What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Redlum

The Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Find Your Magali

Interesting for those interested in (1) Microsoft, (2) modern hiring culture, (3) some gnarly puzzles, (4) getting hired in the tech industry

It's a fun read. Good job of reporting.

Ghostboy

Just finished Middlesex. Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant.

Moving on to The Bell Jar.

bonanzataz

i got nostalgic and decided to start reading the chronicles of narnia again. i finished the first 2 books within 4 days, but now i'm getting bored. don't know if i'm going to finish dawn treader.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

El Duderino

yesterday, i decided to pick up a Goosebumps book. they used to scare me, now they're fucking hilarious.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

molly

I've just found in my inbox an e-mail from me, from that same email address, containing virus.

rustinglass

was it a good read, at least?

you really should delete suspicious-looking emails
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

El Duderino

i just finished "The Da Vinci Code" it was good, but it's waaayyy overrated.

molly

Quote from: rustinglasswas it a good read, at least?

you really should delete suspicious-looking emails

deleted, i'm not reading that stuff, it's all 26kb and from unfamiliar addresses

Slick Shoes

Training Mules and Donkeys: A Logical Approach to Longears by Meredith Hodges

.. It really is the most comprehensive guide on the market.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: El Duderinoi just finished "The Da Vinci Code" it was good, but it's waaayyy overrated.

Yeah.  I read that one around Thanksgiving.  Interesting read but Foucault's Pendulum, it's not.

I started reading Angels and Demons a couple of weeks ago but I had to put it down; it's the EXACT same book as Da Vinci Code.  Like Dan Brown has a story template that he doesn't deviate from at all.  It's all there: woken up in the middle of the night, taken to some foreign landmark, there's an accomplished woman related to the deceased, an obnoxious police officer, a wild goose chase, and a killer on the loose working for an unknown mastermind. If you were considering reading it, don't waste your time.  The factoids are interesting but the book wears on you very fast, particularly if you read more than pop lit.  I had to put this down to read Peter Biskind's Down and Dirty Pictures.

md

I feel guilty because I don't read as much as I should, but there are so many great movies I need to see.  how do you find time to read?

make time dumbass
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

I recommend GRABBING THE BOOK AND START READING. Seriously, the book won't read by itself.
context, context, context.

El Duderino

Quote from: cronopio inrockuptiblethe book won't read by itself.

book on tape.

Ghostboy

Quote from: mdI feel guilty because I don't read as much as I should, but there are so many great movies I need to see.  how do you find time to read?

make time dumbass

You don't even have to make time; I guarantee you have time in which to read that you pass up every single day. A prime example would be right now: why read this when you could read a book?

Honestly, though, from the ages of 14 to 19 -- starting at about the point I developed any sort of social life -- I had a lot of trouble reading. I've got a really short attention span -- if my parents weren't so holistic, they'd probably have put me on some ADD medication -- and it's only been in the past few years that I've developed the concentration I need to read at the volumes I do now.