Woody Allen

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2003, 11:46:16 PM

Alethia

watch all of his films in order

godardian

Setting aside my own personal favorites, I would introduce you by order of legend and popular stature, and then if your interest is at all piqued, work your way into the good stuff.

Start with Annie Hall and Manhattan, followed by Bullets Over Broadway and Hannah and her Sisters.

If you go for those, do Purple Rose of Cairo and Crimes and Misdemeanors.

After that, Husbands and Wives (my personal favorite), Stardust Memories, Zelig, and Radio Days.

Once you've made it that far, it's a free-for-all; just dig in, and you won't be disappointed (except maybe for the last 3 Allen films and some of the pre-Annie Hall stuff, though Sleeper is much better than you might think, even in comparison to his later, more cinematic work).

Good luck, and enjoy.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

RegularKarate

They're all wrong... do it like this:

-Crimson Tide
-U571
-The Borne Identity (not the remake, we're talking the Woody Allen ORIGINAL!)

Mesh

Quote from: godardianSetting aside my own personal favorites, I would introduce you by order of legend and popular stature, and then if your interest is at all piqued, work your way into the good stuff.

Start with Annie Hall and Manhattan, followed by Bullets Over Broadway and Hannah and her Sisters.

If you go for those, do Purple Rose of Cairo and Crimes and Misdemeanors.

After that, Husbands and Wives (my personal favorite), Stardust Memories, Zelig, and Radio Days.

I'd put Radio Days where you put Bullets Over Broadway, but other than that, sound Woody advice.

:lol:

pookiethecat

stringstroker- i haven't seen much woody allen either.  this thread was valuable to me too.
i wanna lick 'em.

dufresne

Manhattan is my favorite Woody Allen film, but i'm not sure if i like it so much for Woody Allen or for Gordon Willis.

hmmm....
There are shadows in life, baby.

Pas

Quote from: Mesh
I'm gonna go ahead and score some Woody films we've mentioned.  Outta 10 possible points:

Zelig - 7.4
Radio Days - 8.8
Celebrity - 7.1
Deconstructing Harry - 9.6
Annie Hall - 10.0
Mighty Aphrodite - 8.6
Small Time Crooks - 6.1
Curse of the Jade Scorpion - 4.8
Wild Man Blues - 7.3

Oh, and speaking of Spielberg:  I rewatched Amistad last night:  8.1

What's the difference between a 7.4, a 7.3 and a 7.1 movie ?

dufresne

Quote from: SoNowThenBut definitely not Manhattan. I guess because it took me 3 watchings to love it, and I was bigtime into him...

really? that intro alone got me hooked on Allen.

dufresne

Quote from: Booth

hmm...about 0.1, 0.3, and 0.2 respectively?

i dunno...maybe he has a really efficient grading system.

Mesh

Quote from: dufresne
Quote from: Booth

hmm...about 0.1, 0.3, and 0.2 respectively?

i dunno...maybe he has a really efficient grading system.

I like to mess with that 100 point grading scale.  It allows for fine distinction about how I rate films and it's especially useful in a case like Woody Allen's; dude's made like thirty movies.  I wouldn't want to give 19 of 'em 4 Stars.  That'd be dull.

Duck Sauce

Pedro

Annie Hall, because it's probably his funniest.  After that Manhattan as it shows some of his dramatic flair while still full of hilarity.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: dufresne
Quote from: SoNowThenBut definitely not Manhattan. I guess because it took me 3 watchings to love it, and I was bigtime into him...

really? that intro alone got me hooked on Allen.

Hell yeah man.  I got chills the first time I watched it on my brand-spanking new entertainment system.....then after the movie I rushed out and bought the soundtrack! I fucking love Gershwin now...
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

chainsmoking insomniac

Just saw Stardust Memories. Interesting.  I think I'm going to watch it again.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica