how would you rank his films so far?

Started by Robyn, October 23, 2017, 09:37:05 PM

Fuzzy Dunlop

Favorites, with guesses as to how many times I've watched them / had them on in the room:

Magnolia (80+)
Boogie Nights (100+)
The Master (7)
Chere Mill Be Blood (15)
Punch-Drunk Love (30)
Hard Eight (35)
Inherent Vice (5)

modage

Literally can't believe we don't have a thread for this already but...

1. Magnolia
2. Boogie Nights
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Punch-Drunk Love
5. The Master
6. Inherent Vice
7. Hard Eight

I think Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood are locked in a tie for best but Magnolia will always be my favorite.

On my personal list I think I just have to accept that the BOOGIExMAGGIExCHEREMILL Top 3 is probably never changing.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

axxonn

1. Inherent Vice
2. Punch-Drunk Love
3. The Master
4. Magnolia
5. There Will Be Blood
6. Boogie Nights
7. Hard Eight

Kal

1) Boogie Nights
2) Magnolia
3) There Will Be Blood
4) Punch Drunk Love
5) The Master
6) Hard Eight
7) Inherent Vice

I think as I get older, I don't get to re-watch new things as much as I used to. I'll re-watch older films still over and over again, but I haven't re-watched recent films more than once or twice even if I love them. Maybe Inherent Vice will grow more on me if I watch it more...

#1 is a no brainer for me, #2 and #3 are pretty close.

RegularKarate

1. Maggie
2. Cherey
3. Punchy
4. Boogie
5. Masty
6. Vicey
7. Sidney

jenkins

Boogie Nights
Inherent Vice
Punch-Drunk Love
Magnolia
Hard Eight
The Master
There Will Be Blood

wilberfan

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 24, 2017, 12:24:59 PM
1. Maggie
2. Cherey
3. Punchy
4. Boogie
5. Masty
6. Vicey
7. Sidney

These made me smile, but you gotta help a brother out:  "Cherey"?   I'm not getting the reference...

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

wilberfan

As of this posting, here's where the various films have been ranked.   Not sure what it means yet, other than Hard Eight and Inherent Vice seem to rank the lowest most often.  And Magnolia and There Will Be Blood the highest most often...

jenkins

we gotta wait to see TUBA's list, that'll clear things up

Robyn

at least we agree on calling it cmbb.

Quote from: KJ on October 23, 2017, 09:37:05 PM
7. sydney
Quote from: BigSock on October 23, 2017, 09:42:04 PM
7. Hard 8
Quote from: wilberfan on October 23, 2017, 09:43:23 PM
6. Hard Eight
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman link=topic=13779.msg349690#msg349690
7. Hard Sydney

wilberfan

If you award 7-points to a first-place vote, 6-points to a 2nd-place vote...

Again, Magnolia and TWBB seem to be at the top, Hard 8 clearly at the bottom, with Boogie, Punch, Master pretty close in the middle. 

(This Boogie Nights obsessive is rather surprised.  At least it made it to the podium.  Bronze ain't bad, I guess.)

HACKANUT

Quote from: Reelist on October 24, 2017, 09:35:48 AM
I can never believe someone who says they've seen a movie over 50 times, unless you actually made that movie or you're 4 years old watching "Frozen". My conclusion is that you may have pressed play and had it on in the room 50 times, but you haven't actually sat down and seen the thing front to back that much. That's just too many goddamn times! The only movie I could honestly say I might have watched that much is Disney's "Beauty And The Beast" because it was the first VHS I ever owned so it I played it like clockwork everyday after school.

I mean, it is just a guess, but there was a time there when the dvd came out that i watched it about 5 times a week for months. i'm really not exaggerating there. and I have seen it at least 5 times this year alone. The Master is totally the Frozen of my inner 4 year old:)

wilberfan

Quote from: HACKANUT on October 24, 2017, 05:14:30 PM
Quote from: Reelist on October 24, 2017, 09:35:48 AM
I can never believe someone who says they've seen a movie over 50 times, unless you actually made that movie or you're 4 years old watching "Frozen".

I mean, it is just a guess, but there was a time there when the dvd came out that i watched it about 5 times a week for months. i'm really not exaggerating there. and I have seen it at least 5 times this year alone. The Master is totally the Frozen of my inner 4 year old:)

A little off-topic, but I was obsessed with Kubrick and 2001 back in the day and once wrote down every time I'd seen it.  It's always been in a theater (to this day I've never watched it on TV), and the total got up into the low-30s... 

Something Spanish

Watched Magnolia for the first time in almost 8 years for confirmation and here's mine:

Magnolia
Inherent Vice
Punch-Drunk Love
The Master
There Will Be Blood
Boogie Nights
Hard Eight

"I want you to come in with me, and I want you to stay away from me"