Inglourious Basterds [sic]

Started by brockly, May 20, 2003, 06:05:39 AM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: socketlevel on February 17, 2010, 03:43:30 AM
actually GT you bring up a really good point, and that scene is one that i forgot entirely while writing my previous post. i will need to rethink this. off the top of my head maybe he saw what she was doing as an attack on how well he does his job... and by letting her get away she outsmarted him or outplayed him (even if only in his head).  like all the lies she told him in the previous scene about the mountain climbing enraged him, feeling insulted she would try to put that past him. and truthfully, he gains nothing by letting her live considering he's been concocting his own agenda, she's just a liability that would be a loose random factor. but that's a weak assumption I'll give you that, just popped in my head.

I'll add more detail to try to convince you about my point. By killing her, all he stands to do is cast doubt on himself in the allies' eyes. He wants them to believe he intended to help them as soon as he got wind of Operation Kino, but he kills their double agent for no good reason. If Allied forces did a basic investigation of her death they would know that and put blame on him which could compromise the benefits he wants as a new American citizen. No, he compromises his new allegiances by killing her so the reason has to lie on a personality deficiency within him that goes against his full professional character. It has to rest on his prejudices in some manner.

polanski's illegitimate baby

Quote from: pete on February 17, 2010, 03:33:28 AM
the thing about P's one-liners is that you can like, hear the timing just by reading it.  that was a good one.  derek don't argue transformers 2, that point is not worth arguing.  just enjoy the one-liner because it was a good one.

xixax -the only place where one-liners find their home (next banner ad)
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 16, 2010, 09:19:19 PM
not to mention a long-forgotten 1939 B movie that actually kills off Hitler that Tarantino discovered in an old videotape rack at Safeway.

Did I miss it or did they not give the title of this film in the article?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

I recently tagged up with a friend of mine and we both posted companion pieces on Inglourious Basterds. He's a Tarantino fan so he wrote a favorable review while I dissented. The moment was fitting because years back we did this same sort of thing for a small magazine. There was a feeling of wanting to return to the old format. Anyways, I mention this because his piece on Iglorious Basterds is the best argument I have ever heard on why it's not only a great film, but really his "masterpiece". His critical interpretation of how Basterds runs congruent with Tarantino's filmmaking identity makes me appreciate the film a lot more. I still dissent because too much of the film is uninspiring and problematic and I'm not sure Tarantino was even intending for some of these critical ideas, but I'm not sure an artist has to be to make them warranted.

Still, a recommended read: http://catecinem.wordpress.com/2011/03/20/inglourious-basterds/

cronopio 2

Quote from: 03 on September 02, 2009, 03:02:56 PM
i agree with gt
in this movie whenever there were statements they were usually followed by responses.
there were so many interrogative statements i was like wtf
i also was quite unnerved by the fact that there were characters, a progression of time, a soundtrack, and the pretentious quirk of credits.
a waste of time, hopefully he can make a movie one day that will fulfill everyones expectation of a film that has no elements of anything that can be regarded with any opinion.

haha this was a really good post.

cronopio 2

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on September 03, 2009, 01:00:58 AM
So, in essense, I don't think you understood my review much at all.

probably GT's best line

Reel

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Reelist on June 08, 2011, 11:37:24 AM
2 years hence- shutup GT

Haha, glad I can annoy posters when they were in utero with the board. It was a decent conversation back in the day and if you want to help IB's history (it doesn't seem too kind here now), you should definitely restart it.

Still, I suggest people look up a little in this thread and read my friend's piece on Inglourious Basterds. Not only the best defense I know of for the film, but an excellent work of critical imagination.

matt35mm

Reel

is that one of his things? I thought he only did it to me, because I'm horrible at explaining myself. The complete opposite of GT.

matt35mm

No he only did it twice in the past two days, and I guess both were in response to what you said. But I find it funny for some reason.

Stefen

Quote from: Reelist on June 08, 2011, 04:38:06 PMI'm horrible at explaining myself. The complete opposite of GT.

lol.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pastor Parsley

Quote from: Derek on February 17, 2010, 12:42:50 AM
You must be kidding. If this was something along the lines of Jack or Hook, you'd have a point. You didn't like like it. Still, it's no where close to the worst movie of the year, Tarantino still hasn't made a bad one.

You didn't see Transformers?

The pipe scene was the only bit that put it above of Transformers.