Hitchcock

Started by jmj, March 14, 2003, 01:28:28 PM

jmj

Anyone?  Seriously, I can't believe no one has brought him up.  He's definitely one of my favorite directors of all time.
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

children with angels

No arguments here: I think the guy's a genius... Vertigo, Pscho, Rear Window: they're three of my favourite films of all time.
Then there's North By Northwest.
...And Rebecca.
And Strangers on a Train. Oh: and The Lodger. And The Birds. Notorious...

Like I said: the guy's a genius, what can you say...? I think the reason he hasn't got a place on the site is because of his deadness. Of the other directors, the only one who is no longer with us is Kubrick, and that's been disputed too...

Not whether he's dead. Whether he should be on the site.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

jmj

It's so strange how some people can see so clearly how brilliant a director is and others think he/she sucks.

Great list of Hitch films you mentioned.  Have you seen "The 39 Steps"?  I just watched it a few months ago and I thought it was great.  He was so good at fitting humorous moments into tense situation (as are most great directors I suppose.)  I really want to see some of more of his earlier stuff, especially the silents.
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.

Bud_Clay

Spellbound was very excellent as well. I think I've only seen 3 Hitchcock films ever: Spellbound, North By Northwest, & Psycho (of course).

He's a director I definitely need to catch up on.

MacGuffin

Never heard of him.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

Quote from: jmjIt's so strange how some people can see so clearly how brilliant a director is and others think he/she sucks.

LOL

moonshiner

good point cecil, let's hope jmj was being as sarcastic as you
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

Cecil

Quote from: moonshinergood point cecil, let's hope jmj was being as sarcastic as you

indeed

budgie

Quote from: jmjI really want to see some of more of his earlier stuff, especially the silents.

See The Lodger! Gorgeous and {shudder} great ending.

Rudie Obias

NORTH BY NORTHWEST and SUSPICION are my two favorite alfred hitchcock films.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

jmj

Quote from: budgieSee The Lodger! Gorgeous and {shudder} great ending.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll check it ASAP.

Quote from: moonshiner
good point cecil, let's hope jmj was being as sarcastic as you

Quote from: Cecil B. Demented
indeed

indeed, indeed

TenseAndSober

Definitely...Hitchcock was a fucking genius.

Pwaybloe

Yes... I... must... also... agree... bzzzt

Ernie

Quote from: MacGuffinNever heard of him.

Lol...I was just thinking if I had said this how some people probably would have believed me and gotten pissed.  8)

Anyway, I've only seen Rear Window and The Birds...and even I think he's a genius.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeaman69
Quote from: MacGuffinNever heard of him.

Lol...I was just thinking if I had said this how some people probably would have believed me and gotten pissed.  8)

No, seriously, who is this Hitchcock guy? Robyn?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks