Hitchcock

Started by jmj, March 14, 2003, 01:28:28 PM

modage

Quote from: godardianI think Marnie has its charms, too, though it's much maligned.

i can definitely see that, coming off the heels of Psycho and The Birds.  i thought this had some neat ideas, but the film just came off as a little cheeze.  (reminded me of Spellbound).  it also seemed like Tippi Hedron and Sean Connery were standing in for Grace Kelly and Cary Grant had hte film been made a decade eariler.  there were some cool visuals and a few great tension filled scenes (like with the janitor), but the resolution was a little cornball too.  so, again godardian what did you like about it?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Marnie was the first Hitchcock film I saw (when I was quite young, probably ten or eleven or so), and I don't remember too much from it -- except that it scared me quite a bit. The image of the mother standing at the top of the stairs, her face obscured by shadows, gave me nightmares and haunted me for quite a long time.

tpfkabi

it definitely doesn't rank up there with the Hitchcock greats, but it's still beats a lot of other stuff.

i seem to remember that the score sounded a bit too much like Vertigo.......i know Herrmann did them both, but it's kinda close.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

tonite i watched Saboteur, which i liked best of the bunch so far.  an chase across the country is always helped by including a gang of circus freaks.  the ending i recognized from Universal Studios Orlando's Hitchcock atttraction, which was also fun.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

the past few nights i finished up my hitchcock week with Suspicion and The Wrong Man.  suspicion was good, (sort of typical) hitchcock fare, with some similar things going on to Gaslight or Shadow of a Doubt where a seemingly ordinary person is suspected of terrible things.  also, Spellbound.  pretty good though, and Cary Grant was amusing in the role.  the SPOILER double twist ending END SPOILER was pretty great also.   The Wrong Man seemed completely different than any hitchcock movie i've seen before.  as it was based on a 'true story', his entire style seemed different than usual.  none of the witty dialogue, colorful characters, sex, drama etc.   it was more like ordinary people in a story that started out noirish and ended up sort of a courtroom drama.   seemed like it was either him trying to stretch his wings artistically, or him trying for a more 'serious' picture to win him the critics favor (Schindlers List style).  either way, very interesting and completely different movie for Hitch.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02The Wrong Man seemed completely different than any hitchcock movie i've seen before.  as it was based on a 'true story', his entire style seemed different than usual.  none of the witty dialogue, colorful characters, sex, drama etc.   it was more like ordinary people in a story that started out noirish and ended up sort of a courtroom drama.   seemed like it was either him trying to stretch his wings artistically, or him trying for a more 'serious' picture to win him the critics favor (Schindlers List style).  either way, very interesting and completely different movie for Hitch.

Hitch's most underrated film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

yeah i mean, i never hear about it, but i remember reading about in a book on all of his films and it sounded interesting.  i mean, Henry Fonda in a Hitchcock movie?!? that tells you all you need to know right there!  you're in for something completely different.

Bethie

Aww, look at this. A Hitchcock thread. Some of you cried about it, but failed to bring the thread up! Wipe your tears, crybabies.

My fav Hitchcock film is Rebecca. His other films that I have seen include-
Rear Window, North By Northwest, Psycho, The Birds, The Wrong Man, Dial M For Murder, Vertigo, Marnie, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Frenzy, Shadow of a Doubt, Spellbound, Strangers on a Train, Notorious, The Trouble With Harry, Rope, To Catch a Thief.

If you can quit yer bitchin' you can talk about him right here, with me, no less.  :kiss:
who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

Quote from: BethieMy fav Hitchcock film is Rebecca. His other films that I have seen include-
Rear Window, North By Northwest, Psycho, The Birds, The Wrong Man, Dial M For Murder, Vertigo, Marnie, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Frenzy, Shadow of a Doubt, Spellbound, Strangers on a Train, Notorious, The Trouble With Harry, Rope, To Catch a Thief.

My suggestion: Suspicion.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

hey mr., I didn't ask for suggestions. I'll get to it eventually.
who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

Universal has announced the DVD release of Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season One for 10/4 (SRP $39.98 ), the same day as the studio's Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection. The 3-disc set will include all of the season's episodes in the original full frame video with Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio, along with the Alfred Hitchcock Presents: A Look Back featurette.

:multi:  :onfire:  :multi:  :onfire:  :multi:  :onfire:

Skeleton FilmWorks

w/o horse

Quote from: MacGuffinUniversal has announced the DVD release of Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season One for 10/4 (SRP $39.98 ), the same day as the studio's Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection. The 3-disc set will include all of the season's episodes in the original full frame video with Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio, along with the Alfred Hitchcock Presents: A Look Back featurette.

:multi:  :onfire:  :multi:  :onfire:  :multi:  :onfire:

That's as awesome of news as those emoticons imply.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

MacGuffin

Hitchcock: The Movie?!
A biopic of the Master of Suspense.

According to British tabloid The Mirror, there's a new Alfred Hitchcock movie in the works. Actually, a movie about Hitch, the filmmaker dubbed the Master of Suspense.

The report claims U.K. comic Matt Lucas (Little Britain, Shaun of the Dead) has "has signed to appear in the as yet untitled production on Hitchcock's early life in the East End of London. He will be joined by Hollywood star Ewan McGregor when shooting begins later this year."

No word yet on who McGregor will play, who is writing or directing or even what the title of the production is.

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

GET KENAN THOMPSON, HE'S PERFECT.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 03, 2006, 09:45:38 PM
Hitchcock: The Movie?!
A biopic of the Master of Suspense.

According to British tabloid The Mirror, there's a new Alfred Hitchcock movie in the works. Actually, a movie about Hitch, the filmmaker dubbed the Master of Suspense.

The report claims U.K. comic Matt Lucas (Little Britain, Shaun of the Dead) has "has signed to appear in the as yet untitled production on Hitchcock's early life in the East End of London. He will be joined by Hollywood star Ewan McGregor when shooting begins later this year."

No word yet on who McGregor will play, who is writing or directing or even what the title of the production is.

Matt Lucas would be a great choice as long as the audience can keep this image of him out of their heads: