punk band recommendations

Started by Ernie, March 31, 2003, 02:52:07 PM

Ernie

I was wondering if you guys could give me some recommendations for some good 70's/80's punk bands. Not any of that Blink 182 stuff...not 90's...the older stuff. The only ones I listen to right now are The Clash and The Ramones, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

BonBon85

Raikus

Some of my favorites aside from the Sex Pistols and Clash:

The Ramones, The Misfits, and the Kinks.

A current punk band I like is "Less Than Jake." They've got some good music you may want to check out.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Cecil

other than what was allready mentioned: x-ray specs, dead kennedys

also, give "anti-flag" a try. theyre a modern band, but they sure as fuck dont sound like blink 182. same with "refused"

bonanzataz

misfits with glenn danzig rock. without glenn, they blow.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ernie

Quote from: Raikusthe Kinks.

I love them! I didn't really know they were punk. They really are though...now that I think about it.

I also really like The Pixies. Do they have any other good songs other than "where is my mind", "debaser", and "here comes your man"???

Sleuth

Quote from: ebeaman69
Quote from: Raikusthe Kinks.
I also really like The Pixies. Do they have any other good songs other than "where is my mind", "debaser", and "here comes your man"???

Oh my yes, get anything you can by them
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeaman69I also really like The Pixies. Do they have any other good songs other than "where is my mind", "debaser", and "here comes your man"???

Pick this up:

Disc 1
1. Cecilia Ann
2. Planet Of Sound
3. Tame
4. Here Comes Your Man
5. Debaser
6. Wave Of Mutilation
7. Dig For Fire
8. Caribou
9. Holiday Song
10. Nimrod's Son
11. U-Mass
12. Bone Machine
13. Gigantic
14. Where Is My Mind?
15. Velouria
16. Gouge Away
17. Monkey Gone To Heaven

Disc 2
1. Debaser - (live)
2. Rock Music - (live)
3. Broken Face - (live)
4. Isla De Encanta - (live)
5. Hangwire - (live)
6. Dead - (live)
7. Into The White - (live)
8. Monkey Gone To Heaven - (live)
9. Gouge Away - (live)
10. Here Comes Your Man - (live)
11. Allison - (live)
12. Hey - (live)
13. Gigantic - (live)
14. Crackity Jones - (live)
15. Something Against You - (live)
16. Tame - (live)
17. Wave Of Mutilation - (live)
18. Where Is My Mind? - (live)
19. Ed Is Dead - (live)
20. Vamos - (live)
21. Tony's Theme - (live)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ShanghaiOrange

The Who :(
Iggy Pop and The Stooges
Early Velvet Underground
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Rudie Obias

Quote from: cecil b. demented

also, give "anti-flag" a try. theyre a modern band, but they sure as fuck dont sound like blink 182. same with "refused"

dude!  refused is probably the best punk band of the 90s.  "the shape of punk to come" is so ahead of its time.  too bad they're not around anymore.  there are so many bands today that try to sound like refused like the used, recover and the rise but they don't even come close.  listen to (international) noise conspiracy if you like refused.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: ShanghaiOrange
Early Velvet Underground

yes yes the early v.u were quite punk

i dunno is it me but somehow i think when they became a billy ocean cover band things changed

Cecil

Quote from: rudieoblisten to (international) noise conspiracy if you like refused.

will do. any specific album i should start with?

ShanghaiOrange

I forgot about the MC5 and the New York Dolls. Those two bands practically invented punk as it's known today.

'Kick Out The Jams" by the MC5 is probably my favorite punk song ever.

Interesting history note: That song was the first time the word "motherfucker" was ever released on an album
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

moonshiner

Quote from: ebeaman69I also really like The Pixies. Do they have any other good songs other than "where is my mind", "debaser", and "here comes your man"???

anybody ever listen to Frank Black and the Catholics, much different sound than Frank Black had with the Pixies, i love the steel guitar...pretty good stuff but who would've thought it would sound like this
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one