DVD Authoring - Software Qs

Started by ReelHotGames, March 28, 2003, 01:20:24 PM

ReelHotGames

I knwo it's been talked about, but I am looking for a better DVD authoring program, I use Sonic MyDVD and it just ain't cutting the mustard, I need something more professional looking.

Anyone?

I have a NeoDVD lite tester version, and I am looking for something that gives me the power to create strong interactive menus.

Help :?
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

bonanzataz

Dazzle is supposed to be pretty good.

If you need help with DVD-R stuff, go here...

www.dvdrhelp.com

They list a bunch of helpful programs in the 'Tools' menu.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

aclockworkjj

On  Mac or PC????  DVD Studio Pro for Mac's is a pretty kick ass program.....will cost ya though!

Recce

Quote from: aclockworkjjOn  Mac or PC????  DVD Studio Pro for Mac's is a pretty kick ass program.....will cost ya though!

LOL...LOL. It's called acquisition, dude.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Quote from: Recce
Quote from: aclockworkjjOn  Mac or PC????  DVD Studio Pro for Mac's is a pretty kick ass program.....will cost ya though!

LOL...LOL. It's called acquisition, dude.

LOL...LOL.  We all know about software piracy and where to get it, we don't need you to parade your "knowledge" of this. Dude.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

ReelHotGames

I'm looking for PC if anyone has ideas, I am really stymied here. Been trying things, but nothing is giving me strong control over interactive menus and such

And while I am not a rich man I do like to pay for my software, so price range isn't a real issue - higher end is better, so anyone have ideas?

Xixax

I've been looking at Reel DVD (which I know we've discussed before). The next step up from there is Sonic Scenarist. They've got a low-end software only version out now that goes for $8k retail. Still way out of the price range for most people, but the money isn't so insane that it couldn't be recouped by some future DVD sales of your work, ya know?
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Xixax

Hey, Michael! I bought ReelDVD this week. There was a $300 price drop, and I got it for about $525.

This program is phenomenal. It basically does everything you need except for Region Coding and Copy Protection. It'll even do Dolby Surround if you encode the surround with an external program (like Surcode). If you don't want surround, it also does Dolby Stereo natively.

Man, I love it so far. And the price drop was a huge bonus!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

ReelHotGames

I am so glad to hear you like it, because I just bought a copy from a guy that fell out the bnack of a truck, nudge nudge... And I figured if I like it and it does what I need then I'd buy it proper, so the price drop is a godsend. Glad to hear you like it, any tips so far on quirks etc... I should have mine in hand in a day or two, so I can't wait. I have a project I'm working on for a former inmate of alcatraz who has a video we're putting on DVD and I've been racking my brain, so this makes me happy.

Xixax

Whoa!

Sonic said there was a NAB Sale going on that ended 4/21/03. Usually those sales pass with a permanent price change, but not this time! Reel DVD is back up to $699! 2 weeks ago, I paid $524.99 for my copy.

Lucky me.

Here's the URL they sent me in case they do a sale again:

http://store.sonic.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=74583&SID=39492&SP=10007&PN=21&PID=909960
[/size]

markums2k

I'm sorry, but I must say: Sonic makes horrible DVD software.

The best program, in my opinion, is DVD Maestro from Spruce.  However, it is no longer available.  For one to obtain a copy, they'd have to wonder into the realm of the legally questionable.

I think the best program out there, available to those with a "retail consumer budget" is DVD Workshop by Ulead.  There's a free trial available at their website.  And I believe they just recently added 5.1 AC3 support.  That's awesome for a package under $500 USD.

That last paragraph makes it sound like I work for them...  :roll:

I don't believe it supports multiple audio tracks, however.  That's a bummer if you were hoping to include a commentary track or something.

ReelHotGames

Gotta say I am loving ReelDVD, I just completed my first commercial work with it, and am truly excited. Anyone who wants to check it out can head out to Alcatraz Island to the boostores and pick up the Leon "whitey" Thompson DVD, a former inmate who guides you through the prison. He had a video and I just did a DVD, did some extra features and updated his ending for him, as well as an easter egg (the best part) anyway, I am very happy with the software and now that I've done my free trial run I am going out to make the purchase. (For all you software pirates out there :wink: )

Xixax

My first hardcore experience with ReelDVD came this week. We've got to push out 8 DVD's in 5 days. So far, I like ReelDVD a lot. It's very very powerful.

What sucks is that they told us that some of the program material was going to be 2 hours in length (requiring a dual-layer DVD authoring program, which ReelDVD doesn't do). So, we bought ReelDVD's big brother, Scenarist. Dropped 5 grand on it. Come to find out, all of the programs are less than 90 minutes in length, so they'd have all fit on single layer discs, and we didn't need to purchase Scenarist after all... Now, it's too late to send it back!

Oh well, at least this project paid for the software and then some, and a dozen more are coming down the pike in a few weeks.

Initial plans are to author in ReelDVD and save the files out as a Scenarist file, then master the DVD's in Scenarist to DLT for manufacturing. We'll see how it goes.

$5k for a piece of software, a PCI decoder card and a dongle. Damn. Makes me sick to think about.
[/size]

aclockworkjj

So I bought a new computer this weekend.....bad thing is I bought a DVD burner just over a month ago...the thing is practically brand new...if anyone is interested in one, I would probably be willing to part with it for fairly cheap....I only paid $200 for it myself....PM me if interested...it's a sweet little  drive...I have only burned 1 DVD and maybe 5 cd's since geting it...so it's practically new....

I will post the specs and software on it later when I get home...

Edit: Home

K...my burner is a Pioneer DRV-AO5.....
the one pictured there looks black...but mine is the typical cream color...

All the software is listed there...it's nothing great, typical of a free software package....but it does give you what you need to burn, play, and read anything (I have yet to have a problem with any DVD-R/RW's, so as far as I am aware it's compatible with any format...)  Like I said, I just got a new computer and it has a DVD burner and a CD-Rom, I was thinking about switching the CD drive out and putting a second burner in there, but really, it's just being greedy....if interested, shoot out a number...like I said, it's practitally brand new, I paid $200 for it, so I don't expect anyone to pay that much....but if someone is in need of a burner, I would much rather see it go to someone here than on EBay or something..

Also...I have all the original packaging and warranty for it still too....
-more detailed if anyone needs it:
Write Support:

* DVD-R 4.7GB, DVD-RW 4.7GB
   * CD-R 700MB (type 80), CD-R 650MB (Type 74), CD-RW, High speed CD-RW

Read Support:

* DVD-ROM & DVD-Video (Single & Dual layer)
   * DVD-R, DVD-RW
   * CD-ROM Mode 1, CD-ROM XA Mode 2 (form1, form2)
   * CD-DA CD-EXTRA (CD Plus), Video CD, Photo-CD (single or multi-session)
   * CD-Text, CD-R, CD-RW

Write Speed:

* DVD-R: 4X (Requires 4X DVD-R Media), 2X, 1X
   * DVD-RW: 2X(Requires 2X DVD-R Media), 1X
   * CD-R: 16X, 12X, 8X, 4X
   * CD-RW: 8X, 4X

Read Speed:

* DVD-ROM (Single): Max 12X CAV
   * DVD-ROM (Dual): Max 8X CAV
   * DVD-R, DVD-RW: Max 6X CAV
   * CD-ROM: Max 32X CAV
   * CD-R, CD-RW: Max 32X CAV
   * CD-DA: Max 32X CAV
   * Video-CD: 4X CLV

*When DVD-ROM Single Layer Disc and CD-ROM Mode 1 Disc are used

* Interface: ATAPI (PIO Mode4/Multi Word DMA Mode2), Ultra DMA 33 (Ultra DMA Mode2)
   * Audio Interface: Analog out
   * Data Buffer: 2 Mbytes
   * Mounting Orientation: Horizontal and Vertical
   * Dimensions (W x H x D): 148 X 42.3 X 198mm 5-13/16" x 1-11/16" x 7-13/16"
   * Net Weight: 1.1kg 2.42lbs.

Xixax

A-05's are awesome drives. I have a couple of them. Well made, and compatible with lots of stuff.

If I was in the market for one, I'd buy it.
[/size]