Hitchcock

Started by jmj, March 14, 2003, 01:28:28 PM

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: themodernage02you and everyone else on this board.

Except those members that bought 'em separately when they first came out, and thus got shafted on the cool looking box they came in.

Quote from: themodernage02now, if some of you criterion whores would get out there and pick up a few of his non-criterion superior works, we'd all be alright.

Amen to that!

Yes, I am one of the former. :(

On the latter, I have Shadow of a Doubt (my personal favorite), Rear Window, Vertigo, and North by Northwest. Also, as an anomaly, Marnie. Hope to get Strangers on a Train, Rope, Dial "M" for Murder, and Psycho sometime soon. Not in Criterion-barrage February, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Chest Rockwell

I'm no Criterion-whore! This is my first set, so I'm a little excited about it. Anyhow, yes, you're correct...real soon I'll be looking for Rear Window, Psycho, North by Northwest, the Birds, Vertigo....and maybe others.

Alethia

i got a vhs boxset a few years ago from my grandma, which includes:

sabotage
the man who knew too much
the 39 steps
the lady vanishes
young and innocent
rich and strange
murder
secret agent
number 17
juno and the paycock

its all black with a kind of bleeding rose on it, it's really cool.

Ravi

This weekend I saw The Birds.  I only remember seeing the film previously from the scene where the gull attacks Melanie.  Was anyone else a bit disappointed in the film?  I understand that he's trying to display the story of the jealous mother and everything as well as the bird attacks, but I just did not find that part of the story very interesting.  It didn't seem developed enough to me.  I can't quite place my opinion about the film except for that.  Though there were things to admire, it just isn't one of my favorite Hitch films.

Alethia

i've never been big on the birds

tpfkabi

i was reading a book on Fellini and it said he admired the Birds for it's structure and wanted to make a "normal" film like that sometime.

i was kinda surprised.

Spellbound and Marnie are the only "weak" Hitch films i've seen (granted weak for Hitch is still above the average ho)......and SB's dream sequence is amazing......and the big gun pointing at the camera (i think this is that film?)......i need to see The Trouble With Harry again

any reason why the Criterions went out of print? they're fairly new.........i wonder if they shall have them again?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ravi

I remember not particularly caring for Frenzy.

SoNowThen

I heard about a bunch of new box sets in the works (non-Criterion) for the new year -- can anybody confirm???
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

just watched Lady Vanishes for the first time (as it was the only movie out of the boxset i hadnt seen yet), and i really liked it.  it was a really good mix of comedy/romance/thriller and funny as hell.  especially when they were having the gunfight towards the end and the damn people are just carrying on a conversation the whole time calmly.  thats so ENGLISH!   :lol:

i cant understand how more people on here arent more into hitchcock.  he's one of my favorite older directors.  i'm actually shocked that Vertigo made the top 15 for as little as people talk about him on here.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

Quote from: themodernage02i cant understand how more people on here arent more into hitchcock.  he's one of my favorite older directors.  i'm actually shocked that Vertigo made the top 15 for as little as people talk about him on here.

i am VERY into hitchcock, he's one of my favorites of all time.  and vertigo is IMO the greatest movie ever ever ever ever ever ever....

NEON MERCURY

.....i watched vertigo recently....and i don't see the high praise for....it....

SPOILERS

if i remember correctly.isn't it just....--guy is scared of heights-guy likes girl who has the same hair in that picture she stares at--the have a wierd realtionship--guy finnds out the girl be playa hat'n----girl goes to top of bell tower--girl sees what appears to be a ghost--girls gets  scared and jumps of and dies--the ghost is actually a nunn i think or something--the guy looks downnn at her dead body--THE END

...the film was ssssssslllllllllllllooooooooowwwwwwwwwww.....and bbbbbbbooooooooorrrrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggg.......

i muched liked rear winndow..annd of course psycho....but vertigo....is maybe a cut above...a lifetime murder mystery.....

sorry if this offends its just maybe i donnn't get ..it.....can someone explain ...why this film receives so much acclaim....then  i could wach it agian w/ a diferent anngle...and maybe underrstand it better......

Alethia

it's a million different things rolled into one...hard to put my finger on it...all i will say is the reason i consider it to be the greatest ever is that every time i watch it i feel like i'm seein it for the first time...that is the only movie i have experienced that with

and you shouldn't look to the film's plot to try and pinpoint why it is great or not.......its plot is not the greatness of it....the fact that you feel every inch of pain and fear and confusion as james stewart's character does...the fact that you can feel hitchcock in every single fucking frame of this movie, more so than anything else he did (altho many of his films have come close) is why it is great....oh and plus, bernard herrmanns score is one of the most beautifully haunting scores ever put on film.

tpfkabi

*potential spoilers*

ask Martin Scorsese or Sight & Sound.
but as for me, it is my favorite film.
where do i begin?
the cinematography is amazing.....when "Madeleine" emerges in the green neon light.....then the "rotating kiss" that goes from hotel room - to stable - back to hotel room..........the colors of the flower shop.......many more
the fog filters
the title sequence
arguably one of the greatest film scores of all time by Bernard Herrmann
revealing the secret to the audience 2/3rds into the film
that final shot of a man whose heart has been broken TWICE by the "same" woman......is he going to jump??????

there's a little
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

NEON MERCURY

....ahhhh....well that does shed some light on the film....thannks .E..annd big ideas....i guess its also  some of that hitchcockian subtext that i missed my first time watching it...i will look for those things next time.....appreciated....

modage

Quote from: godardianOn the latter, I have Shadow of a Doubt (my personal favorite).

godardian, i was just starting my Hitchcock week and just watched this first (at your recommendation).  so, now i'm very curious to hear why its your favorite?  there was a strong incest vibe going on between the charlies, which was very weird.  and the one scene at the dinner table that ends in an extreme close-up was pretty memorable (and funny), but other than that the film didnt really grab me.  elements of it reminded me of Gaslight, (maybe because i just recently watched that) and i love hitchcock, but this was not one of my favorites.  i just read it was Hitchcocks favorite movie of his own.  :shock:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.