DVD Quality question

Started by GodDamnImDaMan, January 12, 2004, 08:11:52 PM

GodDamnImDaMan

I'm making a DVD that is holding probably about only 51 minutes of video. However, the quality and bitrate is extremely high. Is there a way where I would be able to write the entire 120 minutes of DVD and keep the same excellent quality?

P.S. I used Premiere 6.5, with no codecs. Would "huffy" help?

EDIT: this is probably alittle unclear, let me try to clear things up. I have a 51 minute program. However I'm trying to put two 51 minute programs on one disc. However it doesnt work, maybe it has something to do with the export setting I put when premiere was exporting it. Rather than just leave it to medium DVD settings, i put it high bitrate settings. Anyway, any response would be appreciated.
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

Xixax

Quote from: God Damn Im Da ManI'm making a DVD that is holding probably about only 51 minutes of video. However, the quality and bitrate is extremely high. Is there a way where I would be able to write the entire 120 minutes of DVD and keep the same excellent quality?

P.S. I used Premiere 6.5, with no codecs. Would "huffy" help?

EDIT: this is probably alittle unclear, let me try to clear things up. I have a 51 minute program. However I'm trying to put two 51 minute programs on one disc. However it doesnt work, maybe it has something to do with the export setting I put when premiere was exporting it. Rather than just leave it to medium DVD settings, i put it high bitrate settings. Anyway, any response would be appreciated.

What are you using to do the actual compression of the video? Your DVD program, or Premiere? That is, are you creating a huge AVI and bringing that into a DVD program, or are you using Adobe Mpeg Encoder to create you DVD compressed files?

If you are using the DVD program, then you're on your own there, but if you're using Premiere, you will need to use the medium preset, and if that's still to large, you have to use the low quality preset. Even the low quality preset it pretty decent, though.

Every DVD has what they call a "bit budget". There are several programs to help you compute this. Here's one:

http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Calcs/bbc_10.zip

You have to figure your bit budget based on a few variables. 1: your available space (about 4.3 usable gigs for a DVD-R), 2: Your video's length, 3: your audio type (PCM uncompressed or dolby digital). Based on all of these factors, you can do the math on exactly how much of your 9Mbit (safe) DVD bandwidth can be devoted to your video stream.

Adobe's download site also has some preset updates for the MPEG encoder, and there is a new version of the mpeg encoder that you can download from the Main Concept web site (they make the encoder for Adobe).

You could also make two DVD's if you really must have that cumshot of yours in high quality.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

TheVoiceOfNick

I would just burn two discs if the quality is really important.  Sure, you might be able to squeeze it on one disc, but it would really look like crap... beleive me, i've tried.

metroshane

OK so how do commercial dvd distributors do it?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

TheVoiceOfNick

Commercial distributors use DVDs that have higher densities... like 6gb or more.  Us consumers can only use the cheapy 4gb ones.

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickCommercial distributors use DVDs that have higher densities... like 6gb or more.  Us consumers can only use the cheapy 4gb ones.

we call them Dual Layers.
context, context, context.