Sony F3 Camera

Started by Ravi, April 23, 2011, 12:01:43 PM

Ravi

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-PMWF3L/

The Sony F3 is basically a Sony EX-1 with a Super-35 sized sensor and a PL-mount, so you can put cinema lenses on it. I was a 2nd AC on a shoot with this camera a few days ago. My first impressions of this camera are rather good. It has a very clean image (less noisy than EX-3, probably due to the larger sensor), good sensitivity (500 ISO at -3 db, according to Abel Cine), and overall is pretty easy to use. I don't care for the viewfinder in the back, and the camera we used was a little finicky about the lens data being transmitted from the Sony lenses that are available to buy with the camera. Like with the EX-1 and EX-3, you have to watch for overexposing highlights, but its not a huge deal. Eventually a S-Log gamma option will be added, which supposedly allows you to preserve more of the dynamic range.

I think the Sony F3 is a very good middle ground between DSLRs (low-end, lots of issues) and the RED or Alexa (overkill and too expensive for most purposes), if you want a shallower depth-of-field than traditional video cameras.

matt35mm

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

OrHowILearnedTo

What have you heard about the FS-100 Ravi?

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Ravi

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on April 23, 2011, 04:30:13 PM
What have you heard about the FS-100 Ravi?

Are you talking about this camera? Haven't touched one, but it records to a lower bitrate (28 Mbps vs. 35 Mbps in HQ mode from F3 or EX-1/EX-3).