NAME THIS MYSTERIOUS MOVIE

Started by Jake_82, April 24, 2003, 08:53:14 PM

polkablues

I mean, it's as good a guess as anyone's come up with, but it really doesn't fit the bulk of the description either, beyond having an evil reverend character.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

All of this is just reminding me that Michael Parks' death was never mentioned in our croakers thread.

Shame on us

RegularKarate

I thought the person who posted the question was the one that answered, but they're not.

Is it Pass the Ammo?

N

Sounds a lot like The Pleasure Drivers. It's got Billy Zane in it and it bored the shit out of me.
Has all those things you described though.

"The Pleasure Drivers" lays out three separate interconnected stories involving an adulterous therapist, a young sociopath call girl, a vicious lesbian hit woman, a white trash kidnapper, and a brain-damaged ex-cult guru. It's described as funny, sexy, edgy and dangerous. The Pleasure Drivers energetically explores the shadow side of Los Angeles and how it gleefully relates to the gasoline of libido.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425357/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

polkablues

jenkins

imdb 4.6/10

Andrzej Sekula's directorial follow up to Cube²: Hypercube

1/2 movie credits for the writer

[imdb photo]

his other movie credit, Midday Games, he co-wrote and directed

QuoteStanley stalks a beautiful woman. At a coffee house she magically turns into another beautiful woman who mistakes Stanley as her blind date. They proceed to have a strange, hot, funny blind date. Just as things start to get serious she turns back into the first woman, who is now extremely upset.

i'll never see it (?) but enjoyed learning about it, N you really made everyone proud

N

It would be easy to doubt that its a real movie based on that description haha.

pete

Quote from: RegularKarate on June 17, 2017, 03:03:53 PM
I thought the person who posted the question was the one that answered, but they're not.

Is it Pass the Ammo?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

digitalison

I'm looking to figure out the name of this strange eastern European movie I saw back in '97 or '98.  It was from a video store, so it's at least older than that.  It was in color.  From their clothes, it didn't seem that old.  Probably not before the 80s, but it's hard to gauge clothing period in a foreign country.

The problem is that it had practically no plot.  What fascinated me about it, however, was how they managed to take what would seem really innocuous, even pleasant, like a walk through a sunny meadow, and make it feel fraught with danger.  I guess it could have been the music, but I'm not actually sure there was any music at all.

-------------------------------
So, the whole thing reads like a dream sequence, but here goes:

This guy needs something.  I think maybe his daughter is sick or something.  He can get what he needs by going to this Special Spot in this Mysterious Area, but it's so dangerous to go there that people rarely attempt it, and you absolutely need a guide to get you to the right place.  It's this sort of abandoned industrial area that's so overgrown that it's more like being in the wilderness.

So he gets a guide, and they take some day-packs and they go in.  It's a bright sunny day: flowers, butterflies – you get the picture.  It's really bucolic, but the guide is like, "Walk exactly where I go, and don't stray from the path, no matter what you see."  It's implied that you might be killed, or disappeared, or maybe go insane.  You won't make it out.  Somehow they make this really scary, even though I don't even recall him being tempted by anything that made sense.

Later they get to a sort of tunnel – but it's only partly underground, and there are numerous breaks in the ceiling which let in plenty of light, and the end of the tunnel is maybe only 100 feet away.  As tunnels go, it doesn't look to be that daunting, but of course they manage to make it so.  This is probably the scariest part of the movie.

(SPOILER)
They both make it, but every step of the way is tense as fuck.  Finally they get to this concrete structure.  It looks like... maybe it used to be the ground floor of a parking garage, but the walls are all gone, and you can see the wilderness outside.  One part of it is covered in a shallow layer of water.  The guy goes and stands in the middle of this water, and silently... asks his question? ... makes his wish?  Nothing appears to happen, and they both leave.

(SPOILER)
The last scene in the film is just a tiny bit with him back at home, looking at his daughter.  She's staring at a glass, and it starts to move by itself, as though maybe she's developing psychokinetic powers.  Is she recovered, but with weird side effects or something?  I couldn't tell from the guy's expression whether he considers this a good or bad outcome, or whether it was intended or unintended.

-------------------------------
You can see how this would be difficult to find any information for, and I apologize for the vagueness of the description.  I figure someone out there must have seen it; had the sort of taste in movies that leads one to randomly sample a strange sounding foreign film on a whim. 

This seemed like the most comprehensive forum I could find, so I joined up just to ask this question.
Thanks for any help or hints you may have!

jenkins

polkablues

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Lottery

I hope he doesn't get weirded out but I really liked that dude's post. It really made an impression on him. A very popular title amongst movie dorks but this dude randomly caught this film nearly 20 years ago and he was entranced by the images and feelings of the film that he held on to them and described them the way he did.

Reel

Yeah, I'd never heard of the film nor do I know Tarkovsky's work very well but his description alone makes me really want to see it.