Michael Richards outburst

Started by MacGuffin, November 20, 2006, 11:30:41 AM

MacGuffin

Andy Dick apologizes for using racial slur

LOS ANGELES -- Two weeks after Michael Richards' racist tirade at the Laugh Factory, another white comic has been forced to apologize for using the same racial slur while cracking jokes at L.A.'s Improv comedy club.

Andy Dick, a stand-up comic and former co-star of the 1990s sitcom "NewsRadio," was outed by celebrity Web site TMZ.com on Tuesday for hopping onstage while comedian Ian Bagg was doing his routine Saturday and using the slur on clubgoers.

"Andy was heckling comedian Ian Bagg during his routine, when Dick allegedly got out of his seat, jumped onstage and began joking with Bagg," according to the Web site. "The subject of Michael Richards came up, but the two comics quickly moved past it. As Dick exited the stage, he suddenly grabbed the mic and shouted at the crowd, `You're all a bunch of ... ' " -- using the same racial slur that got Richards in trouble.

The stunned crowd gasped and stared at each other, TMZ reported.

An Improv manager declined to comment on the incident Tuesday except to confirm Dick's presence at the club that night. Dick issued an apology through his publicist Tuesday afternoon.

"I chose to make a joke about a subject that is not funny," the statement said. "In an attempt to make light of a serious subject, I have offended a lot of people, and I am sorry for my insensitivity. I wish to apologize to Ian, to the club and its patrons and to anyone who was hurt or offended by my remark."

Dick's representatives declined to comment on TMZ's account of the incident.

Richards, a former co-star on "Seinfeld," also has issued several public apologies and has agreed to meet next month with the four black men he targeted during his racial-epithet-filled outburst at the Laugh Factory on Nov. 17.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

This one is on the retarded audience.  OK, Kramer fucked up, whatever.  But Andy Dick doing it, whether it's funny or not is one thing but it's obvious that he was referring to the Michael Richards incident and anyone who gets offended by certain words, regardless of the context, just shouldn't be in a comedy club to begin with.  These people were probably laughing at jokes about AIDS and abortions and 9/11 and other taboo subjects all night.  If Andy Dick douche chilled the audience by saying the N-word as a reference to a scandal that EVERYONE knows about, then it's entirely the audience's fault for not getting past the word and seeing that.  It's ridiculous for Andy Dick to have to make an apology for that because it's painfully obvious he didn't do it with any intent to offend.   

Come back, Dave Chappelle!  Come back!

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 06, 2006, 12:24:11 AM
As Dick exited the stage, he suddenly grabbed the mic and shouted at the crowd, `You're all a bunch of ... ' " -- using the same racial slur that got Richards in trouble.

It amazes me that in the article they don't even dare to print the word (nigger). I guess it's like the radical muslims where almost nobody dares to make a joke about them because immediately there'll be a death threat to the person/institution/city/state/country, not that the black community will do such a radical (stupid) thing, but surely they will whine about it.

I think I've said it before, ppl now days have their skin too thin, the Michael richards incident was just a bad comeback and maybe not even that, it was an attempt of a bad comeback but no more than that.

Quote from: polkablues on November 23, 2006, 02:21:22 AM
Let's look at it this way... if Kramer calling some dude the n-word during a stand-up routine is the worst thing to happen to the African-American community this week, I'd call that a hell of a good week for the African-American community.

Fully agree, also with sparrow.

pete

fernando you oughta go fuck yourself hard with an elephant's trunk.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: Fernando on December 06, 2006, 12:10:54 PM
...I guess it's like the radical Muslims where almost nobody dares to make a joke about them because immediately there'll be a death threat to the person/institution/city/state/country, not that the black community will do such a radical (stupid) thing, but surely they will whine about it.

Where nobody dares to make a joke about them?
...are you serious?

Fernando

Quote from: overmeunderyou on December 06, 2006, 03:52:19 PM
Quote from: Fernando on December 06, 2006, 12:10:54 PM
...I guess it's like the radical Muslims where almost nobody dares to make a joke about them because immediately there'll be a death threat to the person/institution/city/state/country, not that the black community will do such a radical (stupid) thing, but surely they will whine about it.

Where nobody dares to make a joke about them?
...are you serious?

You're right, I used a bad example, when I wrote it I was thinking of a cartoonist somewhere in europe (I think) where he draw something that made fun of the Muslim religion or something related to them, and if IIRC he received death threats and made angry a lot of ppl, somehow that came to mind when I read that.

Sorry if I offended anyone or came off as a racist, because I am not.

matt35mm

Quote from: Fernando on December 06, 2006, 04:11:44 PM

I know!  That's what's so crazy about this!

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: Fernando on December 06, 2006, 04:11:44 PM
haha, this is what i meant by third time lucky. great material fernando! :yabbse-thumbup:
under the paving stones.

pete

I don't think anyone who overreacts to every bit of british comic news with his pronounced hatred for ricky gervais can really call people who react to racism "thin-skinned".
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton