in having to ask the for the money he needs so desperately, and is holding to their agreement about, does. It's a subtle thing but it makes otherwise less dynamic dialogue that much more complex and resonating. I live for stuff like that.

wilder

Now streaming on Netflix

Garam

this show is monotonous but still definitely worth it. The first half's better than the second though, from memory.