Inglourious Basterds [sic]

Started by brockly, May 20, 2003, 06:05:39 AM

Stefen

Quote from: bigideas on August 26, 2009, 10:34:16 AM
what about that quick cut to the man and woman having sex - was this Shoshanna just imagining what they would be like?

Naw, It was just to show that she was Goebell's mistress.

Julie Dreyfus is really fucking pretty. She's like a ghetto Monica Bellucci sans the body.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

QT addresses whether the Basterds thought it was a suicide mission on Charlie Rose about 24 min in.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Did they? Can't watch at work.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Stefen on August 26, 2009, 10:35:43 AM

Julie Dreyfus is really fucking pretty. She's like a ghetto Monica Bellucci sans the body.

I was hoping it was Julia Louis Dreyfus and they just spelled it wrong in the opening credits. I wanted elaine from 'seinfeld' to be in this QT movie.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

RegularKarate

I finally saw this last night.  I wish I had been able to avoid all opinion, but thanks to Twitter (some of you guys included), the world had me convinced this was "AMAZING!!!!".

All in all, I really liked it.  I was making my list of QT favorites this morning, figuring where this fit in and was surprised that it's my 4th favorite.  4th favorite QT film is pretty damned good.

I really wanted someone to lock onto in the story though... if QT were a little less in love with his work and characters (who wouldn't be in love with these characters?), he could have cut some out and made it more focused so that I could really feel for them (I loved to watch them, but had no investment).

I felt disappointed after the movie, but reading the last few pages of this thread, I felt myself way more defensive of the movie's worth than anything else, so I guess it worked.

It's no Jackie Brown, but it certainly was good.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Stefen on August 26, 2009, 10:35:43 AM
Quote from: bigideas on August 26, 2009, 10:34:16 AM
what about that quick cut to the man and woman having sex - was this Shoshanna just imagining what they would be like?

Naw, It was just to show that she was Goebell's mistress.

I was wondering how it read in the script - I avoided readed it before.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: pete on August 26, 2009, 02:30:00 AM
Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on August 25, 2009, 11:14:14 PM
emotional truths

you've gone too far please stop

HAH yeah, but it like the Handjob in Rushmore...it was worth it.

Stefen

Pozer

Quote from: Captain of Industry on August 26, 2009, 09:33:33 PM
I went ahead and saw the movie twice and the Bowie song worked a lot better the second time through.

i liked it a lot the first go around. i had several cocktails beforehand, maybe that did it. he had such an original approach to the genre which is why this kinda stuff worked for me.

the problem with the stylistic choices is that there were TOO MANY.

Quote from: B.C. Long on August 25, 2009, 07:34:51 PM
When you freeze-frame on a soldier and in bright yellow letters POUND his name onto the screen and that's the ONLY time you ever do something like that in a film, it just feels like shit. There's no consistency and I hate that. It's like he's pissing on his own art.

if he kept consistent with that, it would have just kept feeling like Snatch or something. he shoulda just scratched it. he shoulda scratched Sammy Jackson narration. personally, i think the only one kept shoulda been the names with arrows pointing to so and so Nazis. a moment like when Mia Wallace motions a square that outlines in the air works not because the tone of that movie deserves it more than Inglourious Basterds' tone, but because the gimmicky moment is not overused. same goes for the cut to Bonnie comin home to gangsters doin gangsta stuff. if we saw Tony Rocky chucked out the window, that woulda been too much..too much.

Quote from: B.C. Long on August 25, 2009, 07:34:51 PM
It's like he's pissing on his own art.

i think jizzing on it is more appropriate.     

New Feeling

The Stiglitz intro was one of the best gags in the movie and gets a great reaction from audiences.   I don't think this particular movie needed more of those, but I look forward to seeing a few of them if Quentin goes ahead with his Basterds prequel.  I also look forward to Sam Jackson narrating any future Basterds movie.  What I'd like to see less of is poorly acted cameos like Harvey Keitel's and maybe Mike Meyers, but I think since the bad acting in those cameos is kinda the point, it's good acting.  Not sure.  Really hope that this big box-office inspires Quentin to polish some of his old pages into another one like he's threatened. 

Stefen

Quote from: New Feeling on August 26, 2009, 11:46:54 PM
What I'd like to see less of is poorly acted cameos like Harvey Keitel's

haha, what? didn't he just lend his voice to the other side of a telephone for 3 seconds?

New Feeling

yeah, worst line readings ever

picolas

it's true. he couldn't have phoned it in more.

ps. i LOVED this and it has redeemed qt quite a bit in my eyes.. for some reason didn't want to write a big review of it. maybe later.

Kal

well, for the first time in many years (i think the last one was return of the king) i went to see the movie again to a theatre and less than a week after seeing it the first time. a friend wanted to see it so i went, but i thought it was too soon and i would regret it.

well, it was as amazing as the first time, only that i was more open minded when it came to eli roth and i was paying more attention to some of the face expressions during the dialogues in french and german. when you are reading subtitles sometimes you miss other things, so it was great to see their faces 100%.

this is really an unbelievable film. 2 and a half hours fly. it may be my favorite of the year. i didn't think i would like this so much but after a second viewing i am even more impressed and delighted with it.

matt35mm

It was two and a half hours long??