Inglourious Basterds [sic]

Started by brockly, May 20, 2003, 06:05:39 AM

Pas

polanski's illegitimate baby

Yeah i think the film is so out of proportion in everything that it cannot be any bit historical and propaganda like. I did jump on the "fucking awesome" bandwagon. Probably, because some time into it, i saw no relation between the characters and the nationalities they supposedly represented. The colors are unlike any WW2 film i've ever seen and immediately put you at ease. If i saw Schindler's list in these colors, i would probably laugh. Along with some diverting dialogue and total nutcase pacing i think this is an animated feature, a comic book. I think there were plenty of obvious signs for not taking this seriously. As far as the intrinsic value of the idea, well, i just don't think it's nearly as important as the amount of sensationalism it induces. Ultimately, you're not laughing at violence in this film but more importantly, the absurdity of it. I don't think there has been one Tarantino film that didn't make me laugh. :) I am quite happy about this one even if it comes at a price of being meathead asshole. :)
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

socketlevel

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on January 14, 2010, 08:52:32 PM
Yes, there are people who do make sarcastic posts, but when I made the original reply, I was sincerely interested in if you had something more to say because I find it fascinating that Inglorious Basterds went from being revered on the board to attacked by a lot of people. I want some of the original applauders (besides Alexandro) to come to the film's defense and make comment, but it looks like a lot of people are just shutting up. I find that interesting.  

first off, polanski's basterd child summed it up nicely IMHO. he captures the perfect tone in a rebuttal. the perfect response to this film is a short one. because  to engage in further debate puts more attention on things that arn't important... and then... they inadvertently become important. I can only speak for myself, but i was one of "original applauders" you mention. to me, the very issue is that people are putting too much fuel into they're analysis, ultimately ending in scholar debates... so it's kinda a paradox disproving theory with more theory. now i know others will say I'm trying to silence this debate but making these comments, and what more can i say then I'm not. i'm shutting up not because i feel i've been bested or persuaded to think otherwise, i just don't think anyone's tried to tell me i'm wrong. so if i've got nothing more to say (or other defenders) then it will naturally look like the haters have stayed their course.

it's a playful film that made me laugh cringe and cheer, and most importantly i never once looked at my watch. there was a day when that's all that was needed to make me love a film. and while I'm not like that all the time anymore, and i enjoy scholarly debates myself, while i was watching inglorious i didn't go there.  god I'm glad i didn't. that's my review. I'm not shutting up, I've just made that point.  was there something else that I (or other defenders) haven't addressed? what if we don't want to passionately defend this but still really enjoyed the film?
the one last hit that spent you...

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

French Chick. She's pretty hot.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

jerome

i don't know, she's really good in all the french films i have seen of hers, but some of her scenes in IB seem off. the one where she and her lover marcel plot the burning down of the theater is particularly bad. which i guess comes from the fact that tarantino doesn't speak french and therefore couldn't direct the actors properly. and also the fact that the rhythm and style of his dialogue was mostly lost in translation. i suppose non-french speakers can't really tell, but trust a frenchy, it's pretty cringeworthy. i wonder if it's the same with the bits in german. but yeah, she is pretty hot.

modage

Christoph Waltz obscures everyone in this movie... I wouldn't put anyone else in his category. You can count this as an official vote.
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

Gold Trumpet

Christoph Waltz's performance is fine, but it certainly isn't worth all this acclaim. The meat of his performance is just the creepiness to his interrogation scenes whenever he encounters somebody new. It's unnerving and scary, but it's repeated almost to a T everytime he does it. I remember feeling creeped out by it the first two lengthy scenes, but afterwards it felt systematic and predictable. A boredom kicked in everytime he came on camera like I had to wait for him to get done with his routine. That boredom made me realize that the performance didn't go beyond its one note.

It reminds me of Andy Garcia in Ocean's Eleven. Andy is excellent in being sinister, but Ocean's Eleven actually does right to his character because he's rarely used in the film. It allows him to compliment the scenes he is in because he actually does elevate the tone and change the dynamic of the scene when he's suppose to. Since Garcia's is also one note, the minimal use is appropriate. Inglorious Basterds plays into Waltz's character so much that it just hankers all the characters and scenes.

Pubrick

Quote from: jerome on January 28, 2010, 04:44:32 PM
it's pretty cringeworthy. i wonder if it's the same with the bits in german.

trust me, it's the same in english.
under the paving stones.

I guess i just really like his character. I just love rational depraved motherfuckers. :)))

Gold Trumpet

Inglourious Basterds has been playing on TV all month where I am. Actually, it has been on every other day here so I've been allowed to catch the film at various parts and enjoy the better moments. I admit it was hard to enjoy those moments in theater because watching the whole film disrupted everything, but it has been nice to watch the finale massacre like 10 times now. That's still just fun.

In the meantime, here is my favorite Tarantino interview on Inglourious Basterds.

Done on the Rachel Maddow show and goes into the political correlations the film has to terrorism today. Tarantino admits his unintentional aspirations in regard to those issues, but goes into length how it does exist and there is a little bit of role reversal with Americans in the film. Tarantino also finds the best film possible when he compares IB to Bonnie and Clyde. I thought that was a spot on choice.

Derek

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on January 28, 2010, 06:33:08 PM
Christoph Waltz's performance is fine, but it certainly isn't worth all this acclaim. The meat of his performance is just the creepiness to his interrogation scenes whenever he encounters somebody new. It's unnerving and scary, but it's repeated almost to a T everytime he does it. I remember feeling creeped out by it the first two lengthy scenes, but afterwards it felt systematic and predictable. A boredom kicked in everytime he came on camera like I had to wait for him to get done with his routine. That boredom made me realize that the performance didn't go beyond its one note.

It reminds me of Andy Garcia in Ocean's Eleven. Andy is excellent in being sinister, but Ocean's Eleven actually does right to his character because he's rarely used in the film. It allows him to compliment the scenes he is in because he actually does elevate the tone and change the dynamic of the scene when he's suppose to. Since Garcia's is also one note, the minimal use is appropriate. Inglorious Basterds plays into Waltz's character so much that it just hankers all the characters and scenes.

They're not the repeated tone at all. At the farm he flatters the guy before he turns the tables. At the retaurant he belittles and cuts down the girl with racist insinuations about her friend at the theater. With Brad Pitt it's a mutual admiration society.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gold Trumpet

I think you're misreading the scenes. The intention is for him to keep the same face. When he's belittling the French girl, he's trying to do it in the most courteous way. When he's talking to the French farmer, it's all about courtesy. He's still driving a stake into both of their hearts emotionally, but in both scenes the point is he's carrying on evil Nazi policies and keeping a happy refrain. The front does drop a little after he starts helping Pitt, but they look at him with disgust when he's double crossed his country and still is overly happy. In some ways, you would think when a person no longer has to keep up an act, they would lose the act, but Waltz's is still at it. The implication is that the nature of his evil is always going to be part of him. I think that's what makes it disturbing in some ways.