What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

phil marlowe

i'm reading

and it's great

SoNowThen

HIGHLY recommended for those thinking of doing post, having done post, or just a fan of his work. I'm blown away by the lucidity of Murch's ideas.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: godardian

I was introduced to her work through Stanley Kubrick's references, and I love it. There's a retrospective going around to museums... I believe NY, LA, Minneapolis and Chicago, maybe San Francisco.

i saw her exhibit in LA, absolutely wonderful. i bought the book.my fovorite is the picture of the old woman on the velvet couch with the bee hive hair. breathtaking.
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

Quote from: Sigur Rós
Virginia Woolf - Mrs. Dalloway

My favorite book.

I'm currently reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, and am still making my way through Moby Dick at a slightly slower pace.

Pedro

note...not the audiobook version

***beady***

Do you know, I am STILL reading Harry Potter 5. Its taking me ages, because I keep getting side tracked and busy... But, I think, that I'm getting there. I got about a sixth of the book left.

Reinhold

picked up a book i read about 20 times in 5th grade. The Giver, by Lois Lowry. it was my first favorite book... partially because it was banned. found it cleaning out my computer room the other day. it was kind of nice to read it again because it had been so long. anyone got any ideas for some good books to re-read?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Reinhold Messneranyone got any ideas for some good books to re-read?

Reinhold

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: Reinhold Messneranyone got any ideas for some good books to re-read?

completely forgot about it... another one of my favorites. you rock.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Reinhold

anybody read Siddhartha? sparknotes are good, but i'd like some interactive perspective.  i really want to read it, but i lost my copy of it. test on tuesday.

classical gas

I just finished reading "Ham on Rye".  A book that I think everyone should read and few have heard of.  I personally think that it puts "Catcher in the Rye" to shame, in that they're both 'rite of passage' or 'coming of age' novels.  Although this one is more honest, and more despairing.
Now I'm going to try and find my copy of "The Picture of Dorian Gray".  This is one of my all time favorite books and should be required reading for all.

Banky

Ghostboy

Quote from: Reinhold Messneranybody read Siddhartha? sparknotes are good, but i'd like some interactive perspective.  i really want to read it, but i lost my copy of it. test on tuesday.

I love Siddhartha -- it's a truly beautiful book. And Steppenwolf, also by Herman Hesse, is very good too.

classical gas

I loved Steppenwolf, but I haven't got around to reading Siddhartha, although i own it.   :oops:

Pubrick

under the paving stones.