Werner Herzog

Started by adolfwolfli, August 06, 2003, 01:05:56 PM

Ravi

I just finished Aguirre, Wrath of God.  Amazing film.  A gritty yet surreal film about the greed and perseverence of its subjects.  It takes to the extreme the traits that these European explorers had to have to be in such a place.  The film is more about absorbing everything sensually and not cerebrally and yet the film clearly has a particular vision and style.  This is the first Herzog film I've seen but from what I've heard about him, his films seem like they'd be the perfect combination of artistry and unpretentiousness.

JG

From IMDB:
QuoteGerman director Werner Herzog has hailed Christian Bale one of the greatest actors of his time. The pair worked together on prisoner-of-war thriller Rescue Dawn, but the 63-year-old film-maker insists he spotted Bale's prodigious talent long before they met on set. Herzog says, "I find him one of the greatest talents of his generation. We made up our own minds long before he did Batman." In the film, based on true events, Bale's character gets shot down over Laos during the Vietnam War and must hatch an escape plan when he is captured and tortured.

ShanghaiOrange

Hey boys and girls! HEY MOTHERFUCKING BOYS AND GIRLS!

Are you ready for some fucking Herzog?

How about 6 FUCKING DISCS OF HERZOG DOCS!?
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Yeah, but the price...   :yabbse-undecided: 
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

ShanghaiOrange

YEAH BUT YOUR MOM!   :evil:

Also, it's in Euros, so it's actually a good deal MORE than the advertised prices! Shit yeah!

Last five films (video)

I Don't Believe in Beatles

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

ShanghaiOrange

Quote from: Ginger on March 27, 2006, 10:37:24 PM
...but I, alone. am responsible for my spiritual existence.

Last five films (video)

Just Withnail

Shit. Seriously, shit! I can't afford that.

ShanghaiOrange

I bought it, and in doing so, exceeded my credit limit. And I'd do it again. You all are pussies. THE MAN TOOK A BULLET AND RESCUED JOAQUIN PHEONIX FOR YOU! HELP HIM OUT!

Last five films (video)

Alethia

yeah i heard about this a few months ago, ive been wanting to buy it but i cant now....soon tho, very soon, this needs to be owned....

grand theft sparrow

shanghaiorange, you make me laugh like no other member, monkeyman.
context, context, context.

Alethia

so i wasnt planning on meeting herzog til tomorrow but while watching High School before the Q and A with Fred Wiseman i looked to my right after hearing a familiar voice say "excuse me" to someone, and it was werner himself, two seats away.....i didnt approach him, i will tomorrow with my copy of land of silence and darkness...but i was at the reception afterwards so was he (wiseman unfortunately skipped it) and he ate alot of these crabcakes they were handing out, acting surprisingly friendly with everyone, even a few iffy lookin characters...anyways, ill come back tomorrow with what he says at the cnference and whatnot, but yeah I had a fun day - and it's my birthday!  worked out well

EDIT

saw herzog again tonight, this time i approached him, copy of LOSAD ready...he shook my hand and seemed rather pleased when he saw what dvd he was to sign for me, he said "this is a great film.  truly my favorite of them all.  i have a very deep love for this film." and i told him what i thought of it and he said "thank you so much for buying it, it means i get paid!".  the conference was cool too, some woman from nyu was there along with the guy who made tarnation, jonathan caouette, who was very friendly and approachable.  herzog talked about his excitement over cell phone video devices and how he believes a new aesthetic will emerge because of it, and he is eagerly waiting to see the first movies arise.  and frederick wiseman sat a row behind me.  terrific night.

pete

I was there too.  I had a cane because I had vertigo.  We drove 3 hours to the talk.  He shook my hand and for the first time in my life, I was speechless and I was almost like floored.  I just mumbled something unintelligeble and he smiled.  then earlier today I was at a record store in amherst when my friend Alissa spotted him going to lunch at some place and she tried her darndest to stall him while my buddy Ray ran to get me at the record store, but it was to no avail, he smiled at me from a distance and went to chow his meat.  so I was a little heartbroken.  my entire weekend consisted of partying and jamming and dancing and that talk, and not having a meaningful encounter with Herzog at that moment was just a cold shower.  I guess I'll have to work really hard now, to make a solid movie of some sort so I could meet him some day as somebody.
jonathan couette was just not on the same level as the other two filmmakers, and the moderator was a poop.
SO HEARTBROKEN.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton