NAME THIS MYSTERIOUS MOVIE

Started by Jake_82, April 24, 2003, 08:53:14 PM

Ghostboy

I will delete this thread as soon as I've got an answer, or as soon as I remember myself....but there was a recent movie in which a boy pretended to saw a girl in half as a magic trick, and she started screaming, as if the magic trick had gone totally awry...only to reveal later that she was joking. This was a flashback, and then the boy and girl meet up as adults later on. I also remember it being a crappy (or at least not very good) movie, but I don't remember anything about it. I'm just wondering, because a script I'm working on has a scene with a girl getting faux-sawed in half, and I want to make sure it's not too similar to whatever film is barely there in my memory.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

it is totally not crappy!  watch it again, be amazed at how good at is.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Thanks, Mac! It's all flooding back!

I still haven't seen it a second time, but my memories of it are really mixed. I love some of what I remember, but hate other elements. I guess I should see it again to decide.

picolas

a middle-aged German man came into the store and said he'd just seen an advertisement at another store for a sci-fi Eddie Murphy movie in which "he's being chased by a beautiful woman in a space ship." i suggested Pluto Nash but he said it definetly wasn't that.

MacGuffin

Quote from: picolas on February 02, 2007, 05:13:06 PM
a middle-aged German man came into the store and said he'd just seen an advertisement at another store for a sci-fi Eddie Murphy movie in which "he's being chased by a beautiful woman in a space ship." i suggested Pluto Nash but he said it definetly wasn't that.

Could be Starship Dave.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

Quote from: bigideas on May 29, 2005, 12:50:35 PM
i've been doing a bunch of internet searching of older tv shows/movies i watched when i was younger. as i was doing so, memories of two things came to mind:

1. the first was a cartoon that aired on ABC i believe. i thought of it when i was reminded of ABC Afterschool specials, but i believe this might have been shown as some type of Saturday morning special. it involved a bumbling knight and a dragon. i remember there was a lot of orange in the coloring. maybe even the knight's suit or whatever was orange.

2. some movie where there is a crane in a muddy pond/swamp that is thought to be a dinosaur or like a lockness monster.

odd. talking to my mother today this popped into my head again. i remembered this thread for finding out about Monster Squad, but had no recollection of asking about this..........deja vu-ee-oo-ee-oo!
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

tpfkabi

Quote from: bigideas on June 03, 2007, 10:47:57 PM
Quote from: bigideas on May 29, 2005, 12:50:35 PM
i've been doing a bunch of internet searching of older tv shows/movies i watched when i was younger. as i was doing so, memories of two things came to mind:

1. the first was a cartoon that aired on ABC i believe. i thought of it when i was reminded of ABC Afterschool specials, but i believe this might have been shown as some type of Saturday morning special. it involved a bumbling knight and a dragon. i remember there was a lot of orange in the coloring. maybe even the knight's suit or whatever was orange.

2. some movie where there is a crane in a muddy pond/swamp that is thought to be a dinosaur or like a lockness monster.

odd. talking to my mother today this popped into my head again. i remembered this thread for finding out about Monster Squad, but had no recollection of asking about this..........deja vu-ee-oo-ee-oo!

after posting this i decided to give it a go on the Monster Squad IMDB board and i think i have it now:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091810/

and of course it's not officially on dvd....

admin edit: fixed a munted quote

bonanzataz

so, this had the featured quote on imdb today, and it brought back a FLOOD of memories, particularly my delight in flipping through the cable channels as an eight-year-old and finding out that star josie bisset of my favorite tv show melrose place was in a movie about an eight-year-old that kills his dysfunctional family and his subsequent foster families. in attempting to show this film to my cousin at the video store, my aunt claims she saw a black man in the parking lot with a gun (keep in mind, this is post-rodney king verdict. and my family is racist) and she calls the police. we wait in the video store for over an hour to see the outcome, and the violent movie is deemed inappropriate for the evening.

i know where $27 of my paycheck is going this week...

who'd have thought an OOP dvd of a shitty movie would cost so much? the more perplexing question, who'd have thought i'd actually pay for it?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

w/o horse

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 07, 2006, 11:33:10 PM
Quote from: Losing the Horse: on February 07, 2006, 11:29:01 PM
Does Phantasm II have creatures?  Or some big creature?  My memory, though obviously not too clear, is of a creature or something fucked up enough to make my kid mind think it was a creature.  The plot I can't remember at all.  I want to say that it was in sterile colored rooms, like a space ship or labratory or something.  I remember the color grey, a creature, and me being too scared to continue.  I went and watched the remaing portion of another movie, so the creature came early or halfway.  Not at the very end you know.

Hmmm... My guess by that description would be:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097737/

PS you were so right and I didn't even know it until I saw the dvd cover of the chick swimming above the scuba diver.

And my longest movie riddle is put to rest.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Stefen

Okay so my little brother and I are trying to remember the name of some 80's horror movie. The poster/cover at the video store had a guitar that was morphed into some kind of monster. I think the movie was about an evil guitar or something. My brother swears there was a scene involving someone getting hurt in a trans-am or Camaro, but I don't remember it.

Any ideas?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Stefen on November 11, 2008, 12:52:55 PM
Okay so my little brother and I are trying to remember the name of some 80's horror movie. The poster/cover at the video store had a guitar that was morphed into some kind of monster. I think the movie was about an evil guitar or something. My brother swears there was a scene involving someone getting hurt in a trans-am or Camaro, but I don't remember it.

Any ideas?

:?:

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 11, 2008, 01:02:16 PM

Is this movie any good?
(I'm assuming it's quite cheesy, so I mean 'so bad it's good' good.)

Stefen

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 11, 2008, 01:02:16 PM
Quote from: Stefen on November 11, 2008, 12:52:55 PM

Any ideas?

My brother says that not it. I think it might be. My brother swears the title has the word rose or something like it in it. I think he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about and is mixing up 3 or 4 different movies we watched as a kid.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

72teeth

im looking for an xmas present for my dad... besides diehard and breaveheart and all the other normal dad movies, some of the best ones he likes is dead man and the nakred prey.... any ideas you guys?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza