Ain't Them Bodies Saints

Started by Pozer, July 15, 2012, 01:01:16 PM

Pozer

someone had to start this thread on Ghostboy's new film sooner or later. excited for the dude ...

Rooney Mara, Ben Foster & Casey Affleck To Star In '70s-Set Drama 'Ain't Them Bodies Saints'
Source: Playlist

After a busy week, you'll excuse Rooney Mara's agents if they turn off their cell phones and have a much earned nap. In the last few days the actress has signed on to replace Carey Mulligan in Spike Jonze's upcoming film and taken a lead role in the upcoming adaptation of Colm Toibin's "Brooklyn." And now to close off the week, she's landed another gig that will see her star opposite two of our favorite actors.

Deadline reports that Mara will join Ben Foster and Casey Affleck in "Ain't Them Bodies Saints." Set to be written and directed by David Lowery, the project was part of last summer's Creative Producing Labs and Creative Producing Summit at Sundance, and it boasts a pretty great premise. Set in the 1970s, the film tells the story of an outlaw who escapes from prison and sets out across the Texas countryside to reunite with his wife and the daughter he never met. On his journey the past begins to catch up with him.

Lowery made an impression on the festival circuit last year with his short film "Pioneer" (trailer below), which won the 2011 Grand Jury Award at the 2011 SXSW Film Festival. And clearly, he has cooked up something compelling here to attract such a cast. No word yet on when lensing might take place not only because of Mara's packed schedule, but also due to the fact that financing is still being lined up. But with that cast, financiers shouldn't be too hard to find. Fun fact: Toby Hallbrooks, one of the producers on the film, was once a member of The Polyphonic Spree.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/rooney-mara-ben-foster-casey-affleck-to-star-in-70s-set-drama-aint-them-bodies-saints-20120427

Jeremy Blackman

He's been outed!

Anyway I can't summarize it better than this:

Quote from: Pubrick
rooney fucking mara

casey fucking affleck

david fucking lowery

Fernando

congrats ghostboy, that is an incredible cast for your first try at the big leagues.

wish you the best of luck.

polkablues

I keep trying to piece together story details from the intermittent updates he's posting on Twitter, and so far I've figured out that there are cars and it's set in the '60s.  Spoiler alert!

Also, Xixax better get a special thanks in the credits.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn

So, who will join him? Who will have a try at it and fail? What Xixaxers have the best change of getting big?

Maybe Xixax is the name of the next new wave and Xixax will be remembered as the legendary filmmaker forum. You never know, right?

Jeremy Blackman

Ghostboy and Pete should collaborate.

polkablues

Just Withnail made one of the best short films I've ever seen; I would love to see him tackle a feature.

©brad

Quote from: polkablues on July 18, 2012, 10:42:57 PM
Just Withnail made one of the best short films I've ever seen; I would love to see him tackle a feature.

I second this.

Just Withnail

Thanks guys, I'm flattered :)

And Ghostboy, holy shit! Really cool to see you make it.

I am Schmi

Been following this film for a few weeks, seems interesting. Specifically interested in Rooney Mara's participation. Casey Affleck is fantastic too.

modage

'Ain't Them Bodies Saints' With Rooney Mara, Casey Affleck & Ben Foster Now Shooting, Keith Carradine & Nate Parker Join
Source: The Playlist (but not me)

For a newcomer on the scene, David Lowery has it pretty damn good. "Ain't Them Bodies Saints," his directorial debut developed in the Sundance Labs, was announced earlier this year, but was said to still be seeking financing. But lo and behold, things have worked out smashingly, as its currently in front of cameras and has now added vet Keith Carradine and youngster Nate Parker to the highly promising cast which already includes Rooney Mara, Casey Affleck and Ben Foster.

The film sees Affleck playing a convict who escapes prison and sets off across Texas as he lookes to unite with his wife and a daughter he has never seen. Mara is presumably playing the wife with the duo and their story excitingly described as a "Bonnie & Clyde"-esque tale. No word on what exact roles Foster, Carradine or Parker are playing but, as Affleck's character apparently "sees the past starting to catch up to him," we imagine the quality trio would have something to do with that. Oh, and it's all set in the '70s as well just to make the whole thing a little more intriguing.

Lowery has already impressed with his short film "Pioneer" which was on the festival scene last year and took home a Grand Jury prize at SXSW. The fact Lowery and the project earned entrance into the Sundance Labs is a good sign -- Sean Durkin of "Martha Marcy May Marlene" is one of the most successful graduates of recent time with some of the creative advisors there including Gregg Araki, Andrea Arnold, Scott Z. Burns, Mark Boal, John Cameron Mitchell, Ed Harris, and, of course, Robert Redford. We presume the goal is for the film to hit Park City next January.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

He's got Skinny Pete from Breaking Bad, too.

Reel

I won't be able to relate to Ghostboy in any way but as a God from now on. Please, stay away David. So I can contain my gushing.

( I think I am speaking on behalf of all of xixax for this one )

Jeremy Blackman

We're making him shy now. Or maybe he's just busy.  :ponder:

Ghostboy

Just really busy!

I have zero objectivity at this point. This has been a crazy experience. 1.5 weeks to go.