JACKIE BROWN

Started by Rudie Obias, January 10, 2003, 06:45:47 PM

SoNowThen

Quote from: ewardone of my favorite little moments from the movie...when they're discussing the girl ordell is gonna get for the exchange:

"and don't get some rock-hoe - "

"hey HEY, she ain't gonna BE no rock-hoe."

Hehehe, yeah, that was great.

I also like the whole "country as a chicken coop" speech...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

Quote from: ElPandaRoyalI rank this as Tarantino's best film (have not seen Mata a el Bill - Volume 2 yet). Its pace, humour, music, characters, performances... everything's in the right place here. This is almost just talk talk talk, and I can't grow tired of listening to them. Jackie B. is one of my all-time faves.

it's my personal favorite, but i still think PF is his best, on the basis that no one but tarantino could have given us a film like that.  jackie brown could have been a good film in other hands, i think (altho tarantino knocked it out of the fuckin park) and kill bill (now as one complete film I judge it) is too new, let's see how it holds up (tho i'm expecting it to get better with age as his other films)

modage

Quote from: OnomatopitaDialogue - great.  Style - cool.  It really is such a funny movie, too.  Like when Melanie is telling Louis about when she was in Japan and then out of the blue says "Wanna fuck?"  There's a couple of lines like that, where in the delivery they become laugh-out-loud funny.
he stole that line/set-up from the Hal Ashby film Shampoo with Warren Beatty and Julie Christie.  also: i think personally, although i like this film alot and saw it on christmas (opening) day in the theatres in 1997, its the only film where the dialogue seemed a little TOO qt.  like, took me out of the movie because it seemed like how characters in one of his movies should talk instead of how people might actually talk.  its a good film, but cant touch the fiction.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: eward
Quote from: ElPandaRoyaland kill bill (now as one complete film I judge it) is too new, let's see how it holds up (tho i'm expecting it to get better with age as his other films)

I haven't seen Volume 2 yet, but if it's as good as 1 was, I think it has a great chance to top Jackie Brown. (I also think when I see it, I'll look at it as one movie as well...)
Si

modage

unfortunately its not.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

now now dont discourage him....there are those of us that are of the opinion that volume 2 was more satisfying, i happen to be one of them....though i do agree that it doesnt play as one film like vol 1 did but then again, it really couldn't

edit - did i contradict myself here?  ahh well, whatever my point was

RegularKarate

QT's best film and QT's best cameo

Okay, so it's not really a "Cameo"

brockly

Quote from: ElPandaRoyalI haven't seen Volume 2 yet, but if it's as good as 1 was, I think it has a great chance to top Jackie Brown. (I also think when I see it, I'll look at it as one movie as well...)

Quote from: themodernage02unfortunately its not.

thats right, its better  8)

bonanzataz

Quote from: RegularKarateQT's best film and QT's best cameo

Okay, so it's not really a "Cameo"

i know you just posted that post so those of us who weren't "in the know" would ask you "what cameo? qt wasn't in that movie! i never saw him in jackie brown!"

having said that, what cameo?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzatazhaving said that, what cameo?

"You have one new message...*beep*" (or whatever the phone machine says).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Brock Landers
Quote from: ElPandaRoyalI haven't seen Volume 2 yet, but if it's as good as 1 was, I think it has a great chance to top Jackie Brown. (I also think when I see it, I'll look at it as one movie as well...)

Quote from: themodernage02unfortunately its not.

thats right, its better  8)

I sure hope it is..... tomorrow is the day when I'll see it and later today I'll get my Vol.1 DVD finally.
Si

JG

can i just throw it out there that jackie brown is really good, and maybe QT's best movie? 

EDIT - this isn't a random thread bump, this was moved from the grind house thread. 

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: JG on April 08, 2007, 05:39:27 PM
can i just throw it out there that jackie brown is really good, and maybe QT's best movie? 

Some people argue this, but I always look for a good reason why. Pulp Fiction is a hard film to pin down to an explanation. Jackie Brown is too. The easy explanation is that it has a plot, but I'd love to hear some ideas.

JG

i would love to talk about jackie brown, but i don't want to talk about it without rewatching it.   just give me a couple months to come up with a satisfying post that i won't later regret.  but it'll probably start out being about jackie brown and then i'll end up talking about antonioni or bresson or something.   

The Red Vine

This is probably my second favorite Quentin movie. It's not perfect and it drags a bit but it's his most mature movie yet. His later work is much weaker in comparison.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">