Film School

Started by finlayr, April 16, 2003, 08:09:50 PM

Robyn

I'm feeling pretty shitty atm because I failed yet again to get into the practical film schools I applied to. This is not first time I've tried and it will probably not be the last, but I'm starting to lose all the confidence I had before. It's frustrating because I honestly thought I had enough talent to at least get into a fucking school. It's pretty much the only thing I haven't questioned about myself up until now and now i'm starting to lose that too... i know it's not the only way to get your foot in the door and that I should keep trying, but it's annoying when you start doubting yourself.

my spontaneous reaction was to become great and show them fuckers what I can do, but how do you keep that spirit up when you fail again and again?

WorldForgot

Quote from: KJ on May 22, 2017, 05:04:17 PM
my spontaneous reaction was to become great and show them fuckers what I can do, but how do you keep that spirit up when you fail again and again?

Hmm, I'd say that you could give yourself perspective by considering some of your favorite films that weren't well received. I think some of our biggest inspirations have failures we can learn from, and even, failures that can put us at ease. Some of my favorite films are critical "failures." Don't see it as a judgement on You as You, it's really only their take on You as Institution's Candidate.

I went to film school, even did an internship at a (moderately) successful production company, yet , post-graduation, I can't seem to get any gigs in the industry. Rather than think of the interviews I'm taken and see them as "failures," I have started considering that this industry is often one of self-starters. As soon as I have a script that I feel is audience-worthy, I'm going to rework it until it's producible at my current budget... Even if it doesn't get into festivals (which has happened to shorts of mine before) there are many ways to get eyeballs now... I think even if only the Xixax community liked it, I'd consider it a personal success.