Robert Altman

Started by classical gas, November 17, 2003, 05:31:25 AM

classical gas

ok, i went through the whole list of the director's forum and didn't see anything on him, except one, that wasn't really a dedication about him, but about popeye.  did my eyes decieve me?  is there not a thread for him?  if so, please redirect me.  i just saw nashville for the first time tonight and recently saw mccabe & mrs miller, so i'm buzzed about him.

Pwaybloe

I think there's lots and lots of conversations about him all around this place, but no threads totally dedicated to him.  

I'll join in.  So you liked Nashville, huh?  It's probably my favorite of his.

If you just got into him, I suggest you try out this 5-year stretch of movies:

Nashville (1975)
California Split (1974)
Thieves Like Us (1974)
Long Goodbye, The (1973)
Images (1972)
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
Brewster McCloud (1970)
MASH (1970)

Some of the best in American cinema...

SoNowThen

I'd really like to see California Split, but it's impossible to find, even on vhs rental...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Quote from: SoNowThenI'd really like to see California Split, but it's impossible to find, even on vhs rental...

There's a site I visit sometimes that the owner has amassed a large collection of hard-to-find movies.  He will sell or trade you a VHS copy of California Split, if you like.  It's his favorite Altman film.  

But, I know it's hard to blind-buy something, especially from someone you don't know.  It's up to you.  

Click here for info on the movie, and email him if you're interested.

SoNowThen

I might just do that, thanks.

Um, before I shell out for vhs though, anyone heard of a possible dvd release? Mac or Mod?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

soixante

California Split was never even released on video.  It is hard, if not impossible to find, so I would recommend getting it any way you can.  It is worth a blind buy.  It is one of Altman's best films.  Along with Karel Reisz's The Gambler, also from 1974, California Split is the best study of compulsive gambling ever put on film.   If you enjoyed Rounders and Owning Mahony, you'll definitely like California Split.  Altman has done a fair amount of gambling himself, so he knows this milieu better than any other director.
Music is your best entertainment value.

SoNowThen

speaking of gambling, if I may sidetrack for a minute, I've always wanted to see ...Split, along with Ashby's "Lookin' To Get Out". Anybody seen that?

also -- if Split was never released on video, how'd you guys see it?

Slick Shoes

Funny, my video store carries California Split. I've almost rented it a dozen times. I didn't realize it was so hard to find. I guess I've become spoiled with this place. I just wish they carried more mainstream stuff -- I wanted to see T3: Rise of the Machines this weekend but they didn't carry it. I damn near broke down and got a membership at Blockbuster.

modage

Quote from: Slick ShoesI wanted to see T3: Rise of the Machines this weekend but they didn't carry it. I damn near broke down and got a membership at Blockbuster.

they were doing you a favor.  actually thats really funny that your store is so snobby that they refuse to carry mainstream movies.  mine has an incredible selection of rare crap, but also has like EVERYTHING (incl. mainstream movies).  but, now that i have netflix i rarely go there.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

soixante

I saw California Split on TV a few times in the 70's and 80's.  I was fortunate to see it on the big screen once, at a festival for Nevada movies back in 1978.  I'm pretty sure it has never been on video.  Maybe it came out on Beta in the late 70's.  Who knows.  Now the only way to see it is if it's on cable.  I hope they put it on DVD.  It was produced by Leonard Goldberg of Charlie's Angels and Melrose Place fame.

I saw Lookin' to Get Out in 1982, when it was released (briefly) in Los Angeles.  Not a very good film, considering it was directed by Hal Ashby.  I've only seen it once, maybe I should see it again, but the 1st impression was not good.

classical gas

Quote from: PawbloeI think there's lots and lots of conversations about him all around this place, but no threads totally dedicated to him.  

I'll join in.  So you liked Nashville, huh?  It's probably my favorite of his.

If you just got into him, I suggest you try out this 5-year stretch of movies:

Nashville (1975)
California Split (1974)
Thieves Like Us (1974)
Long Goodbye, The (1973)
Images (1972)
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
Brewster McCloud (1970)
MASH (1970)

Some of the best in American cinema...

How is "The Long Goodbye"?  It seems really interesting to me, and I've been thinking of getting it from netflix.

Yeah, I really liked Nashville.  I liked the pacing of the film.  It unravels itself so slowly and is at times a little boring, but not much.  But for the last hour, you're glued to the screen, because thanks to the pace of the film, the people seem so real and you're really interested in them by that point.
I'd also really like to see MASH, but i've put it off for so long.  I really want to see it, but war movies turn me off.  Some I like, but I'm always more hestitant when it's war related.

soixante

MASH is not a typical war film, just as McCabe and Mrs. Miller isn't a typical Western.  MASH is definitely one of Altman's greatest films.

Long Goodbye is great, too, a total reinvention of the film noir/private eye genre -- and beautifully shot by Vilmos Zsigmond.  After seeing this film, Spielberg hired him to shoot Sugarland Express.

SoNowThen

Long Goodbye is brilliant. Go buy it!!

Ernie

I remember "watching" a vhs copy or two of California Split on ebay SoNowThen, you might wanna check there too. I think that's where I'm going to get it off of if I do get it.

Anybody ever seen O.C. and Stiggs? Flix (the channel) plays it a lot. It's got some funny parts but it's not a great movie, it's a mess. I'd still watch it if you get a chance. It's kinda cool.