Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

SHAFTR

I don't understand how thread about sex often get locked here...but a thread about who is going to die next isn't.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: SHAFTRI don't understand how thread about sex often get locked here...but a thread about who is going to die next isn't.

It's like selective communism... or selective democracy... like the whole "glass half empty / glass half full" thing... take your pick... :)

edison

LONDON - David Hemmings, the British actor who starred in the 1966 film "Blow Up," has died while filming a movie in Romania. He was 62.

Hemmings died Wednesday after paramedics on the film set of "Samantha's Child" were unable to revive him, his agent, Liz Nelson, said.

"He had just finished his final shots of the day and was going back to his dressing room," she said.

Hemmings was one of the screen icons of the swinging '60s but later went behind the camera to focus on directing and producing TV shows like the "A-Team," and "Airwolf." He returned to acting in Ridley Scott (news)'s 2000 epic "Gladiator" and most recently appeared in "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

Born Nov. 18, 1941 in Guildford, England, Hemmings began his career as a singer, with nightclub appearances in his early 20s, before moving onto the stage and gradually into films.

After his voice changed, Hemmings studied painting at the Epsom School of Art where he staged his first exhibition at 15.

He returned to singing in his early 20s with nightclub appearances before moving onto the stage and gradually into films.

His early British movie roles usually saw him cast as misunderstood youths and belligerent "Teddy Boys," leading to his role in Michelangelo Antonioni (news)'s "Blow Up," which won Cannes' Golden Palm award in 1967.

"I desperately wanted to work for him. This was a job you seek," Hemmings later said of the role.

Hemmings played a fashion photographer, reportedly based on David Bailey (news), who believes he may have unwittingly photographed a dead man. Scenes in which he photographed a model, played by Vanessa Redgrave (news), have often been ranked among the sexiest moments captured on screen.

His boyish good looks were also put to use in the science-fiction romp "Barbarella" and the film version of the stage musical "Camelot."

In 1975, Hemmings played the title role in "By Jeeves," a short-running collaboration between Alan Ayckbourn and Andrew Lloyd Webber.

With 1972's "Running Scared," Hemmings began a new career as a director of several movie and TV productions in England, Australia and Canada.

The two careers ran in parallel for several years with his directing credits including the movie "Just a Gigolo," but by the 1980s his TV directing took precedence with shows such as "Magnum PI," "Airwolf," "The A-Team" and "Quantum Leap."

"People thought I was dead. But I wasn't. I was just directing The A-Team," he once remarked.

Hemmings returned to acting in 2002 with the role of Cassius in the Oscar-winning "Gladiator." Other recent roles include parts in "Gangs of New York," "Spy Game" and "Mean Machine."

Hemmings, who was divorced twice, is survived by his third wife, Lucy Williams, and their two sons; and by a daughter from his first marriage and a son from the second.

MacGuffin

'Free Willy' whale, Keiko, dies

OSLO, Norway (AP) -- Keiko, the killer whale made famous by the "Free Willy" movies, has died in Norwegian coastal waters where he remained after millions of dollars and a decade of work failed to coax him back to the open sea, his caretakers said early Saturday.

The whale, who was 27, died Friday afternoon after the sudden onset of pneumonia in the Taknes fjord. He was old for an orca in captivity, though wild orca live an average of 35 years.

David Phillips, executive director of the San Francisco-based Free Willy-Keiko Foundation, said Keiko had been in good health but started showing signs of lethargy and loss of appetite on Thursday.

"This is a long sad day for us," Phillips said.

One of his handlers, Dale Richards, also said Keiko died quickly. "We checked his respiration rate and it was a little irregular ... he wasn't doing too well," Richards told The Associated Press. "Early in the evening, he passed away."

Keiko -- which means "Lucky One" in Japanese -- was captured in Iceland in 1979 and sold to the marine park industry.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

ugh, that is sad... it would be kind of weird attending his funeral though. i bet that the norweigan bastards are already barbecuing him right at this very moment.

cine

Oscar nominee Hope Lange dies at 70

SANTA MONICA, California (AP) -- Hope Lange, who starred opposite Hollywood's top actors over a decades-long career and earned an Oscar nomination for her supporting role in the 1957 film "Peyton Place" has died, her husband said Sunday. She was 70.

Lange died Friday at Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica after suffering an infection caused by an intestinal inflammation known as ischemic colitis, said her husband, Charles Hollerith.

Lange split her time between homes in Los Angeles' Westwood section and New York City, said Hollerith, a former theatrical producer and vice president of the Actors' Fund of America.

Lange starred in dozens of films and television shows and captured two Emmy awards in 1969 and 1970, both for lead actress in a comedy series for her role in "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir."

Her big-screen credits included "The Best of Everything" in 1959 with Joan Crawford, "The Young Lions" in 1958 with Marlon Brando and "Peyton Place" with Lana Turner. More recently, she was in "Blue Velvet" (1986) and "Clear and Present Danger" (1994).

Actor Don Murray, who was married to Lange for several years in the 1950s, said Lange had both good looks and acting prowess.

"She was considered a great beauty who was also a serious and dedicated actor who didn't pay attention to being glamorous," Murray said.

Murray said her looks even intimidated Marilyn Monroe, who wanted Lange's naturally blonde hair dyed light brown in their 1956 film "Bus Stop."

"Marilyn complained about sharing the screen with another blonde," said Murray, who also starred in the film. "I guess she felt competition because Hope was a young beauty."

Lange is survived by her husband; a son, actor Christopher Murray; a daughter, Patricia Murray; and two grandchildren.

Thecowgoooesmooo

I've got my money on Jack Nicholson in less then 2 years.

Cause of death you ask?

Cancer... But Im thinking more along the lines of lung cancer.

chris

cine

British actor Alan Bates dies[/b]

LONDON, England (AP) -- Alan Bates, who first gained fame on the London stage and went on to star in a string of successful 1960s movies including "Zorba the Greek," has died, his agent said Sunday. He was 69.

Bates died of cancer in a London hospital Saturday night, said his agent Rosalind Chatto.

His first important film role was opposite Laurence Olivier in 1960's "The Entertainer." In 1964 he played Basil in "Zorba the Greek," and two years later acted in "Georgy Girl" with Vanessa Redgrave.

Bates was nominated for a best actor Oscar award for his work in 1969's "The Fixer" and played Rupert Birkin in "Women In Love," based on the D.H. Lawrence novel, the same year.

He won a best actor Tony Award in 2002 for his portrayal on Broadway of an impoverished nobleman in "Fortune's Fool," Ivan Turgenev's dissection of mid-19th century Russian country life.

An Associated Press review praised the actor's "accomplished and affecting portrait."

"Bates is remarkable in carefully negotiating (his character's) foolishness and faith," it said.

Bates, who was born in Derbyshire, central England, studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London and made his stage debut in 1955.

He first gained attention for his role as a resentful young working class man in John Osborne's "Look Back in Anger" and also starred in playwright Harold Pinter's "The Caretaker" on stage and film.

More recently, Bates played the butler Mr. Jennings in Robert Altman's 2001 aristocratic murder mystery "Gosford Park" and also had a role in 2002's "The Sum of All Fears," which starred Ben Affleck.

Bates was made a Commander of the British Empire in 1995 and knighted at the end of 2002.

His son, Tristan, 19, died of an asthma attack in 1990 and his wife, actress Victoria Ford, died in 1992. He is survived by two brothers; his son, Benedick and a granddaughter, Chatto said. Funeral arrangements were not yet final, she added.

cine

'Home Improvement' actor dies

NEW YORK (AP) -- Actor Earl Hindman, best known for playing a neighbor whose face was forever obscured by a fence on the television show "Home Improvement," died of lung cancer Monday in Stamford, Connecticut. He was 61.

As Wilson, the neighbor of Tim Allen's character on the long-running sitcom, Hindman dispensed folksy advice from behind a white picket fence, with only his eyes and forehead visible to audiences. Before appearing on the show, he played Detective Lt. Bob Reid for 16 years on the daytime drama "Ryan's Hope."

He made his name in New York theater, appearing in "Dark of the Moon" off-Broadway in 1970 and in "The Basic Training of Pavlo Hummel" at the Public Theater in 1971. He also acted in two short-lived Broadway plays and in several movies, including "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe" (1991) and "Final" (2001).

He was born in Bisbee, Arizona, and studied acting at the University of Arizona in Tucson.

So long, neighbour :(

Alethia

cine

'Walker, Texas Ranger' actor Willingham dies

PALM SPRINGS, California (AP) -- Noble Willingham, who worked steadily as a supporting actor over the last 30 years and left his role as a saloon owner on the series "Walker, Texas Ranger" to run for Congress, has died. He was 72.

Willingham died Saturday at his Palm Springs home, his manager, Sandy Josephs, said Tuesday. He died of natural causes, according to the Riverside County coroner's office.

He played barkeep C.D. Parker on "Walker, Texas Ranger" from 1993-99. His character was a former Texas Ranger who provided advice on cases to Ranger Cord Walker, played by series star Chuck Norris.

Willingham was the 2000 Republican nominee for a congressional seat in eastern Texas, but lost to Democrat Max Sandlin.

Willingham's "distinctive voice and warmly gruff manner" helped him bring authority figures to life, Josephs said.

He was among the local Texans hired when "The Last Picture Show" (1971) was filmed on location by director Peter Bogdanovich.

His other film credits included "Paper Moon" (1973); "Chinatown" (1974); "Good Morning, Vietnam" (1987); City Slickers" (1991); "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" (1994) and "Up Close and Personal" (1996).

A native of Mineola, Texas, Willingham pursued his dream of acting after earning a master's degree at Baylor University and working as a teacher.

He returned to acting after his failed congressional campaign, filming "Blind Horizon" with star Val Kilmer in 2002. The movie is scheduled to be released this year.

A visitation was planned for Wednesday, with another to be held Thursday.

©brad

awww, i liked that old dude.

Quote from: oakmanc234Maybe Charlton Heston. The thing is, when he does eventually pass, people wont be as compassionate as before because of his controversial 'little' appearance in Bowling For Columbine, which has severly dented his rep.

HAHAHA ,  there's an episode on Family Guy where someone accidentaly shoots Charlton Heston and  he says  agonizing  "Don't worry son, it's your right as an american..."
context, context, context.

Pubrick

Quote from: chuckhimselfo.HAHAHA ,  there's an episode on Family Guy where someone accidentaly shoots Charlton Heston and  he says  agonizing  "Don't worry son, it's your right as an american..."
yeah, it has its moments.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Legendary dancer, actress Ann Miller dead
Starred in 'On the Town,' 'Easter Parade'

LOS ANGELES, CA (AP) -- Ann Miller, the raven-haired, long-legged actress and dancer whose machine-gun taps won her stardom during the golden age of movie musicals, died Thursday of lung cancer. She was 81.

Miller died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, said Esme Chandlee, her longtime friend and former publicist.

A onetime childhood dance prodigy, she reached the peak of her film career at MGM in the late 1940s and early '50s with "On the Town," "Easter Parade" and "Kiss Me Kate."

She remained a dazzling tapper in her 60s and earned millions on Broadway and touring with Mickey Rooney in "Sugar Babies," a razzmatazz tribute to the era of burlesque.

"At MGM, I always played the second feminine lead; I was never the star in films," she once recalled. "I was the brassy, good-hearted showgirl. I never really had my big moment on the screen.

" 'Sugar Babies' gave me the stardom that my soul kind of yearned for."

Miller's legs, pretty face and fast tapping (she claimed the record of 500 taps a minute) earned her jobs in vaudeville and nightclubs when she first came to Hollywood. She adopted the stage name of Anne Miller. Her early film career included working as a child extra in films and as a chorus girl in a minor musical, "The Devil on Horseback."

An appearance at the popular Bal Tabarin in San Francisco won a contract at RKO studio, where her name was shortened to Ann.

Her first film at RKO, "New Faces of 1937," featured her dancing. She next played an acting hopeful in "Stage Door," with Katharine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Lucille Ball and Eve Arden.

Most of her RKO films were low-budget musicals and comedies. A contract at Columbia Pictures started impressively with the role of the would-be ballerina in Frank Capra's Oscar-winning "You Can't Take It with You."

Then she was cast in a series of wartime B musicals with titles like "True to the Army," "Priorities on Parade" and "Hey Rookie."

When Cyd Charisse broke a leg before starting "Easter Parade" at MGM with Fred Astaire, Miller replaced her. That led to an MGM contract and her most enduring work.

She was teamed with Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra in "On the Town," Red Skelton in "Watch the Birdie," and Bob Fosse in "Kiss Me Kate."

Other MGM films included: "Texas Carnival," "Lovely to Look At," "Small Town Girl," "Deep in My Heart," "Hit the Deck" and "The Opposite Sex."

The popularity of musicals declined in the 1950s, and her film career ended in 1956. Miller remained active in television and the theater, dancing and belting songs on Broadway in "Hello, Dolly" and "Mame."

In later years, she astounded audiences in New York, Las Vegas and on the road with her dynamic tapping in "Sugar Babies" when she was in her 60s. In 1990, she commented that "Sugar Babies" had made her financially independent.

Before each performance (1,700 on Broadway), she practiced for an hour.

"Honestly, I have had to live like a high priestess in this show," she remarked in a 1984 interview. "It is a very, very lonely life. When you work the way I work -- that means hard -- there's no time for play."

She was born Johnnie Lucille Collier in Chireno, Texas, the first name dictated by her father, who had wanted a boy. After her parents divorced, she was called Annie, for reasons she never knew.

:yabbse-cry:  :yabbse-cry:
Although not mentioned, and because I doubt anyone besides me knows who she is, she also played Coco in "Mulholland Drive":
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks