Michael Moore

Started by MacGuffin, January 08, 2003, 03:27:41 PM

MacGuffin

American satirist Michael Moore has stormed out of Britain after a bust up with the London theatre hosting his one-man show. The Bowling For Columbine moviemaker performed Michael Moore - Live! to packed audiences for two months before Christmas at The Roundhouse in Camden, North London. But on the penultimate night he reportedly flew into a rage, verbally attacked everyone associated with the theatre because he thought he wasn't being paid enough. During the performance he complained he was making just $750 a night. A member of the stage crew says, "He completely lost the plot. He stormed around all day screaming at everyone, even the £5-an-hour bar staff, telling them how we were all conmen and useless. Then he went on stage and did it in public." Staff retaliated by refusing to work the following night, which led to the show being held up for an hour. Eventually he made a groveling apology to staff and the angry audience finally took to their seats. A source reports that Moore then packed his bags and flew to New York the next day without saying thank you or goodbye to anyone.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Xixax

Yet another reason for me to dislike this blow-hard.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Tommy Both

Bet ya for a million bucks, Bowling for.. isn't gonna even get an Oscar Nomination for documentary (I think it deserves it most definately, also 9/11 by those French dudes and Lost In La Mancha, those freaked me out too)  :lol: - well ya can't beat them... those hypocritic fucks....ughh -hhhhCharlton Hestonhhhh - ughh.....

budgie

It's the time of year. Believe me, now is not the time to be in Britain and feeling not stressed and depressed.

A friend of a friend saw the Moore show and was freaked out cause he had the audience chucking their credit cards at him in evangelical fervour. I had assumed it was an ideological thing, but p'raps not, reading this.

I think he's ok. Loved Bowling. Simplistic but necessarily so.

Jeremy Blackman

Who knows the circumstances of this little episode? Let's not judge the guy before he has a chance to defend himself. I'm curious about it though... maybe he'll post something on his website.

Let's factor in a few things: He's probably been under a lot of pressure with his book and his movie, his mother died, and now he does theater? Probably not a good idea in the first place, but that might have something to do with it.

©brad

I leave for Britain next Tuesday to study for the semester. Am I in trouble? Never been to Europe before...

budgie

Depends whether you're studying within a budgie radius.

No. We're all cuddly and warm really. Just don't expect anyone to start a conversation with you.

GodDamnImDaMan

Hell ya! I dont blame Moore for storming out!

Over there they call french fries, "Chips!!!!!"

"CHIPS?!?!?!?!"

THE COMPLETE INSANITY!!!!!!!
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

Jeremy Blackman

I wonder if this complicates his good relationship with the BBC...

Jeremy Blackman

bonanzataz

I like Bowling for Columbine, but it seems like Moore just wants America to see how witty he is. Half the movie is him saying clever things. I like what he has to say, but a lot of the time I don't like the way he presents it. "Just give me the information, Janet! I want the information!"

That quote didn't really fit.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

'Stupid White Men' honored    

"Stupid White Men," Michael Moore's irreverent diatribe against President Bush and the conservative movement, was named Book of the Year at the British Book Awards.

The British Book Awards are nominated and judged by a panel of 400 publishers, wholesalers and booksellers, together with a telephone vote from the public. The awards, announced Monday night, usually reflect popular public taste rather than the views of the critics.

Organizer Merric Davidson said that Moore's book was boosted by a strong telephone vote, particularly a "very strong antiwar vote both from insiders in the book business and the public."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Michael Moore Developing HBO Series

Michael Moore, Oscar-nominated for his documentary feature Bowling for Columbine, is in talks with HBO to develop a nonfiction series, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The project is only in the early talking stages, but it would include some of the satirical and socially conscious material the liberal-leaning filmmaker tackled in his earlier TV newsmagazine-style series The Awful Truth and TV Nation.

Moore is riding high in Hollywood these days on the strong buzz and Oscar nod for "Columbine," which pulled off a surprise win for best original screenplay Saturday at the 55th annual Writers Guild Awards.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Moore Sets Up Scholarship for Rebels

Filmmaker and Michigan native Michael Moore has established a scholarship for students who defy the administration at California State University, San Marcos the same school that canceled his talk last year.

The Michael Moore Freedom of Speech Scholarship will award two $2,500 annual scholarships to Cal State San Marcos students "who have done the most to fight for issues of student rights by standing up to the administration," according to a news release issued Wednesday.

The first scholarships will be awarded in the 2005-2006 academic year. Winners will be announced in June.

Cal State San Marcos President Karen Hynes revoked Moore's invitation to speak on campus last fall because she said the school was prohibited from spending state money on partisan political activity. Hynes said she did not believe there would be enough time to find a speaker whose opinions could balance Moore's liberal views.

A call to Hynes' office was referred to Cal State San Marcos spokesman Rick Moore, who has no relation to the filmmaker and said he did not wish to discuss the merits of the scholarship that encourages students to stand up to administrators.

"Mr. Moore has the right to do whatever he wishes to do and we're glad to see another scholarship available to students who go to our school," he said.

In October 2004, the "Fahrenheit 9/11" filmmaker spoke to 10,000 people off campus at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, where he announced his plans to start what he called a "hellraiser" scholarship.

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

that's cute and all, but a lil' bit tacky?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton