George Clooney

Started by Weird. Oh, October 23, 2005, 01:56:29 AM

Weird. Oh

Couldn't find a thread dedicated to him (maybe I'm blind redirect me if need be), but when I read this article it was pretty sad. Especially since he's made two pretty decent films in the past few years. not a bad actor either. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-1838921,00.html
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Ravi

I had no idea all that happened to him.  What terrible luck.

Ravi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4409940.stm

Clooney denies London bar scuffle
George Clooney has denied a report that he was involved in a scuffle with a security guard outside a London bar.

The London Evening Standard claimed the actor got into a fight early on Friday morning after using the rear exit of the Meza bar to avoid photographers.

In a statement, 44-year-old Clooney said he "did not get into a fight", but was coming to the aid of a woman he believed was being mistreated.

"I won't stand by while someone is being insulted and maligned," he said.

Gala screening

The Hollywood star was in London's West End on Thursday night for a gala screening of his latest film, Good Night, And Good Luck, at the 49th London Film Festival.

The movie - Clooney's second as a director - is set during the early years of broadcast journalism in 1950s America.

A statement from his Los Angeles-based publicist, Stan Rosenfield, said the actor "did not get into a fight with a security guard", but did "get into an argument with someone connected with the movie".

"While it had nothing to do with the paparazzi, it did have everything to do with someone being unkind to a woman.

"While no punches were thrown, George told the person to knock it off," the statement added.

A spokeswoman for Meza said none of its staff were involved in an incident with Clooney, but the actor's British management had hired security guards for the reception.

Thrindle

Quote from: Ravi on November 05, 2005, 05:58:29 PM"I won't stand by while someone is being insulted and maligned," he said.

Sigh... He's so chivalrous... Oh, this is just too much fun!  :love:
Classic.

polkablues

Women want him, men want to be him... Italian villas want him to live in them....

Hell holds a special place for people who have it this good.   :violin:

And then he goes and gets a spine injury and I feel guilty for him!   :brickwall:

Sigh... you're a cool guy, George Clooney.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ono

Find Your Magali

Solid actor, who looks, by all accounts, like he could go on to become a more interesting as a director than he ever was as an actor. .... Of course, he'll have his acting career to thank for the directing opportunities he has now received.

After the star-turn on ER, he could have very easily scuttled his acting career by making bombs One Fine Day, The Peacemaker and Batman & Robin right out of the chute in the movie biz. ... Greater actors could have been finished at that point.

But he hung in there, and, for sheer quality, I think few people can rival his late 90s streak of Out of Sight; The Thin Red Line; Three Kings; O Brother, Where Art Thou?; Ocean's Eleven (the least important film of that bunch, but still damn entertaining). .... Also in that mix was "The Perfect Storm," which was above average and probably more of a Petersen misfire than a Clooney misfire.

With Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and Good Night, And Good Luck in the can, it will be interesting to see where Clooney goes as a director. ... Maybe he will belong more to the Director Thread than the Actor Thread in the near future.

Pubrick

is anyone else anticipating a clooney backlash?

it seems everyone loves him (myself included), something's gotta give..
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

George Clooney is this generation's Marcello Mastronioni. One of the highest compliments.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 28, 2005, 12:34:34 AM
George Clooney is this generation's Marcello Mastronioni. One of the highest compliments.

That's one kind of dramatic role he really hasn't tried to tackle, though. ... The 8 1/2 or La Dolce Vita kind of film about life, romance, the human heart, the inability to truly change, etc....unless you count Solaris, which doesn't really count for purposes of what I'm specifically referring to, because it's sci-fi.

I'd love to see him tackle something Mastronioni-esque that says something about what it's like to live and love and have anguish and introspection in the 21st century. ... And it sounds like it wouldn't be too far from what his real life is like. He's been attached to many women, with no commitments....

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Find Your Magali on November 28, 2005, 12:41:40 AM

That's one kind of dramatic role he really hasn't tried to tackle, though. ... The 8 1/2 or La Dolce Vita kind of film about life, romance, the human heart, the inability to truly change, etc....unless you count Solaris, which doesn't really count for purposes of what I'm specifically referring to, because it's sci-fi.

I'd love to see him tackle something Mastronioni-esque that says something about what it's like to live and love and have anguish and introspection in the 21st century. ... And it sounds like it wouldn't be too far from what his real life is like. He's been attached to many women, with no commitments....

You can count Solaris. With exception to certain ideas, It's science fiction identity hardly describes the film. It owes more to personal drama.

polkablues

As dangerous a comparison as that is to make, I'm inclined to go with it.

And "Solaris" is definitely one of the drops that fills that glass.  "Syriana" will be another.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ultrahip

I don't how many of you xixaxer's double as soccer hooligans, I know I do, but to the uninformed Chelsea FC is the best team in the FA Premiership, and in my opinion the whole world (even though they lost to Barcelona today but that was because of a bullshit red card).

Anyhow, a film is in the works to immortalize the squad, and Chelsea's manager Jose Mourinho wants George Clooney to play him, and Clooney in turn has expressed equal interest. Now I don't usually care for sports movies but this is my favorite team, and Clooney can do no wrong right now. All you other fans of the blue wave excited?

Redlum

Man, I love Newsnight and last nights Clooney interview was one of the best celeb interviews I've ever seen.

You can watch the whole 30 minute interview online for a short while here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/review/4744574.stm#

(I don't understand the BBC's love of garish lighting schemes at the moment, though)

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Pubrick

Quote from: ®edlum on February 25, 2006, 07:18:48 AM
You can watch the whole 30 minute interview online for a short while here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/review/4744574.stm#
checked half an hour ago and now, i only got 3 short 30 second clips.
under the paving stones.