There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

Pozer

modage

I'm guessing it'll be more like shooting in spring or summer and then released in mid 2007.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I still see Daniel-Day Lewis (or let's just say DDL) as Bill the Butcher in this flick. And if he is? Good. If he isn't? Good. I just dig him.

jigzaw

Quote from: pozer on December 24, 2005, 01:24:44 PM
I'm guessing he shoots it all in one week, edits for a year, walks away from it for another, reshoots for a year and three quarters and re-cuts for another half.  We're looking at a 2010 release I believe... but then again, I'm just speculating which is not pointless whatsoever.

Why?  He does take a long time writing and getting shit together, but his film projects have all been very professionally done and I've never seen evidence of his flaking out once shooting begins.

Pozer

Yo, Johnny Come Lately, I was mimicking all the pointless speculation that came before.

godardian

I just picked up a copy of the book, but I've no idea when I'll find the time to read it. MAYBE before the film is shot/edited/released.  :yabbse-smiley: Has anyone here read it? What's your take?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sal

I've not read the book but I did read the script so I'm not sure if its a loosely based adaptation or a more direct approach to the material..

Ordet

How did you get a hold of the script?

What did you think?

Can we get some?
were spinning

RegularKarate

I'm a little more than halfway through the book and so far I think it would make the outline for an awesome mini-series (if miniseries were ever good), but I doubt the film could be much more than loosely based on it.

Sal

Quote from: Roman Cibeles on February 01, 2006, 08:54:46 PM
What did you think?

I appreciated that it was a father-son story first.  Harrowing things happen between them, and for a good portion of the time the son is actually out of the story (the reason why is very depressing).  This film, if shot by the script, will be much less politically charged than most people might expect.  I think more of the focus, surprisingly enough, is on religion.  Specifically, religious thinking that gets people into trouble, a la CHILDREN OF THE CORN (horror elements withstanding obviously though there are very 'horrific' things in here just the same).  I remember reading someone's beef about the ending because it jumps forward in time but I felt it was earned.  Again, Anderson's films work because the drama and the circumstances are earned through the storytelling.

Pozer

Kinda vague on the thoughts.

Just out of curiosity, were the CAMERA actions inserted into the draft you read? 

How many pages?

And yes, HOW DID YOU GET A HOLD OF THE SCRIPT?  Give a loosely based answer at least, man.

Sal

Yes, camera actions were abundant.  Sometimes scenes were left vague with (see dir. notes) inserted inside, and other times it would read, "this scene is going to be...." so it's not a final draft by any stretch of the imagination.  I dont remember how many pgs, it was quite a lot for a feature film though - about two and a half, maybe three hours long if you want to consider one page equal to a minute of film.  And I got a hold of the script at a production company. 

Pozer

At a production company... just like that.  Used to be so protective of leakage.

polkablues

Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known As on February 03, 2006, 09:50:22 PM
At a production company... just like that.  Used to be so protective of leakage.

But if it was "Snakes on a Plane" it would have been locked in a metal briefcase and handcuffed to an intern with a cyanide capsule in his tooth.
My house, my rules, my coffee

FORT

points for that obscure but apropos reference.
"..I was once a man!" why do talking snakes always say that shit?

ps.
..not posting again till i get a good av.
"..we had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole multi-colored collection of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers, also; a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls.. not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. the only thing that really worried me was the ether. there is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."