Hitchcock

Started by jmj, March 14, 2003, 01:28:28 PM

Mr. Sophistication

Dario Argento made a similar type of movie called "Do You Like Hitchcock?" I have never seen it but reading that article reminded me of it. Here is a Synopsis I found for it on TCM.

Brief Synopsis:

University students studying the films of Alfred Hitchcock become caught up in a series of murders inspired by the great director's works. 

MacGuffin

Hitchcock Unwilling to Meet Spielberg

The New York Post's Page Six reports on why, at the end of his life, the great auteur Alfred Hitchcock was too ashamed to meet young up-and-comer Steven Spielberg, who idolized him:

ONE of the biggest disappointments in director Steven Spielberg's life was Alfred Hitchcock's repeated refusal to meet him - but it turns out the Master of Suspense had a bizarre excuse. In his memoir, "Things I've Said, But Proba bly Shouldn't Have," due in May from Wiley, actor Bruce Dern writes that he tried and tried to convince the director of "Psycho" and "The Birds" to say hello to Spielberg, who had just triumphed with "Jaws." "I said, 'You're his idol. He just to sit at your feet for five minutes and chat with you' . . . He said, 'Isn't that the boy who made the fish movie? . . . I could never sit down and talk to him . . . because I look at him and feel like such a whore,' " Dern relates.

Completely puzzled, Dern, who appeared in two Hitchcock flicks, finally pinned the director down: "I said, 'Why do you feel Spielberg makes you a whore?' Hitch said, 'Because I'm the voice of the 'Jaws' ride [at Universal Studios]. They paid me a million dollars. And I took it and I did it. I'm such a whore. I can't sit down and talk to the boy who did the fish movie . . . I couldn't even touch his hand."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 29, 2007, 05:16:16 PM
In his memoir, "Things I've Said, But Proba bly Shouldn't Have," due in May from Wiley, actor Bruce Dern

Clerk: You want to rent buy it, sir?
Homer Pubrick: Why? I just saw the best part!
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

The Psycho Legacy in the works
Source: Moviehole

In addition to a new Alfred Hitchcock biopic – starring Anthony Hopkins – we're also going to be treated to a spiffy new documentary on the master of suspense.

"The Psycho Legacy", conceived by the gang behind the 'Icons of Fright' website (Robg is the producer), is a documentary chronicling the entire "Psycho" film franchise - including the original movie, the sequels, the TV movies, the Robert Bloch novels and the Innovation comic books. It's meant to examine and look at the complete history of a pop culture icon. Norman Bates. And more importantly... Mother.

Interviews include several people involved in all the films, as well as various professionals currently in the horror industry whom were inspired by "Psycho" and it's sequels. The object of the film (Being produced by ICONS OF FRIGHT co-creator Robg.) is to both reflect and remind people that the PSYCHO films have their set place in horror history and are still relevant and loved by genre fans of today.

Its believed that Lee Garlington, Mick Garris, and Tom Holland are just a couple of the "Psycho" folks that have been interviewed.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

I Don't Believe in Beatles

I'm not sure if this has already been posted...  You can listen to Truffaut and Hitchcock's audio tapes here.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

tpfkabi

Vertigo is on AMC as I type.

Apparently it is Hitchcock week on the channel.

They had an ad for Psycho cut to Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer."
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

The Sheriff

one time, i was reading a cartoon in a magazine waiting for my friend (mybe my school paper) and in one panel, a giant guy in a bird suit was chasing someone so the guy running away was saying "ahhh, its like a scene from a hitchcock movie" but the way they seperated the words it read

ahhh, its like a scene from a hitch-
cock movie.
id fuck ayn rand

Pubrick

Quote from: The Sheriff on September 18, 2007, 11:42:40 PM
one time, i was reading a cartoon in a magazine waiting for my friend (mybe my school paper) and in one panel, a giant guy in a bird suit was chasing someone so the guy running away was saying "ahhh, its like a scene from a hitchcock movie" but the way they seperated the words it read

ahhh, its like a scene from a hitch-
cock movie.

if it had to be split that's where you'd have to do it.
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

saw The Trouble With Harry again.
it's hilarious and truly beautifully shot.

saw Family Plot for the first time - Hitch's last.
seemed quite odd to have a Hitch film placed in the 70's and especially odd to not have a Herrmann score - John Williams no less.

also saw Shadow of a Doubt for the first time.
i was expecting more. i definitely loved the shot in the beginning when Cotton is running from the two men - where the two men are shot from above and then the camera pans to up and over to reveal Cotton.

noticed that the 2005 Spec Ed DVD of Lifeboat is on sale at Wal-Mart for $5. i didn't get it because i was not sure if there was another release since it was so cheap.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ravi

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/20148385.html (click for HQs)

Vanity Fair. The Hollywood Issue.
THE FULL HITCHCOCK PORFOLIO FROM THIS MONTH'S VF FEATURING KEIRA, CHARLIZE, MARION, JAMES & A BUNCH OF OTHER PEOPLE. SOME MORE FAMOUS THAN OTHERS...

©brad

ElPandaRoyal

Si

picolas

yep. prettty good.

i never would've recognized zellweger without the caption.

modage

yep the coolest photo spread of all time.  i wish there were more.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Quote from: Ravi on February 12, 2008, 02:57:47 PM
http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/20148385.html (click for HQs)

Vanity Fair. The Hollywood Issue.
THE FULL HITCHCOCK PORFOLIO FROM THIS MONTH'S VF FEATURING KEIRA, CHARLIZE, MARION, JAMES & A BUNCH OF OTHER PEOPLE. SOME MORE FAMOUS THAN OTHERS...

This still from Suspicion would have been cool in the series: