CAMPION

Started by Finn, November 13, 2004, 05:30:40 PM

godardian

An Angel at My Table is Campion's best film, IMO; what with all the Criterion whores 'round here, I'm surprised it's not been brought up. It's excellent and exactly the kind of story she clearly became a filmmaker in order to tell. Sweetie is quite nice, a tad self-consciously "quirky." Portrait of a Lady is very nicely done except for the silly title credits. Holy Smoke! is divisive and probably flawed but really, truly interesting enough to be well worth seeing.

I would have to see The Piano again. Because that and Jean-Jaques Annaud's The Lover came out at around the same time--in 1993, when I was 17--I kind of think of them as a pair of erotica-tinged art-house films of a very particular type, but in retrospect, they both fit too easily into that type. That being said, I will always remember both as a bit of a cinematic awakening for me.

I kind of think of Sally Potter as the more successful version of a feminist filmmaker. When you compare her to Jane Campion, there's a bit more rigor and adventurousness in her work that, on the whole, places her films a notch above.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Cornish well-versed for 'Star'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Abbie Cornish in negotiations to topline Jane Campion's period romance drama "Bright Star."

The script, which Campion wrote and is directing, is based on the three-year romance between 19th century poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne, which was cut short by Keats' untimely death at age 25. Cornish will portray Brawne.

Pathe International is behind the movie, which is being produced by Jan Chapman.

The production is eyeing a late summer or early fall start.

The CAA-repped Cornish recently starred opposite Russell Crowe in Ridley Scott's "A Good Year." She will appear in "Stop Loss," directed by Kimberly Peirce, coming from Paramount later this year, as well as in the Cate Blanchett starrer "The Golden Age," directed by Shekhar Kapur.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Whishaw in 'Star' turn for Campion pic
Source: Hollywood Reporter

LONDON -- Ben Whishaw, who starred in "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer," is sniffing out a lead role in writer-director Jane Campion's "Bright Star," the film's team said Wednesday.

Whishaw is in final negotiations to star as poet John Keats in the period romance drama for Pathe International.

"Star" focuses on the three-year romance between 19th century poet Keats and Fanny Brawne, to be played by Abbie Cornish. The poet's romance was cut short by Keats' untimely death at age 25.

Whishaw is about to begin shooting "Brideshead Revisited," alongside Hayley Atwell and Matthew Goode, and in the fall will appear in Todd Haynes' "I'm Not There" as one of the seven actors portraying Bob Dylan.

Campion's movie is scheduled to begin filming in late summer or early fall.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 04, 2007, 10:56:34 PM
Ben Whishaw, who starred in "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer," is sniffing out a lead role

Heh... I see what they did there.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Quote from: polkablues on April 04, 2007, 11:36:32 PM
Quote from: MacGuffin on April 04, 2007, 10:56:34 PM
Ben Whishaw, who starred in "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer," is sniffing out a lead role

Heh... I see what they did there.

You must have a sixth sense.

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

"i see bad puns.."

MacGuffin

Jane Campion Near Deal to Direct Adaptation of 'The Flamethrowers'
Source: Variety

Jane Campion is nearing a deal to direct an adaptation of Rachel Kushner's New York Times bestseller "The Flamethrowers," according to The Guardian.

The legendary filmmaker told the newspaper that Scott Rudin is on board to produce the film about the underground art scene.

Kushner's novel explores art and radicalism in 1970s New York. The critical hit, which was dubbed a feminist novel by many, was a finalist for the National Book Award last year.

Most recently, Campion co-wrote and co-directed the 2013 Sundance Channel miniseries "Top of the Lake," which earned star Elisabeth Moss a Golden Globe win.

As the first woman to win a Palme d'Or and the second woman to ever be nominated for a directing Oscar, Campion is a pioneer in the industry. She won an Oscar for writing the 1993 drama "The Piano."

"Filmmaking is not about whether you're a man or a woman; it's about sensitivity and hard work and really loving what you do," she told The Guardian. "But women are going to tell different stories. There would be many more stories in the world if women were making more films."

Campion is currently serving as president of the Cannes Film Festival jury.

Skeleton FilmWorks