Memorable theater experiences

Started by rustinglass, October 01, 2003, 01:30:02 PM

thedog

Quote from: Cecilwhy did you stay in so long? got lost, huh?

I should have been a bit clearer on that. The movie started at about 11:00 pm on the night of December 31st, and ended at about 1:00 am January 1st.

Ghostboy

I've got tons. Let me see...

-- Pulp Fiction, at the age of 13, having ridden to the dollar theater on my bike, changed my life. Same old story.

-- Going to a midnight show of A Clockwork Orange and coming out of the theater to discover a world blanketed in snow (this story reminds me that we've had a thread like this before), in Texas, in November. A snowball fight ensued.

-- The Sixth Sense, cause it was with a girl I really really liked and it just ended up being a really good memory.

-- Seeing PDL on opening night, right before I hopped on a plane for NYC.

Memories like these have ended up being more special than the times I've seen movies with directors in attendance (no one as cool as Tarantino or PTA, though) or seeing super advance screenings or anything. Like seeing 'Bounce' was really cool, since I went with John Pierson and he took me and my friend out for dinner afterwards. But man, 'Bounce' sucked bad, so that's not at the top of my list.

taintedlove

I turned a potentially bad experience into a great one...
I was watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in a packed house. Some young punks snuck in and started laughing at the (foreign language) dialog (with English subtitles). The crowd was too conservative (and too scared) to say anything. I yelled out: "It's okay, they don't know how to read!" Everybody in the theater laughed and cheered as the wasted youths left the building. We enjoyed the rest of the film in peace.

oakmanc234

'Fellowship of the Ring'. Brilliant atmoshpere. Packed cinema. Group of friends. Perfect seats. Came out feeling completely refreshed, incredibly happy and in total admiration of the film.
First time seing 'Pulp Fiction' at about 9 at night, alone in my room. Quite an experience. When it was over, I couldn't believe all the stuff I had just witnessed. Like a lot of people, it opened a new cinema door in my head.
First time seeing 'Jaws' when I was about 8. LOVED it.
'Jurassic Park', completely blown away.
Watching the final 20 mins of '8 Mile' in a packed cinema is an experience itself. We felt as if we were IN the shelter with the rap battles.
'The Blair Witch Project', in the first few minutes I felt like 'How could I ever feel involved in this, its so cheap looking, I feel like I'm observing whats going on'. Half an hour later, I was singing a whole different tune.
There would be heaps of others.....
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

ElPandaRoyal

Two years ago, they played Visconti's "The Leopard" here in Porto. It was the last day of the..... uh.... festivities of "Porto 2001 - European Capital of Culture". The theater was packed, everybody in the mood for some great cinema and, when we thought the film was about to start, 3 people enter the room... João Benard da Costa (a famous film critic and, I believe, director of the portuguese cinemateque), Jorge Sampaio (you may not know, but he's like The President of the Portuguese Republic) and then... Claudia Cardinale, the female lead of the film. They went on about talking how much they loved the film and how great Visconti was and all... It was a funny moment. I even kind of felt like a real person for beeing there with those celebrities and all.
Si

Just Withnail

Quote from: Ghostboy-- Going to a midnight show of A Clockwork Orange and coming out of the theater to discover a world blanketed in snow (this story reminds me that we've had a thread like this before), in Texas, in November. A snowball fight ensued.

-- The Sixth Sense, cause it was with a girl I really really liked and it just ended up being a really good memory.

Scary, two of mine are almost identical to these.

Seeing Fellowship of the Ring with my crush was incredible, and every time I watch it I just get hit by this wave of nostalgia, putting me back in that theater (Row 4, seat 9, on the balcony).

Then a year later, seeing Two Towers, and sadly beeing very underwhelmed (this time without my crush). Thing is, it's December 18th, and it hasn't been snowing all year. It's Christmas for Christ sake! I've never had a snowless Christmas in my life! My God, rarely have I been happier than when I discovered that snowy blanket covering the streets. In fact, my neighbour whom I walked home with, must've though I was nuts, as I semi-somersaulted on the street, and started making an angel in the snow where I lay, proclaiming my love for all things Christmas.

The Special Edition of The Empire Strikes Back is also forever burned in me, as I saw it alone at eleven. The showing was late, so the manager wasn't sure if he'd let me in, then he saw I was on the verge of crying, and let me in. Walking home alone from the theater that night, is one memory that'll forever, forever stay where it is. That day I noticed the beauty in the small things.

SoNowThen

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumTwo years ago, they played Visconti's "The Leopard" here in Porto. It was the last day of the..... uh.... festivities of "Porto 2001 - European Capital of Culture". The theater was packed, everybody in the mood for some great cinema and, when we thought the film was about to start, 3 people enter the room... João Benard da Costa (a famous film critic and, I believe, director of the portuguese cinemateque), Jorge Sampaio (you may not know, but he's like The President of the Portuguese Republic) and then... Claudia Cardinale, the female lead of the film. They went on about talking how much they loved the film and how great Visconti was and all... It was a funny moment. I even kind of felt like a real person for beeing there with those celebrities and all.

How's Claudia looking these days?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenHer friends didn't want her to go with me, and my friends coulnd't believe it.

Lol, that's horrible and funny at the same time. I love it. That's what it would be like for me. That's great. I love that whole situation. Good for you. I mean, even though it went downhill, it must have been cool for a little while. I've never been on a date so I can't say for sure but this reminds me of this one thing I always dream about...it's one of those ads they sometimes play before the previews. Most of them suck but I think this particular one might actually be cool...it's the one with the guy sitting in a movie theatre with a girl and they're just all motionless and bored...a subtitle comes up and says "worst movie ever" or something like that, then the girl puts her hand on his knee and another subtitle comes up saying "the best movie of all-time". I think that's cool. I think that might be true but as I said, I can't be sure. I have no way of knowing...some movies are so bad, I'm not sure that would improve the experience.

SoNowThen

Oh heavens you have no idea. Happy Sean. My balls felt like they were 50 pounds for about a week, I'll tell ya...

And then the rest was like my 2nd favorite title card: Long Way Down.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

AK

2001- space odissey in a special session that started at midnight of january 1st, 2001....

Cradle will rock  it was in in the afternoon of a wednesday...and i don't know what happened but the audience got the vibe of the end of the movie and everybody clapped...it was so nice.

PDL  mostly because i was so nervous and excited to (finally)watch ...and i was (i confess) scared with the possibility that i could hate...and became my fav PTA flick!

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: Weak2ndAct2nd place: Seeing 100 people walk out of Boogie Nights during Dirk's gay-trick scene..

Hahaha ! More than half the theater got out before the end when I saw it too...that means like 4-5 people though.

During the many times that I saw Magnolia in the theater, a lot of people walked out, and it was always at the same moment... in the wiping the frogs off the car scene.

SoNowThen

My parents said that a lot of people left the theatre during Linda Partridge's swearing at the drugstore. They to this day feel that the movie didn't do very well in the theatre because people couldn't take women swearing like Claudia and Linda do in the flick. I dunno, if that's the case, it just makes me hate the world that much more...

AK

Quote from: SoNowThenit just makes me hate the world that much more...

I understood memorable moments as good ones so i tried to avoid the "Magnolia Theatre moments" of my life cuz i hated the world in all of the four times too... the ones who left, the ones who slept :shock: , and the others who just looked to each others face like "I wanna my money back".

SoNowThen

That's terrible.

I was very lucky to have 4 1/2 out of 5 great Magnolia theatre experiences. I say I only half enjoyed one because of a lady who gasped constantly, but it was slightly amusing (when Mackey said "cunt" -- big gasp, when the dog ate the pill -- scared gasp).

AK

It was awful because it was the first movie in years which I didn't "just liked" but TRULLY LOVED and i felt like an alien for left the theatre with a grin in the face while everybody else was complaining.