What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Thrindle

Feels odd to admit this... but while reading The Bell Jar, I had to read it sporadically and without intensity.  Hit too close to home I guess.  The mind is so fragile...  and Plath captured that all too well.
Classic.

Slick Shoes

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

xerxes

i read the bell jar in high school when i was really angsty. needless to say, i loved it. i liked to read it again at some point.

Ravi

Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism, by Susan Jacoby

grand theft sparrow

Dirk

At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

classical gas

"Ask the Dust" John Fante

Pedro

Quote from: classical gas"Ask the Dust" John Fante
excellent choice

currently

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

CHOKE

(Does anyone know any authors similar to Palahniuk?  I'm in a Palahniuk frenzy lately, I need more Nihilism (and no I don't mean Nietzsche nihilism))
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Dirk

Quote from: Mr. NamelessNumberHeadManDoes anyone know any authors similar to Palahniuk?  I'm in a Palahniuk frenzy lately, I need more Nihilism (and no I don't mean Nietzsche nihilism

J.G Ballard
William Burroughs
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Mr. NamelessNumberHeadMan(Does anyone know any authors similar to Palahniuk?  I'm in a Palahniuk frenzy lately, I need more Nihilism (and no I don't mean Nietzsche nihilism))

budgie recommended to me Chemical Pink by Katie Arnoldi, which is somewhat in same vein as a Palahniuk book.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

Quote from: Mr. NamelessNumberHeadManCHOKE

fantastic book. how did you like it?
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

coffeebeetle

Paul Auster's New York Trilogy
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

classical gas

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
Quote from: classical gas"Ask the Dust" John Fante
excellent choice

currently

I had a complete love/hate relationship with this book after I read it.