Brett Ratner's PTA syndrome.

Started by Jon, April 02, 2003, 08:54:55 AM

RegularKarate

Post sex change, Miss Jones appears to have reached self-actualization and is now approaching Transcendence.

bonanzataz

Quote from: cecil b. demented
yeah, but then you need to be a studio puppet. if you care about your work or have something to say in your films, you wont like being a ratner jr.

sure you can make it, but at what price?

I was having this conversation with a friend of mine. He was saying to me that Lou Reed worked his way up as a puppet in a recording studio, writing surfing songs for at least 5 years. After a while, he gained recognition and money, and he was able to record the things he wanted to do and became a rock legend. He had the ability to make shit that sold to the masses and did it so he could get some money and do his thing. Call me a sellout, call me an asshole, but if it meant being able to make the movies I REALLY wanted to make, I would make 6 Rush Hour movies and I would make them as good as I possibly could. Now, I hate Brett Ratner as much as the next guy, but who knows if this guy has something great in him? He obviously loves to make movies, even if they are stupid. The only problem I have with Ratner is his ego. He skipped the part of actually making the really good movie and has tried to skip right to fame, even though nobody gives a shit. He touts this Director's Edition of a mediocre movie like it's the greatest thing in the world. It's not the worst crime one can commit. He wants to be famous. Who doesn't? He's still competent enough to make a movie that people understand and appeals to the masses.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Cecil

after graduating from university, lou reed moved to new york and got a job as a staff writer for Pickwick Records. he wanted to write top tens but his stuff never got anywhere near there. he quickly got pissed with his job's creative limitations so he and john cale quit to form their own band. velvet had no money and werent making any either. they couldnt afford groceries, they just ate at parties (as said by warhol, who didnt pay them for playing at the factory). warhol is the one who paid for their first record and became their manager. they still didnt make alot of money back then.

lou reed didnt use the recording studio to gain recognition and money (he didnt get any and made none). he just had a love for music and so got a job writing songs. he got annoyed because he couldnt do his own thing and left.

Markyboy

Bratner must have some clue:

"How do you feel about having separate widescreen and fullscreen versions?"

RAT: "I'm not really into the fullscreen version. I'm not a fan because I shoot the movies anamorphic."

"Would you rather have fullframe available separately or included on the same disc?"

RAT: I'd rather not have it at all.

This thread has made me read a Ratner interview   :?
A shiny, gold, tall, inexpensive prick.

Cecil

also, lou joined Pickwick in 64 and left in 65. according to warhol, pickwick found most of his music too weird and would delay releasing it. you can listen to some of them here http://www.loureed.org/prevu/

"do the ostrich" is my personal fav

bonanzataz

well, cecil, I love lou, but i don't have much knowledge on the subject. that's just what i heard and i guess i was terribly misinformed. i still stick to my points, and now, based on your information, i can make another statement. if lou reed hardly had any money but kept making music just for the sake of making music, that's also a good thing. he stuck to what he loved. even if i'm making no money at all from my film endeavors, i'm still going to try. film is what i love, and even if i try my hardest and churn out nothing but shit films for the rest of my life, at least i'll be making them.

anyway, back to ratner...

edit: and by the way, cecil, thanks for that link. me like.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

I agree with everyone who has suggested that we shouldn't be hatin' on Ratner. I don't always like his attitude, and his movies aren't exactly my favorites, but complaining about them won't get anyone anywhere. Anyway, he sounds like a film buff, which means he'd probably fit in quite well with this crowd.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzatazCall me a sellout, call me an asshole, but if it meant being able to make the movies I REALLY wanted to make, I would make 6 Rush Hour movies and I would make them as good as I possibly could. Now, I hate Brett Ratner as much as the next guy, but who knows if this guy has something great in him? He obviously loves to make movies, even if they are stupid. The only problem I have with Ratner is his ego. He skipped the part of actually making the really good movie and has tried to skip right to fame, even though nobody gives a shit. He touts this Director's Edition of a mediocre movie like it's the greatest thing in the world. It's not the worst crime one can commit.

I don't want my comment to be misconstrued as "I should be where he is and not him." It's just that that student film is really bad. I've seen hundreds of bad -- really bad -- student films and those directors haven't amounted to anything. Granted, he's not making the kinds of movies I would like to make, but I have to give the guy some credit for being where he is and doing what he loves doing. There are far worse movies and far worse directors. My avatar theme reinforces these ideas. But I'm along the same lines as taz. Ratner just comes off as a fanboy who steals rather than pays homage. But, alluding to my comments in the 'arrogance' thread, I'm kicking myself because he is doing what he's doing, and I'm here at home talking about it.

Quote from: bonanzatazHe wants to be famous. Who doesn't?

Actually, I'd be happy with a career like John Sayles.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Quote from: MacGuffinActually, I'd be happy with a career like John Sayles.

I knew it.  So, what was it like working with Edie Falco in "Sunshine State?"

Disco Stu

Here's his bio from IMDB.  It's quite funny.

Ratner grew up in Miami Beach, the only child of a famous Jewish socialite mother. He attended Miami Beach Senior High and was President of the Leo Club in 1986. He was also a member of the "fraternity" Royal Palm. He attended NYU film school. He also dated Rebecca Gayheart for many years; however, now he is single. He lives in a $3.6 M house in Beverly Hills, and has four assistants. Ratner is also a good friend of Def Jam mogul Russell Simmons, and has directed music videos for many rap stars.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trade mark
Opens his movies with a character singing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trivia

Got his start by directing rap and hip-hop videos for his friend Russell Simmons. When the original director of Money Talks had to be replaced, Russell Simmons recommended Brett Ratner

Once vowed he would not direct movies until he had directed at least 100 music videos.

Personal quotes
"There's no difference between a tacky Jew from Miami and a rap star. They both want the Cadillac and the Rolex with the diamonds."

Salary
Red Dragon (2002) $6,000,000
Rush Hour 2 (2001) $5,000,000
Family Man, The (2000) $5,000,000

Unbelievable that this PTA wannabe motherfucker got $6 million to rip of Jonathan Demme and Michael Mann.  I'll do that for $2 million.  I'm jealous.  I wouldn't mind the fact that he gets paid so well if his films were actually good but this just boggles the mind.

I also heard that there are strong rumors that Dante Spinoti was upset as he felt he had to both DP and often direct the film, because Rattner was merely socializing with the cast and crew.

Fuck Brett Ratner.
I used to do drugs.  I still do but I used to too!

©brad

Quote from: Disco Stu
Salary
Red Dragon (2002) $6,000,000
Rush Hour 2 (2001) $5,000,000
Family Man, The (2000) $5,000,000

[/shaking head]  :(

MacGuffin

Quote from: Disco StuRatner is also a good friend of Def Jam mogul Russell Simmons, and has directed music videos for many rap stars.

He used Run from Run DMC as the janitor who finds Lecter's toilet paper note in Red Dragon.

Quote from: Disco StuUnbelievable that this PTA wannabe motherfucker got $6 million to rip of Jonathan Demme and Michael Mann.  I'll do that for $2 million.  I'm jealous.  I wouldn't mind the fact that he gets paid so well if his films were actually good but this just boggles the mind.

My friend, this is Hollywood. Your movies don't have to be good. They have to make money.

Quote from: Disco StuI also heard that there are strong rumors that Dante Spinoti was upset as he felt he had to both DP and often direct the film, because Rattner was merely socializing with the cast and crew.

In The Red Dragon Dir. Ed. DVD doc, he asks Dante if he could call up Mann and ask him to do a cameo as the commisioner. It cuts away though right when Ratner starts to dial the numbers.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Why did Dante work with that hack? Fuck. I'm sick & tired of shitty directors getting credit for the brilliant visuals completely created by the DP. Oh well, these directors-for-rent are just put there by the studio to say action & cut.

Die Ratner.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ernie

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: ebeaman69
Oh yeah,
I must see his student film! I wanna see how little talent he has without the explosions and the fight scenes and the bad screenplay.
Don't go dissin' Ted Tally now.

Oh, I'm not at all. I was talking about whoever wrote The Family Man and Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2. I haven't seen Red Dragon.

BackUpOffMeFoo

Quote from: miss jonesone day you may realize that having talent has as much to do with "making it" as having a cock has to do with getting laid

Bing.

Not as in crosby
As in cause be

Take notes when knowledge emotes.
Serious?