what song/songs gets you on a good mood?

Started by mogwai, January 27, 2008, 06:35:52 AM

mogwai

(is there a thread for this?)

currently it is r.e.m.'s "all the way to reno". not lyrically but musically. i heard it today for the first in a while and it made me smile. and also thinking about the music video (directed by michael moore), it shows school kids in america hanging out with the members of r.e.m. just having a good time and singing along.

what's y'all favorites?

polkablues

Jeff Buckley's "Last Goodbye".  It's almost like a Pavlovian reaction I have when I first hear that weird little slide-guitar part at the beginning, and then the bass comes in and it builds and builds and then WHOOSH! the main guitar part kicks in and I melt into a puddle on the floor.  And that's before he even starts singing, which is a whole other story.  I almost yelled at the screen when I was watching "Vanilla Sky" and they cut the song off before the vocals came in.

Also, Del Amitri's "Roll To Me".  Fucking love that song.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Redlum

Finley Quaye - Sunday Shining.

Uplifting brass arrangement and "I'm a hero like Robert De Niro".
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Sigur Rós

Hurdy Gurdy Man by Donovan....good and slightly psychotic mood...

Stefen

Beck's The Golden Age and Guess I'm Doing Fine off of Sea Change.

Jeff Buckley has alot of songs that get me in a good mood. Mama, You've Been On My Mind is one.

There are far more songs/albums that used to be my fave that I can't listen to anymore because they remind me of a certain time in my life and I get depressed or embarassed about.. Ton's of those.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

Refused - New Noise

It's just the perfect song and it always gets the blood flowing and puts a smile on my face.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Gamblour.

I've Got My Mind Set on You - George Harrison
Take on Me - A-ha
What's Going On - Four Nonblondes.
WWPTAD?

The Perineum Falcon

You Make My Dreams Come True - Hall & Oates
Only the Good Die Young - Billy Joel
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

polkablues

The Pogues' "Fairytale of New York".  Just wow.  I had forgotten how much this song equals great.

If you ever want to hear music raped right inside your head, listen to Third Eye Blind's cover of it.  Warning: it will most likely make you kill yourself.
My house, my rules, my coffee

john

Quote from: polkablues on January 30, 2008, 01:10:23 AM
The Pogues' "Fairytale of New York".  Just wow.  I had forgotten how much this song equals great.

If you ever want to hear music raped right inside your head, listen to Third Eye Blind's cover of it.  Warning: it will most likely make you kill yourself.

Jesus fuck! that's one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands... I had no idea Third Eye Blind covered it. I had no idea Third Eye Blind even knew of it's existence. In fact, I'd pretty much forgotten about Third Eye Blind's existence.

It's so inconsequential... but somehow, I wish I'd never even found out that little nugget of information.

But, I digress... songs that get me in a good mood:

Happiness - Elliott Smith
The Whole Shebang - Grant Lee Buffalo
I Want You To Want Me - Cheap Trick
The Group Who Couldn't Say - Grandaddy
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - Neil Young
Cold Cold Ground - Tom Waits
Solpadeine - Robyn Hitchcock
He Likes Me - Violent Femmes
Birth of the True - Aztec Camera
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

SiliasRuby

I listen to this playlist and I have put it on a CD to put in my car and whenever I feel sad, depressed or blue I put it in and I feel brand fucking new.

Bob Dylan-Tonight I'll be Staying Here With You (Live 1975-The Rolling Thunder Revue)
Frank Zappa-Willie The Pimp (Featuring Captain Beefheart)
Wilson Pickett-Land of 1000 Dances
The Rolling Stones-Can't You Hear Me Knocking
The Beatles-Happiness is a Warm Gun
Mike Bloomfield-Really
The Killers-All These Things That I've Done
Led Zeppelin-Black Dog
Eve 6-Leech
Screaming Lord Sutch-Thumping Beat
Jimi Hendrix-Crosstown Traffic
Third Eye Blind-Thanks A Lot
Korn-Freaks on a Leash
Rage Against The Machine-Bulls On Parade
The Doors-Break On Through
The Who-We Won't Get Fooled Again
Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds-Ants Marching (Live)

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

last days of gerry the elephant

If I ever feel better by Phoenix, it never fails.

MacGuffin

The Smiths have always been my comfort food. Probably the Strangeways album the most.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

pete

my best friend did that on a karaoke a few weeks ago, at the very end when the backup vocal track was singing "purple rain, purple rain", my buddy sang "sooooo fucking purple" between the hooks.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton