There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

Lewton

There Will Be Blood will be shown on TCM on Saturday, February 24th at 12:15AM (ET). There are a few other Daniel Day-Lewis movies that are scheduled throughout January and February, too.

Is this going to be the most recent film ever shown on TCM?

Given PTA's fondness for the channel, it would be great if he served as a guest programmer eventually, or at least appeared for a discussion of one or two films.

jenkins

Lewton

Oh. Interesting. I still think this might be a new tendency. I've been following TCM's schedule somewhat consistently for a few years now, but I wasn't able to recall them playing a film that was made after the 90s. 90s films seem pretty rare, though. I was surprised to find out that they showed Apollo 13 a very short while ago.

jenkins

yeah Into the Wild is an exception for the month. and its name is TCM so

first i sound combative but i end up on your side.

Lewton

By writing "new tendency," I didn't mean to suggest they might turn their back on classic films. I meant occasionally showing films from the post-2000 years, much like they've done for the 90s, and with a little bit more frequency, the 80s. Although, for all I know, this has happened before. Anyway...

jenkins

Lewton

I watched "Metalhead," a Black Mirror episode, for the first time the other day. At times, it seems like they just straight-up sampled Greenwood's "Henry Plainview" track. Listen to the final confrontation near the end of the episode, for example.

jviness02

Believe it or not, this is the SECOND time it's played on TCM. It played on TCM at like 3:00 AM in 2013ish during the 31 Days of Oscar. I remember because I watched it to see if there was any kind of introduction or closing  comments. There weren't.

Lewton

Thanks for sharing. I watched it this time and there were comments. Ben Mankiewicz introduced it and provided closing remarks afterwards. I'm having trouble remembering what he said, though -- partly boilerplate stuff, I think. I believe he talked about how DDL enjoyed PDL and how that led to his collaboration with PTA. I have it recorded, so I can take another look later on and come back with more detail.

wilberfan

wilberfan

Tyler is back with a TWBB essay.   

I really admire this kids stuff.  His multi-part "2001" series was awesome.

Alethia

d

Alethia

'An account of how insane we once were' – Paul Thomas Anderson on There Will Be Blood
The director explains why he won't quibble with his film being named best of the century – but what makes it really great is Daniel Day-Lewis

Do you think it's the best film of the century so far?
Who am I to argue? I'll take it. It's bragging rights for sure and I don't take it lightly. But, of course, I could rattle off a long list of great films from this century ... that isn't hard to do.

Is there a competition in you to care about such things?
I suppose if it was second-best film of the century my first question would have been, "What's No 1?" It's very possible by the end of this year it could slip off the list entirely.

Is it the same film you would make today? Do you rewatch it?
I haven't seen it in a number of years, but last I saw it I was very proud and satisfied. It was the first time I'd seen it where I had forgotten exactly what was going to happen next – and that was a wonderful experience. Having made something, it's very hard to get back to that sense of discovery. Everything really seems to fit together about it – the performances, the music, the landscape and the story, all the strands within the larger film, especially the theme of father and son – all work in unison. It's also very robust, which I like. I know, as I think we all do, that what makes it really great is Daniel Day-Lewis.

Which moment or line makes you laugh most?
Everything Daniel does makes me giggle with pleasure and joy. His inventiveness, his devilishness, the joy he has in making such a maniacal portrait of a man unhinged. He has a great chemistry with Paul Dano.

Do you place more faith in capitalism or religion?
Well ... I'm kind of equal opportunity confused and rooting for the best sides of both.

Do you get sick of the milkshake memes?
Nah. Too much is never enough.

Do you think the film feels like a yet more urgent prophecy today? Of bleeding the Earth dry, of allowing greed to triumph over human relations?
Unfortunately, this story doesn't seem to be going out of style any time soon. It would be nice to see it as science fiction one day. Or an account of how truly insane we all once were.

Donald Trump recently declined to quote any Bible verse he likes. Are there any the film refers to you think may speak to him specifically? Might The Art of the Deal make for an alternative title to There Will Be Blood?
I like all the quotes in the Bible, Old and New Testament, and y'know, it's very private, I'm not gonna get into it ... [WEARY FACE EMOJI] I can't quote the Bible from off the top of my head, I have to go rummage around like everyone else. Or, as Plainview says: "I like all religions. I like them all. I don't belong to one church in particular."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/13/how-insane-we-once-were-paul-thomas-anderson-there-will-be-blood