Hitchcock

Started by jmj, March 14, 2003, 01:28:28 PM

Alexandro

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick
Quote from: AlexandroI've seen a bunch of Hitchcock fims and all of them I liked, I don't think he ever made a really bad movie....just like Woody Allen, for example...

If you're not being sarcastic about Woody Allen, then you're my new best friend!  Of course, if you don't really mean it and you think Woody is a dried up artistic prune with no good movie for years, then there'll be some fightin'!   :P

Nick

no, i'm not being sarcastic...i like all woody allen films

Lucinda Bryte

They were selling a movie by him for 4 bucks at Walgreens. Should I get it? I think it's called "The Man Who Saw Too Much" or something... The only reason I didn't get it was because it was sitting next to a bunch of shitty movies also for 4 bucks.

ShanghaiOrange

The Man Who Knew Too Much
Buy it for 4 dollars, yes.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

MacGuffin

Was it the B&W 1934 (which I'm guessing it is for that cheap a price) or the color 1956 version? Either is worth having for the movie, but don't expect a descent transfer if it is the earlier version. Also, Hitchcock called the 1934 version the work of a talented amateur (and it does have it's flaws) and that was the reason he wanted to remake it. But if it's the Jimmy Stewart remake, then that's one heck of a deal.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

i thought the jimmy stewart remake was not nearly as good.....

Lucinda Bryte

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeThe Man Who Knew Too Much
Buy it for 4 dollars, yes.

Alright I shall.

There was also this horrid looking Bela Lugosi b-movie which I might buy just for the hell of it also.

Alethia

buy ANY horrid looking bela lugosi picture......buy any bela lugosi picture for that matter, theyre all great in their own, sometimes bad, ways

Lucinda Bryte

Quote from: ewardbuy ANY horrid looking bela lugosi picture......buy any bela lugosi picture for that matter, theyre all great in their own, sometimes bad, ways

This forum gives the best advice ever. I will take your word on that. I think it's a picture called "Monsters" or something. Lemme IMDB it. Eh it's not here... Unless I totally puffed up the title. I'll return to Walgreens and buy them both!

modage

perhaps one of these?

bride of the monster (1955) http://imdb.com/title/tt0047898/
night monster (1942) http://imdb.com/title/tt0035124/

if it was a horrid B movie looking thing it must've been the first one.  an Ed Wood creation.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Lucinda Bryte

Quote from: themodernage02perhaps one of these?

bride of the monster (1955) http://imdb.com/title/tt0047898/
night monster (1942) http://imdb.com/title/tt0035124/

if it was a horrid B movie looking thing it must've been the first one.  an Ed Wood creation.
No it wasn't Bride of the Monster although I wish it were!! I would have snatched it up quicky. It WAS Night Monster! I recognize the cover. Thank you.

rustinglass

Quote from: ewardi thought the jimmy stewart remake was not nearly as good.....

I didn't see the first one but the one with jimmy stewart is simply amazing.
I find it very funny when the kid is singing "que sera, sera" and james stewart looks at his wife and says "He will make a fine doctor."
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

tpfkabi

i caught a Vertigo / Frenzy showing on AMC late one night several years ago.......i don't think i caught all of Vertigo, so i ended up renting it later and then falling in love with the film....i think that was the first time i looked at a film for it's artistic value and it's  my favorite film.......but what about Frenzy........this is supposedly Hitchcock's last "great" work. i don't think anyone's mentioned it.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

(kelvin)

Frenzy is Hitchcock's return to his british roots. It is a supremely violent film, although with the typical Hitch humour, very black and very british, I suppose.
I like the movie, though it cannot compete with his American films of the 50s. After Psycho, Hitch just played around with sex and violence and tried to give the audience what it expected from him.
Note that the murders in Frenzy are shown out of the murderer's perspective. Idem in Iron Curtain, for instance (when Paul Newman gases the Stasi agent in the oven...Hitch made the movie only for the sake of this one scene). Unlike the murder in Psycho, which is shown from Janet Leigh's perspective, which is far more conventional and les violent.

I personnally prefer Rear Window, which is his best film, I'd say: the suspense doesn't happen on the screen, but in the imagination.

Has anyone seen Shadow of a Doubt? I think it is one of Hitch's best movies before his golden era. Loved Cotten playing the part of the villain.

MacGuffin

Quote from: chriskelvinAfter Psycho, Hitch just played around with sex and violence and tried to give the audience what it expected from him.

I disagree with that last part. If that were the case "Marnie" would have had more suspense, and not have been the complete psychological/character study that it is. He continued to go against audience's expectations and test them (along with himself). The aforementioned killing in "Torn Curtain" goes on and on and on, where Hitch wanted to show how hard it is to truly kill a person, as opposed to how easy it always looked. "Topaz" isn't really a typical Hitch picture either; it involves more politics than any of his films. It's because of the lack of audience connection, as noted by lack of box office, that he decided to let the studio influence his casting, etc., thus eventually leading him to go back to the UK. Hitch also not having his usual collaborators (his composer, his DP, his actors) let to his going back. This is why I think "Frenzy" is the best of the post-The Birds films. It's the only film that does give what the audience expects - the wrong man plot, the switch of POVs, empathizing with the killer.

Quote from: chriskelvinHas anyone seen Shadow of a Doubt? I think it is one of Hitch's best movies before his golden era. Loved Cotten playing the part of the villain.

Hitch used the handsome killer perfectly in that film by casting Cotten.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

what really shocked me when i saw Frenzy was the nudity.....especially since it was on basic cable and on AMC......i'm thinking this is the only time Hitchcock had nudity in a film? i also remember there being a really long shot that starts from a killing.....goes down a flight of stairs and out into the street.....hmm, another.....

*spoiler*

the scene where he tries to pry the pin from the dead woman's fingers?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.