The 80th Annual Academy Awards

Started by MacGuffin, September 12, 2007, 12:07:15 AM

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

cine

Ravi

Quote from: Cinephile on February 01, 2008, 10:03:21 PM
when did Cracked.com become the new Onion?

The link that squints posted is more like Something Awful's Photoshop Phriday.

MacGuffin

Oscar presenters and performers announced

Academy Awards telecast producer Gil Cates and Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Sid Ganis Thursday announced the presenters and performers for the Oscars.

The presenters scheduled to date are:

Alan Arkin, Jennifer Hudson, Helen Mirren, Forest Whitaker, Amy Adams, Jessica Alba, Cate Blanchett, Josh Brolin, Steve Carell, George Clooney, Penelope Cruz, Miley Cyrus, Patrick Dempsey, Cameron Diaz, Colin Farrell, Harrison Ford, Jennifer Garner, Tom Hanks, Anne Hathaway, Katherine Heigl, Jonah Hill, Dwayne Johnson, Nicole Kidman, James McAvoy, Queen Latifah, Seth Rogen, Martin Scorsese, Hilary Swank, John Travolta, Denzel Washington and Renee Zellweger.

Cates and Ganis also announced the performers of the nominated songs. Amy Adams will sing "Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted. "Also from "Enchanted" will be "That's How You Know," sung by Kristin Chenoweth and Marlon Saunders, and "So Close," to be performed by Jon McLaughlin.

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova will perform their nominated song, "Falling Slowly," from the motion picture "Once," and Jamia Simone Nash will perform "Raise It Up," from "August Rush," with the IMPACT Repertory Theatre of Harlem.

Writers Hal Kanter, Buz Kohan, Jon Macks and Bruce Vilanch will return to the Oscar telecast team.

Second-time Oscar show host Jon Stewart will also bring on several writers to work on the telecast.

The show will take place Sunday, Feb. 24, at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood and broadcast on ABC.

The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sunrise

I'd predict a big night for No Country...film, director(s), and adapted screenplay, supporting actor, and potentially cinematography, but Blood might sneak that one out and Deakin's double nomination doesn't help him.

I really hope Juno doesn't take home original screenplay, but I think it will.

Day Lewis is the prohibitive favorite for best actor, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Clooney might steal it.

Sleepless

Michael Clayton is going to steal Best Picture. DDL and JB are of course both going to win. My one big wish is that Diving Bell wins writing.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Pozer

Quote from: Sunrise on February 22, 2008, 10:59:49 AM
Day Lewis is the prohibitive favorite for best actor, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Clooney might steal it.

absolutely NO WAY! 

No Country.  pic, dir, sup act, edit, adapt, cin etc.  id love to see Robert steal cinemetography, and of course Paul screenplay.  i hope DDL isnt the SOLE winner of Blood  :yabbse-undecided:   

Juno  :oops:  diving bell would indeed be prettier.

EDIT: what the hell..

not really interested in the actresses this year, but i guess id say Julie Christie for best and Tilda Swinton for sup.

and the rest:

Art Dir - Sweeney
Org score - Atonement
Org song - Once
Doc - No End in Sight (heard it's the best anyhow)
Doc Short - Freeheld (guess)
Best Foreign - The Counterfeiters (trailer for this looks amazing!)
Animated Feature - Rat
Animated short - I Met the Walrus (like the title)
Live Action Short - Tanghi Argentini (not sure why)
Costume - Sweeney
Makeup - La Vie en Rose
Visual Effects - Transformers ( :yabbse-sad: )
Sound Mixing - No COuntry (screw Transformers)
Sound EDiting - No Country  ( "            " )

cine

ledger gets the biggest applause of the night.

Redlum

I was listening to Roger Deakins being interviewed and he was explaining how he used to be really cynical about the Oscars but in the last few years he has come to embrace it as a celebration of the years film making. I don't know if this coincided with a slew of Roger Deakins Best Cinematography nominations but I agree with him.

...does anyone where I can stream the ceremony live over the internet? The good British Broadcasting Corporation can't even be bothered to cover it on the radio.

As far as winners go, I think it would be great to see Casey Affleck get a win.

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Redlum on February 23, 2008, 01:04:15 PM
I was listening to Roger Deakins being interviewed and he was explaining how he used to be really cynical about the Oscars but in the last few years he has come to embrace it as a celebration of the years film making. I don't know if this coincided with Roger Deakins Best Cinematography nominations but I agree with him.

I say it is Hollywood congratulating itself for taking the time to recognize some lesser known films. The Oscars are proud to give the films the consideration, but they always make remarks about how they wish more popular films were nominated so ratings would be better. It's a back handed compliment. The Oscars also feature a host of compliments and thanks to individuals from within the Hollywood community who had done nothing more than create the show or help keep Hollywood a recognized part of American culture.

I also think the Oscars need to embrace the film festival format and have one award be dedicated to audience favorite. It would allow for fans to be invested in the award show because they would be able to choose their favorite. The Oscars also need get over the distinction between theatrical and television and accept some films made for television are worthy to be nominated and win.

Bethie

Quote from: Cinephile on February 23, 2008, 11:05:48 AM
ledger gets the biggest applause of the night.

hey, that was mine.

i'm sort of excited for the oscars. my friend and i planned a little jubilee. i'm going to wear my 'i drink your milkshake' shirt.
who likes movies anyway

cine

MacGuffin

We could all try the chat again, but can't guarantee it won't crash like last year.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 24, 2008, 01:01:04 AM
We could all try the chat again, but can't guarantee it won't crash like last year.

yeah i'm down. let's try it.

Redlum

I think I've found a web feed of ABC7 so I'd be up for chat tonight. Can anyone confirm that they are covering it live?

I just saw an advert for used cars from a guy wearing a cowboy hat. They advertising is both amazing and disturbing particularly having just watched 'Used Cars'.

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas