sigur ros & mogwai

Started by abbey road, May 20, 2003, 11:21:23 AM

mogwai

crono or fernando, did one of you attend the mexico gig?

Fernando

I didn't, I don't live in México City, and right now I just can't afford the trip to go there just to see a crappy concert.  :yabbse-wink:

mogwai

Quote from: Fernando on March 20, 2006, 12:52:36 PM
I didn't, I don't live in México City, and right now I just can't afford the trip to go there just to see a crappy concert.  :yabbse-wink:
i wasn't talking about the U2 gig! beeyotch! :yabbse-grin:

hedwig

no i didn't, it ended up being more expensive than i thought it was going to be and in a really small place full of hipsters.
context, context, context.

mogwai

i'm hearing news that they'll return in the summer to play the estadio azteca! :shock:

Sigur Rós

Hey mogs, do you know if they will be playing any European festivals in the summer? I've bought my Roskilde ticket!

mogwai

there's currently no dates planned for roskilde. they're booked for festivals in finland, spain, belgium, japan, germany, france.

gob

Considering a bunch of bands they're compared to etc. I think I'd like Mogwai and wanna check em out.
Which album do you folks reckon is the best place to start?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Rock Action is my personal favorite, but I'm not exactly as much an authority, as oh say... Mogwai.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

mogwai

walrus is right because "rock action" (2001) is probably the most accessible, maybe. then you should go with the others like "happy songs for happy people" (2003) and "mr beast" (2006). if you really like that sort of stuff and want more there's "come on die young" (1999) and "mogwai young team" (1997). those two are quite moody, gothy (?) and dark but they also contain some beautiful stuff. there's also compilation albums like "ten rapid" (1997) "ep+6" (2001) and "bbc sessions 1996-2003" (2005). and a quite goodish remix album called "kicking a dead pig" (1998) you might buy if you've gone mogwai mental. like me. there's also the "my father my king" (2001) single which is a 20 minute long song. they've begun to release singles to their albums and they contain mostly throwaways, remixes and live versions etc. enjoy!

Sigur Rós

Not long now mogs, not long now....  :yabbse-smiley:

Pwaybloe

Speaking of "Mogs," did we receive the unfortunate displeasure of his silent departure?

Pubrick

Quote from: Pwaybloe on September 08, 2006, 02:37:48 PM
Speaking of "Mogs," did we receive the unfortunate displeasure of his silent departure?
he'd been wanting to leave for a while, and had said his departures privately many times. then one day he finally went through with it, with blunt finality as you can see. i'm sure he'll still browse the site, even long-departed phil marlowe can be seen walking the village streets in the darkest hours of nite wearing an "i killed laura palmer" shirt.
under the paving stones.