-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
This one looks interesting, too:

This book is good so far.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Duck Sauce

Fast Food Nation have an anti-corporate slant to it?

MrBurgerKing

Yeah, I bought that book at the recommendation of everyone. I'm afraid to read it though, its' implications. This is an anti-fast food book? I don't know if I can handle that at this point. The destruction of what I love most.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Duck SauceFast Food Nation have an anti-corporate slant to it?

One could say that.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: MrBurgerKingYeah, I bought that book at the recommendation of everyone. I'm afraid to read it though, its' implications. This is an anti-fast food book? I don't know if I can handle that at this point. The destruction of what I love most.

It's definitely Anti-Fast Food.

It'd be all herecy to you MrBurgerKing, so I suggest you stay away from it before your whole life collapses.

Duck Sauce

I havent ate any fastfood in over 4 years now, not a bite. But this anitcorporate thing... wont do. any other suggestions?

btw, Less Than Zero is ok so far, its getting kind of redundant and bland with the goto the party, do some coke, go out to eat... shit.

godardian

Quote from: Duck SauceI havent ate any fastfood in over 4 years now, not a bite. But this anitcorporate thing... wont do. any other suggestions?

btw, Less Than Zero is ok so far, its getting kind of redundant and bland with the goto the party, do some coke, go out to eat... shit.

One person's "anticorporate" is another's call for some corporate responsibility. If even half the facts in the book are true- and it is QUITE well-researched- then the industry is badly in need of reform and regulation.

You're right that this anticorporate thing won't do, though... if you're talking about the way corporations tend to falsely whine "anticorporate" any time someone expects or even dares HOPE that they'll take responsibility for their actions and the way they treat their consumers and workers.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: EEz28What are we reading?

..posts from members of XIXAX.COM.......

:wink:

chinaski40

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: chinaski40godardian,
(sorry, i don't know how to quote...do i just hit quote button and paste what you last said??)
anyway, what is 'The Story of O' about?  I know I've heard of it.

Quote automatically quotes.

Story of O is a bit of transgressive literary erotica which, in my opinion, is a lot more powerful on a sexual/metaphorical level than Henry Miller's work. It was published under the pseudonym "Pauline Reage" in France in, I believe, the 1950s. Nobody has ever discovered who the real author is.

You might also try Georges Bataille, also superior to Miller.

Appreciate the reccomendations.  Never heard of Georges Bataille.  I was wandering what you thought of H. Miller.  Do you like him and just find these authors superior?  or do you not find Miller enjoyable?  I like him for his realism.  He doesn't hide behind any metaphors or satire or any literary device.  I like him because he's honest and he's a nice companion to Thoreau and others of the sort (I love Miller's essays in the book "stand still like the hummingbird".  Although maybe not as good, but i think he has a great approach to writing.  Sure, he's not creative in the respect of coming up with clever storylines to make a point.  but i think he's clever, really perceptive and honest.  I think he's one of the few writers with truly no fear to write what he writes.  Many can write what he does, but they hide behind characters of their likeness, where Miller admits that you're reading about his life.  I've not read the authors you've mentioned, so maybe they do the same thing, but that's just what i feel about miller...this isn't meant to be a defensive post, just curious as to what your thoughts are...
on a different topic, have you read marvel proust and do you like him?  i've been curious about him for quite a while, but need some good input...

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Duck SauceI havent ate any fastfood in over 4 years now, not a bite. But this anitcorporate thing... wont do. any other suggestions?

One person's "anticorporate" is another's call for some corporate responsibility. If even half the facts in the book are true- and it is QUITE well-researched- then the industry is badly in need of reform and regulation.

You're right that this anticorporate thing won't do, though... if you're talking about the way corporations tend to falsely whine "anticorporate" any time someone expects or even dares HOPE that they'll take responsibility for their actions and the way they treat their consumers and workers.

Why dont you read a book on the other end of the spectrum and at least try to balance your sources?

godardian

Quote from: Duck Sauce

Why dont you read a book on the other end of the spectrum and at least try to balance your sources?

Fast Food Nation is an objective, subtle, extremely well-documented (both by personal contact and statistic) survey of its subject. If you can find me a similarly reasonable book contradicting anything (or everything) in it, I'd be happy to see if my local library has it.

Any person I know who has ever worked minimum wage in fast-food support the claims in the book, though. I really do have the feeling that the only people you'll find who try to claim anything in it is false or unreasonable are the people who stand to gain money or keep the (comfortable for them) status quo by doing so.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

coffeebeetle

Quote from: ®edlumDon Quioxte! Man, thats a beast of a book, I admire your commitment to it. I'm too scared to pick it up from the shelf.

Just finished the great 'Great Gatsby' and about to start:

Enjoy.  Though at times it was slightly tedious, it's just plain fun to imagine Hunter S. Thompson going through some of the shit his alter-ego goes through (as I definitely get the sense this is thinly-veiled autobiography about his early years as a journalist.)
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

godardian

Quote from: chinaski40
Quote from: chinaski40godardian,
(sorry, i don't know how to quote...do i just hit quote button and paste what you last said??)
anyway, what is 'The Story of O' about?  I know I've heard of it.

Quote automatically quotes.

Story of O is a bit of transgressive literary erotica which, in my opinion, is a lot more powerful on a sexual/metaphorical level than Henry Miller's work. It was published under the pseudonym "Pauline Reage" in France in, I believe, the 1950s. Nobody has ever discovered who the real author is.

You might also try Georges Bataille, also superior to Miller.

Appreciate the reccomendations.  Never heard of Georges Bataille.  I was wandering what you thought of H. Miller.  Do you like him and just find these authors superior?  or do you not find Miller enjoyable?  I like him for his realism.  He doesn't hide behind any metaphors or satire or any literary device.  I like him because he's honest and he's a nice companion to Thoreau and others of the sort (I love Miller's essays in the book "stand still like the hummingbird".  Although maybe not as good, but i think he has a great approach to writing.  Sure, he's not creative in the respect of coming up with clever storylines to make a point.  but i think he's clever, really perceptive and honest.  I think he's one of the few writers with truly no fear to write what he writes.  Many can write what he does, but they hide behind characters of their likeness, where Miller admits that you're reading about his life.  I've not read the authors you've mentioned, so maybe they do the same thing, but that's just what i feel about miller...this isn't meant to be a defensive post, just curious as to what your thoughts are...
on a different topic, have you read marvel proust and do you like him?  i've been curious about him for quite a while, but need some good input...

Well, I tend to find "raw" very overvalued; pretending there is somehow not an inherent artifice in any act of creation seems crazy to me. I take the Wildean view of that kind of thing. So... that pretty much tells you all you need to know about my opinion on Miller. I certainly do think he had SOMETHING, but I also think he's overrated and that people don't see his flaws very clearly. There are some real problems with form, but people can't see beyond the content because the content is (was) so culturally important. He did write some very beautiful passages, though.

I have read little Proust, unfortunately. He's high on my list, though.

For fiction right now- I usually try to read one novel and one nonfiction book at a time- I'm reading: