Stand By Me? Suck on this

Started by Ernie, June 11, 2003, 09:03:24 PM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

when kids came out , people were going on and on about how un realistic it is and how it exploits this and that, but the fucked up thing is how real it is

i was a kid when it came out, and well it was pretty fucking close

MacGuffin

Quote from: redlumThey dont 'come of age' at all really, they just share one last adventure.

But they do come of age, or at least Gordie and Chris do. The boys original intent (the MacGuffin, if you will) was to go 'accidentially' find the body and be rewarded with fame. But they learn about themselves and each other on that journey. It's a road movie of sorts. Gordie was living in his dead brother's shadow (the parents even say in Gordie's dream "that should have been you"), but then comes into his own and stands up to his nemesis.

The movie is bookended by grown up Gordie's reflections showing that friends come and friends go, but none are as close to you as when you are at that age.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Quote from: ThecowgoooesmoooEbeaman, you talk about making the perfect teen movie. You also talk about how some of the teen movies nowadays and in the past are not real enough.

But heres the thing, how do you know that? What experiences are you realling drawing from? Your own personal high school experiences?

Take a movie like Kids or Boyz in the Hood. Do you think they portray teen life correctly? They most certainly do.

Your problem is, your trying to interpret something that is always different. And when its a wide spectrum that is impossible to cover or even know of, unless you have studied every high school in America. The way teens acted, dressed, talked, and what they did on the weekends, was probly much different from yours. And if you travel about 30 mins from my school into the hoods of Atlanta, it will be much different from my school. You see, its all so different. Whats to say those movies that draw from those experiences are not realistic or real enough?

You can't say, they were wrong. Your trying to make an HONEST movie. A movie that is the ultimate teen movie. I don't think 1 exists, because obviously teens are all different...

chris

I never have talked about making the perfect teen movie, that must have been somebody else.

To get specific though...I want to make a movie that is honest about suburban-rural modern teens on the east coast to get more specific. I have never seen a realistic movie about teens of that sort. I never have. I've seen one about california teens (fast times), a bunch about southern teens (all the real girls, gw, the last picture show, dazed and confused). Those seems to be realistic to the kind of teens they potray and that is GREAT! I love that! But I also want there to be a movie that potrays kids like the kids at my school in a truthful way. It is not like American Pie here dude, trust me! That attempted to do what I want to do...potray east coast teens. Personally, at my school...there are no Stifler's or Jim's or Finch's...there are people that are more realistic versions of them, sure...those are the people I wanna potray. Movies like American Pie are the reason people think ALL teens suck. I want to potray the teens that are smart and really good people AS WELL as the assholes and the outcasts. Seriously, there are some really interesting kids at my school, all different kinds. And they are nothing like ANYTHING in american Pie or Road Trip or 40 Days and 40 Nights.

SoNowThen

Amen.

Although, Road Trip was about college guys. And was fucking hilarious. And never claimed to be a realistic movie for one second -- it was all just an overblown story told by the Tom Green character. I like Road Trip.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanI've seen one about california teens (fast times)...Those seems to be realistic to the kind of teens they potray and that is GREAT! I love that!

I was a 'California teen', but my teen years were nothing like "Fast Times..." So if you want to stop the stereotype of East Coast teens being like "American Pie", I have to stop the one about "Fast Times..."

If you want an idea of what my teen life was like, it's closer to "Lucas".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Lucas!  :-D winonas first movie role.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I think Fast Times is a pretty bad movie, memorable primarily for the swimming pool scene.

Xixax

My life most closely resembled The Hollywood Knights. That is, if it were Drama club instead of a car club, and the music was 80's music instead of 60's. Oh, and leave out that part about the Vietnam war and stuff.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: XixaxMy life most closely resembled The Hollywood Knights. That is, if it were Drama club instead of a car club, and the music was 80's music instead of 60's. Oh, and leave out that part about the Vietnam war and stuff.

wow did you know anyone like newbomb turk ?

i am actully a fan of robert wuhl, but most people think i am insane ohh well

ono

I've only got two things to say:

1) Don't lead with your chin.
2) Look the definition of "teen movie" up.  Stand by Me is not it.

I liked Stand by Me a lot.  Maybe I am overrating it a bit; the kids were foul-mouthed and a bit unlikable, but that's what most snot-nosed brats are like at that age, so I gave Reiner props for that even though it may have detracted from the movie a bit.

And not to steal from MacGuffin or anything, but if I rent George Washington and it sucks, you're paying me back.  All the Real Girls was good, but not the holy grail you make it out to be.

Ernie

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI've only got two things to say:

1) Don't lead with your chin.
2) Look the definition of "teen movie" up.  Stand by Me is not it.

I liked Stand by Me a lot.  Maybe I am overrating it a bit; the kids were foul-mouthed and a bit unlikable, but that's what most snot-nosed brats are like at that age, so I gave Reiner props for that even though it may have detracted from the movie a bit.

And not to steal from MacGuffin or anything, but if I rent George Washington and it sucks, you're paying me back.  All the Real Girls was good, but not the holy grail you make it out to be.

Whatever then man, that's cool. What, your trying to get a rise out of me? You think I'm really going to feel bad if you don't like it? I realize your mostly kidding but I think your probably a little serious too. I mean, you would be spending money on my recommendation alone probably, right? Cause I'm the one that talks about it the most? So, you'd have every right to be a little pissed off at me if you don't end up liking it. So, let me just warn you, you might not like it. I mean, think about it man, you probably won't like it that much if you don't agree with me about ATRG, duh...that makes sense to me. So, why risk it? You know what I mean? You should probably get to know my taste a little better before you take my recommendations so seriously, that's all I'm saying.

And don't do that 1) and 2) shit with me again by the way, seriously. That's not cool. I'm not threatening you like a little pussy fighting on the internet. I'm just saying, I don't like that at all. I just hate that sarcastic, condescending stuff. Your not above me.

I wasn't even talking about teen movies alone, I was talking about teen movies AND adolescent movies...which Stand By Me is.

Xixax

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones
Quote from: XixaxMy life most closely resembled The Hollywood Knights. That is, if it were Drama club instead of a car club, and the music was 80's music instead of 60's. Oh, and leave out that part about the Vietnam war and stuff.

wow did you know anyone like newbomb turk ?
Oh, hell yes!

I'll not spend time reminiscing, but there was plenty of mooning, flaming dog shit, toilet paper and plastic forks in my high school days.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

MrBurgerKing

I generally don't like biographical movies on historical figures. I guess George Washington is about his childhood, right? How can there be an honest teenage movie based on a 200 year old figure? Times have changed, bud. People used to eat Big Macs in their cars.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesi was a kid when it came out, and well it was pretty fucking close

So you are saying, you raped that poor gurl?  :shock:

Pubrick

Quote from: ebeamanI just hate that sarcastic, condescending stuff. Your not above me.
under the paving stones.