There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

ono

It'd have to be Magnolia-size in scale, too.  It reminds me of Gangs of New York in that sense, except, of course, it would be GOOD.  If you think the only reason not to read the novel is that your expectations would be too high, I'd say to read it anyway.  It's a PTA film, of course expectations will be high, period.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: onomatavivaIt'd have to be Magnolia-size in scale, too.  It reminds me of Gangs of New York in that sense, except, of course, it would be GOOD.  If you think the only reason not to read the novel is that your expectations would be too high, I'd say to read it anyway.  It's a PTA film, of course expectations will be high, period.

There are other problems though. The biggest is the loss of freshness when watching the film for the first time. For as much as PTA could turn this novel on its head, its still an adaptation. I would have ideas where the film could be going as it moves along. Worst, I'll probably know. If I do read the novel, I'll do it afterward.

I also happened to read Gangs of New York before watching the film. The film wasn't ruined. Bill The Butcher's story couldn't have been more different. The book is history with little continuaty between each story.

Ordet

Quote from: mogwaii hope this movie rocks the pope's dead arse!

In the end PTA and the Pope share the same aspiration...

Bring us together.

They are poets of humanity.

Any recent pics of PTA?
were spinning

mogwai

Quote from: Roman CibelesAny recent pics of PTA?
i have a picture i took of pta a couple of months ago. i was holidaying in santa monica, ca. i had just seen a movie with my friend and that was "constantine" which was okay. when we exited the movie theatre we heard someone laughing behind us and i recognized the laugh. i turned around and there's paul with a couple of friends. there's already some people talking to him and he's signing autographs. i took one picture of him with my cellphone and here it is:

we asked no questions about if he's working on a new script or anything. (we all know what he's working on now). we just said we liked his movies and he seemed very touched by that.

modage

wow, he looks identical to what he looked like in brooklyn 2 years ago.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mogwai

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ordet

Quotewe just said we liked his movies and he seemed very touched by that.

That was so cute.
Thanks guys

I haven't smoked in two weeks. I see those cigys in the picture and I get a big craving.

No remember "Peter Jennings".

Hey by the way there's this dude at imdb who's been posting for a while that PTA's next film is on OJ's murder case. Orlando Jones is playing OJ and apperently he's beefing up.
were spinning

cecilia

This is great news.  I'm sure he'll tell it as period piece and that's what I'm giddiest about.  I love old California, architecture and history don't run very deep here but I'm so fascinated by what we do have.  I spend a lot of time driving through the old neighborhoods in OC and LA and often feel heartbroken to imagine all that we have lost.   I've always enjoyed watching the California that PTA has shown us onscreen before but I am really going to love this.  

I would love to read the book, never knew about it until now, not just because of the movie, but otherwise it sounds very interesting to me.  I won't read it until after I see the movie.  I decided this rule a long time ago: movie before book if you have a choice.  Even though you might think the book would be fuzzy by the time the movie is released, there will be a lot of speculation and talk to keep you stimulated on the details of the book up until the film opens.  

Oh, I also think DDL is an ideal actor to lead this project.

So what do you guys think...once we hear the project has been financed, 3 more years?

Painful.
I just met a wonderful new man. He's fictional but you can't have everything.

tpfkabi

Quote from: depooter..don't forget that the PDL had a few elements from "Knuckle Sandwich" (as did Magnolia)..

what exactly is Knuckle Sandwich?

i just now found this thread.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: bigideaswhat exactly is Knuckle Sandwich?
http://www.ptanderson.com/featurefilms/love/timeline.htm

Quote from: ptanderson.comabout the "top secret" PTA script entitled "Knuckle Sandwich". They go on to explain details about the script & speculate that it's been written for the proposed Adam Sandler Project. Then at the very end of the article, they dismiss the script after speaking with their "sources" at New Line. Without bashing another site, please remember that Harry Knowles' site primarily consists of rumors. Some that are true, some that are not. Rest assured, that PTA did write a script called Knuckle Sandwich back in 1993 & it's not the focus for the Adam Sandler project.

tpfkabi

thanks.
i knew that "Knuckle" was possibly part of the title, but depooter said that PDL and Magnolia contained parts of it..........which means they either have a copy of this script or PTA just said so in an interview.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Alethia

it says that knuckle sandwich was pta's first published screenplay on gregs site...

Weak2ndAct

Psst.

"There Will Be Blood" is the title of the new movie.

ono

Have I told you lately that I love you?

A good question to consider, though:
Quote from: At IMDb.com, huronphishis whether this will be a period piece (Sinclair's novel was originally published in 1927) and about the Teapot Dome scandal, or if it will be a modern day retelling with a possible link to the controversy surrounding the oil industry stemming from the Iraq War. Although by far P.T.'s best film was his only period piece, my bet is its the latter and that would be preferable.