INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Reel

I bet my weight's worth in pudding that the frame on top of the page ends up in the movie

ono

Drenk

Owen Wilson too thinks Paul was "chaotic". In a good way.

QuoteOk, we'll let it drop, reluctantly. Can you tell us about working on "Inherent Vice"?
Wilson: Oh sure, I got along great with Paul [Thomas Anderson] and Joaquin [Phoenix]. The way that Paul worked I thought was kind of unusual -- it almost seemed kind of chaotic. Very loose and I was surprised at that. I thought it was going to be very regimented. I don't know if that was just for this one or if that's typically how he works.

Did Phoenix mention if it was very different from working on "The Master," perhaps?
Wilson: Hmm, we never talked about it.  But that was even there in the script. I hadn't read the book, have you? [We have] Did you like it? I thought it was very dense. This was more accessible.

Yes, it is dense, though less so than others of his...it does have a pretty gonzo, chaotic vibe.
Wilson: Right, the film has a bit of a gonzo vibe too.

From The Playlist.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

If I remember the interviews, The Master was in fact made in a similar way, right? Kind of a workshop thing going on.

Frederico Fellini

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Reel

I didn't even consider the last one because it looked so much like an Indian film. Sweet 'Where's Waldo?' spotting.

Frederico Fellini

Quote from: Reelist on September 10, 2014, 12:00:34 PM
I didn't even consider the last one because it looked so much like an Indian film. Sweet 'Where's Waldo?' spotting.

I agree, the one with the pizza is weird. Looks more Wes than Paul. Plus the cinematography doesnt seem to match up with the first 2 pics.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Jeremy Blackman

Just look at all those dirty sweaty hippies.

Pozer

The Last Hippie Supper. Owen is JC!

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: PoZer on September 10, 2014, 12:10:28 PM
The Last Hippie Supper. Owen is JC!

He's even forming Da Vinci's visual pyramid in that freeze frame.

Drenk

Quote from: velociraptor on September 10, 2014, 12:33:25 PM
Question for everyone: are we at the point that the lack of a trailer is notable? With its debut less than 25 days away and select city release in 3 months, are there any (hyped, studio) movies that come to mind from the past decade that held off on a trailer/providing footage for so long?

The difference between PTA and Fincher and Tarantino and Nolan and Wes Anderson is, maybe, that big, yes. That's definitely strange.
Ascension.

Lottery

I'm not sure if this relaxed my cravings or intensified them tenfold. Give us the muthafuckin trailer. Any day now.
I had a giggle at Doc being knocked over.

Someone comment on the different approach to the cinematography in these few frames.

Drenk

Ascension.

samsong

there's also bunuel's viridiana

ono