The Beach Bum

Started by jenkins, September 07, 2018, 12:03:54 PM

jenkins

Alethia

Seems such a far cry from the Harmony I fell in love with back in the early 00s, but damned if I'm not totally excited for this.

jenkins

same. his path toward finding his voice was more thrilling than his comfort in it. but it's a weird voice so i continue to support him by principle.

Yes

So....

I saw this at a screening of anyone wants to message for more details. Trailer about sums it up, but it's more plot driven than you would expect

Alethia

This was...fun enough, I suppose. Lots to enjoy, certainly, but like Spring Breakers it's so repetitive that it starts to drag even at 95 mins. The actors are all great, everyone seems to be having a ball, it's rulllllll pretty...but I also still kind of can't believe this is where Korine has ended up. Cool to see him releasing weird-ass ostensibly uncommercial fare into multiplexes, and I hope those opportunities keep coming, but he's not the artist he used to be, at least for me. I enjoyed this overall but it also confirms some bittersweet things.

Spoiler: ShowHide
I now have to accept the fact that there is a terrible Deep-Blue-Sea lookin' CGI shark in a Harmony Korine movie. If this had occurred fifteen years ago I would have had a meltdown.

It's worth seeing once. Get as high as possible.

Robyn

I haven't seen this, but I think Mister Lonely > Spring Breakers > The Beach Bum make sense as far as creative growth goes. It's Trash Humpers that's the odd one.

Alethia

Yeah, it's really more that the Kids/Gummo/Julien-Donkey Boy trio had such an impact on me in my mid-to-late teens - the effects of which have stayed with me to this day - that watching something like this, while I am able to enjoy it, I still feel a sense of loss. I felt this too with Mr. Lonely (which I LOVE) and Spring Breakers (which I enjoyed but have not revisited). I accept it.

Anyway, this movie is sitting cozily with me despite my misgivings. Go see it everyone. It's highly enjoyable if you let it be.

Alethia

I still love Harmony, but he's become like the H&M version of who he used to be.

WorldForgot

This was so rad.
It was also ridiculously stupid.

Korine-gagz, set within the framework of a 90s raunchcom ala Sandler/Carrey.

Alethia

Right? I was just about to say the score, at some points, sounded like fucking Liar Liar or something, and sure enough, I look it up, and it's the same composer (John Debney!)

csage97

Quote from: eward on April 01, 2019, 08:40:42 AM
Yeah, it's really more that the Kids/Gummo/Julien-Donkey Boy trio had such an impact on me in my mid-to-late teens - the effects of which have stayed with me to this day - that watching something like this, while I am able to enjoy it, I still feel a sense of loss. I felt this too with Mr. Lonely (which I LOVE) and Spring Breakers (which I enjoyed but have not revisited). I accept it.

Anyway, this movie is sitting cozily with me despite my misgivings. Go see it everyone. It's highly enjoyable if you let it be.

I still love Harmony, but he's become like the H&M version of who he used to be.

Ah, this sort of feeling really sucks. It can be bittersweet when the artist's newer stuff is still good, but the earlier stuff is just ... it had that something. My condolences go out to you.

That said, I am still excited to see this. It does look like a good time. I think Matthew McConaughey is a good actor and does well in the right role, and he looks like he'll be a riot in this one. Just this night, I remembered I saw an ad somewhere on the internet which signaled the release day was getting close, and so I decided to look it up .... Sure enough, it's playing at the theatre in my city's mall! I can't believe it. I'm going to see it either tomorrow or the next day.

Yes

Rewatched first time since test screening. Only change I remember is Moondog asking Efron what his name is.

Movie is still fun, aimless and at times grueling/repetitive. But the cast goes for it. This is Korine at his broadest, most mainstream.

I discovered a draft of The Trap that I will read soon.

Something Spanish

Movie's a blast, doubly so for me as a transplanted Floridian. Sure it meanders in quick cut montages of MTV length attention spans for a while, building up momentum for very enjoyable romps, but that is part of the charm until the thing really gets going. The Zac Efron/Martin Lawrence scenes had me laughing my ass off. I can see drawing a Sandler/Carrey comedies allusion, short lived though they may be, this is more of a character piece, a depraved , pot prevalent one. Flick is definitely not for everyone, felt as close to a stoner art house flick as possible. Personally, I had a blast, so much fun simply reveling in Moondog's airhead reverence. Felt very improvisational, although I wouldn't be surprised to learn the opposite. Has there ever been more weed smoked in a single film than this one?