song intro that kicks ass (more than the song itself)

Started by pete, December 18, 2005, 08:18:07 PM

pete

there are intros to songs that I love to songs that are just kinda okay.  please join in the fun and list them with me!  any song with a good intro is allowed on this here list, but specify the case when the intro is better than the song itself.

the who - boba o'reilly
wallflowers - one headlight (as soon as the dude started singing the song plunged)
talib kweli - Guerilla Monsoon (the whole song sounded like the intro)
black star - redefinition
Cake - let me go
chad and jeremy - summer songs
cymande - bra
dungeon family - follow the light
sola - boya's adventures (it's this blues and Chinese music fusion band, and the intro had some cool xither jamming with the bass and the organ, but then the lady started singing and it got weird)
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

context, context, context.

Alethia

i dont know if its better than the song itself, but bob dylan bursting into laughter on his acoustic for ten seconds then having the band suddenly jump in and kick the number off (Bob Dylan's 115th Dream) on Bringing It All Back Home is pretty damn awesome i think

noyes

south america's my name.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

These aren't to assume the rest of the song sucks, but just to highlight that the intro sticks out in my mind more than the rest of the song.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Rich

Yes - Heart of the Sunrise

Postal Service - Brand New Colony

Fiery Furnaces - South Is Only A Home

Nine Inch Nails - We're In This Together Now
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajoob on December 22, 2005, 12:35:33 PM
Yes - Heart of the Sunrise

Good call.

Can't believe no Wes Anderson fans have mentioned:

Devo - Gut Feeling

Jeremy Blackman

A couple Queen songs come to mind...

'39
Death on Two Legs

Reinhold

i adore the rest of the song too, but Andrew Bird's intro to Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left is great.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

NEON MERCURY

Redlum

Tears for Fears - Everybody loves a happy ending

Because it feels like a 360 steadicam shot. You are then woken from this drifitng, one minute intro by an alarm clock which is really annoying and spoils my appreciation of the rest of the song.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas