Peter Pan?

Started by ProgWRX, December 09, 2003, 03:08:41 PM

cine

She reminded me of Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyIt makes me very sad to think about what a bomb it will likely be. Perhaps the eminent box office report will prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Opening in a disappointing seventh place was Universal's Peter Pan. The $100 million special effects film made just $11.4 million for the three days from 2,813 locations and averaged $4,059. The Jeremy Sumpter, Jason Isaacs and Rachel Hurd-Wood-starrer has earned $15.1 million since Thursday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

i saw this movie today with my mom and sister (i felt like an 8 year old, but we had fun). i really didn't think it was anything special. in fact, i was kind of bored by the whole thing. yes, the costumes, sets, and special effects were very good. but, everything else about it was just... eh. everything in neverland just fell flat. it started out promising, and after they went through space it lost me. i just didn't feel ANYTHING. what should have been the most magical scene in the movie felt so empty for some reason (probably that awful score). the "i believe in fairies" crap was too over the top for me to care, especially since i hated tink. the movie was about 45 minutes too long. after the initial fight between hook and pan, i was ready to leave, but the movie kept going. i thought everybody was terribly miscast (save for the lost boys and John, who is a pretty easy, harry-potter-looking character to cast).

Quote from: ewarddid anyone else think the teeth of the girl who played wendy were fuckin huge?

yes, and that's the first thing my mom and sister said as we left the theater.

after it was all done with, my sister and i went and watched hook, a movie that, despite its flaws (and the apparent hatred it gets from this board), has become a favorite of ours. spielberg is just very good (to me, anyway) at bringing out that sappy and sentimental side that's hiding in there somewhere. while this movie went for that, it couldn't achieve it. i ended up feeling none of the magic that you guys are talking about. it was all just a very ho hum experience.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

cine

It's a real shame the film is doing such shitty box office. The performances were wonderful. Isaacs was great at playing both Darling and Hook. What stood out for me the most was the beautiful, glowing chemistry between Rachel Hurd-Wood and Jeremy Sumpter. I'm confident Ghostboy would attest to that..

Gold Trumpet

Went into this expecting something good with all the nice hype here and got even more than I expected. Excellent movie. Such a nice film to smile at and involve yourself in its world. The effects, though sometimes too hoakey to be effective, really lended itself well in consistently being applied to just about every scene in the film where I felt it was a natural character to the story. The story also was nicely paced where you could appreciate the smaller things and then appreciate the times when the story would get tricky and creative. Its just nice to see the film rest on a good basis. Also, it reminded me of the wonderful Babe movies and the similiar effect they had on me.

modage

GT i was actually curious about your opinion on this one.  although i know you dont like the LOTR movies, for some reason i had a feeling you would like this one.  the more i think about this movie, the more i love it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetAlso, it reminded me of the wonderful Babe movies and the similiar effect they had on me.

I thought about this too, especially Babe: Pig In The City. Let's see...both are excellent family films with lavish and beautifully surreal visuals and solid emotional cores, both are directed by Australians, both cost well over 100 million of Universal's money, and both bombed.

picolas

this movie failed. terrible casting and an oft' ridiculous script. hook was pretty much the only guy who believed what he was saying..

cine

Quote from: picolasthis movie failed. terrible casting and an oft' ridiculous script. hook was pretty much the only guy who believed what he was saying..
:shock:

Thecowgoooesmooo

I cringed at the "I believe in Fairy's" sequence.

I was bored like Taz said, right after they hit space.... If I was around 10 I would have loved this film. But not now....

chris

bonanzataz

i didn't even like hook in this movie (though i'm sure he will kick ass as wesker in re2). give me dustin hoffman any day. he was hilarious.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

GodDamnImDaMan

Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

Finn

I really loved this movie. Rachel Hurd-Wood as Wendy is just wonderful! She's adorable, charming and winning.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

i ended up seeing this for a second time today.  i really love this movie.  it didnt have the emotional punch it carried the first time, but i still really enjoyed it.  its pretty upsetting to see how hard this movie is flopping.  i think its because Cheaper By The Dozen came out the same day and that is the goddamn 'big mac' movie that kids want to go see.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

holy crap, miss cross (olivia williams) was gorgeous.  I'm in love all over again.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton