Hi8 Depth of Field...

Started by booji_boy, February 21, 2004, 08:19:21 AM

booji_boy

Is there such a thing? The built in lens on my sony trv-720 handicam has a pretty good manual focus setting, but is there anywhere I would be able to get an external lens that would provide better, and sharper manipulation of DOF? I've seen plenty of wide angle and telephoto lenses, but nothing else.

Thanks,

Rob.
Duty Now For The Future!

Quote from: booji_boyIs there such a thing? The built in lens on my sony trv-720 handicam has a pretty good manual focus setting, but is there anywhere I would be able to get an external lens that would provide better, and sharper manipulation of DOF? I've seen plenty of wide angle and telephoto lenses, but nothing else.

Thanks,

Rob.

Can you adjust the fstop? Thats going to be your only option.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

looks like its fixed at 1.6..   You just have to adjust the manual focus setting.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

metroshane

Not only that, but the size of the ccd plays an important role.  It's just too small to give you the same control film will.  BTW, I'm not a film nazi...just stating facts.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Redlum

Yep. XL1's cant even do it that well. I'd try not to concern yourself with it, you'll only be disappointed.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

booji_boy

How much of DOF is a result of the camera itself? I use a Pentax K1000 35mm SLR for stills, and the DOF is beautiful. If I put a lens like that on a video camera, wouldn't that improve it greatly? Are there any lenses for video cameras that provide a better DOF?
Duty Now For The Future!

metroshane

Depth of field is controled by fstop.  the lower the fstop(the number, which is really a bigger aperature) the shallower the depth of field.  However, the chip on a video camera severly limits the usefulness of the lens.  So if you have the same 1.8 prime lens on a film camera and a video camera...you are still going to have less dof with the video.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Ghostboy

Plus, finding an adaptor for a hi8 camera might be kind of tough, if not impossible...I know I've never seen one. Best bet is to upgrade to something like an XL-1, which has adaptors that can handle different types of lenses. That way, at least you've got the glass (and the XL-1 chips are obviously going to handle a lot more information than a hi8's).

warmstepvision

Well not only the aperture that DOF depends on, it is also the magnification, focal length, and the circle of confusion. In film the dof is a lot more variable than in dv. Must be the differences with the focal planes and the way ccds capture light. Also technically there is a difference of depth of field and depth of focus, basically the dof is on the subjective side of the lens and depth of focus is near the image plane. But getting back to the original question there is a way to achieve that shallow dof everyone is fetching for. Mini 35mm adapters of course, www.dvinfo.net has a forum dedicated to just that. They use the relay system with the ground glass serving as a principle plane of focus. They have taken it far and people are coming up with some impressive systems. For all dv cinematography check out www.dvinfo.net.