for the sake of it...

Started by mutinyco, April 24, 2004, 11:48:13 PM

mutinyco

I'm bored so I'm linking the art page from MovieNavigator for anybody who hasn't seen it. http://movienavigator.org/artstuff.htm
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Chest Rockwell

Wow, how are you able to get those big names to have an interview?

Thrindle

Wow.  The "Trickle Down Theory" brought tears to my eyes.  It took a moment for his eyes to meet mine, and then I felt my stomach drop.  Absolutely stunning picture.  I'm actually shocked at how moved I am by it.

Great work.
Classic.

mutinyco

Quote from: Chest RockwellWow, how are you able to get those big names to have an interview?

Thanks. Lots of hard work and making connections. That's what the site was about. Feel free to rummage through the rest of the site. Lots of other names. Lots of interviews.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

mutinyco

Photos from the NYFCC Awards last January. 16 pages. http://nyfcc.com/photos.html

-St. Joe

The Disco Kid

My favorite is Mother And Child. It captures something True and something actually relevant, in the big sense, that is pretty rare in most of contemporary art. A lotta people would probably call it Rockwellian and fault it for the same reasons they fault him, but I think it reveals something universal, and primal, and really beautiful. To say it's sentimental or cliched is to ignore the fundamental aspect of life itself that is being hinted to, the depths and breadth of which are limitless in their profundity--limited only by the viewer themself.

I think it goes way beyond just the love of a mother for her child and vice versa, and that to truly understand the scope of what is at play here, all the mysteries that branch from and through it, and its infinite implications, is to grasp one of the essential pieces of the jigsaw puzzle that is the Big Picture.

I believe art's primary functon is not to answer the unanswerable, but merely to prod us along the path to discovering these questions on our own. I think your drawing does its part.

mutinyco

Thanks. Yeah, that was kind of the point with that one, to be universal. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Unless, of course it's a sort of feel-good bit of pandering. But that's hardly the case. The other pieces are more surreal or abstract, but that one has an intimate immediacy to it. The detail was so excruciating, that if you look closely toward the top there's a mark from where I got frustrated and threw a tube of paint at it.

-St. Joe

reelistics07

that kid and the sky in "ooh that kinda looks like a dinosaur" reminds me of close encounters